SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, T. August said:

Over .5” of rain already.....

I figured precip obs can go in here too?

Yea that works.

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

In on what?  Wind?  Or the end of winter? 

Yea on the wind and the backside snow potential for his neck of the woods (NJ).

Just now, snowmagnet said:

Fairfax County sent out an email that they are monitoring the weather and will let us know by 5:15 am.  We closed for high wind a couple of years ago.  I would be shocked if most schools don't close with this kind of warning from the NWS.  

60-70 mph gusts.  I guess that’s bad.  We don’t get many HWW...wind advisories sure.  Inland hurricane warning is another good one.  

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It’s early.  They will all fall like dominoes eventually.  Just takes one to start and they didn’t use nearly that many days.  Our county gets 10 I think 

Maryland counties are much more restricted now due to the newly mandated start-stop dates. MoCo only had 2 built-in days and they've used 3 already. I think they can extend once more in June but any additional cancellations will come out of Spring Break.

Huh, didn't know winds are such a threat in MA before I moved here. Takes me back to SE Europe where no one cares unless Bora is gusting over 120. 

Also, cranky and HM seem pretty confident that the storm will deliver as expected or maybe even bust high.

1 minute ago, dukeblue219 said:

Maryland counties are much more restricted now due to the newly mandated start-stop dates. MoCo only had 2 built-in days and they've used 3 already. I think they can extend once more in June but any additional cancellations will come out of Spring Break.

We have 2 days left in June. Then it will hit spring break. 

3 minutes ago, Allisong said:

MCPS already has an early release tomorrow. They will probably wait until the am to make a call. We’re already over our days for this year. 

Yea we have an early release tomorrow also. We had 5 built in days and have used 3. We don't have anything to take away from spring break as the only days we get are Good Friday and Easter Monday which are state mandated. Frederick Co. is know for holding out till the last minute to make a decision. They better hope everyone charges their phones over night as if we loose power that is the only way people will be notified. 

3 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

Huh, didn't know winds are such a threat in MA before I moved here. Takes me back to SE Europe where no one cares unless Bora is gusting over 120. 

Also, cranky and HM seem pretty confident that the storm will deliver as expected or maybe even bust high.

For NJ certainly.  For most of us I wonder if the HWW will verify.  We were so close to something great.  100 miles SW and many would have been happy.  Tough year.  

The Frederick Scanner just put this up. Can anyone verify? 

The National Weather Service has increased the expected wind speeds for the high wind warning in effect beginning at 2300 this evening. Gusts are expected to increase to 60-70 MPH beginning at 0600 tomorrow morning, with gusts expected to reach 80 MPH. This is expected to last until 1200 hrs tomorrow's date. Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult,
especially for high profile vehicles.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Isabel: meh

Sandy: meh

Derecho: OMGWTFBBQ

that one takes the cake for sure as far as wind events

and who wants to go to the bay bridge tomorrow?  

i thought isabel was fun, though my girlfriend at the time did not appreciate me going outside every 10 minutes to check on the winds.  sandy had no chance.  we were on the left side, which is usually the crappy side of probably most storms, or something like that.  the derecho was legit.  i remember checking twitter after playing hoops and seeing the cwg tweet about a dangerous line of storms coming.  i had no idea what a derecho was, but i do now, though i think the lightning was the most ridiculous part of that storm.  it was like a disco.

the winds might be lame tomorrow, but the wet ground might enhance the power outages, which kinda sucks.

This is pretty strong verbage from Sterling at 8pm.

A wind shift to the west and
northwest is expected behind the front and strong winds will
accompany that shift. The gradient will continue to strengthen
overnight causing strong winds. Winds at the top of the mixing
layer continue to be modeled between 60 to 75 knots per latest
multi-model consensus, peaking between 5 am and 12 noon, with
mean mixed layer winds between 50 and 60 knots. Therefore a High
Wind Warning is in effect for the entire region with gusts
around 60 to 70 mph expected. Could see gusts even a bit higher
than that...especially across the ridge tops.

Concern is increasing for the Friday morning hours between 6 am
and 12 noon for the strongest period of winds. A feature similar
to a "sting jet" (Browning 2002, Schultz and Browning 2017) may
cross the region during this time frame, increasing the threat
for the 60-70 mph winds. There will also likely be some
rain/snow showers around during the morning hours, including the
Washington and Baltimore Metropolitan areas. Snowfall could
coat some grassy surfaces but recent warm conditions and
marginal temperatures suggest that paved surfaces will be wet.
Following this period, strong and damaging winds will continue
through Friday and well into Friday night before diminishing
slightly toward morning. The fact that this is a long duration
event and the ground will already be saturated means that
widespread tree damage is expected along with power outages.
This is going to be one of the most powerful wind storms in
recent years. Through this evening...it is a good time to secure
lightweight objects outside, and check flashlights and
batteries as well as other items needed in a power outage.

MCPS has never in my lifetime closed just for wind. Closing for wind accompanying a tropical storm/hurricane, yes. Closing because of widespread outages after a thunderstorm, yes. Individual schools closing because of power outages after an event, yes. Never for just high winds.

But what's very unusual about this event is the timing. The peak is forecast to coincide with the morning rush hour so there is more pressure than normal for disrupted schedules across the region. Think back to all the other high wind situations we've had over the past couple of decades-- very rarely have widespread 50 mph+ gusts happened during peak commute times. 

Archived