Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

4 minutes ago, cae said:

ICON is the most bullish of the 12z globals for snow.

jQiGGWt.png

The NAMs are still pretty much out on their own though.  If they verify they should just call that a career and retire on a high note.  Throw down the mic and spend the rest of their days forecasting how sunny it will be in San Diego. 

Going to be interesting to see what the 12z WRF-ARWs and WRF-NMM say... hope they agree with the 12z NAM twins

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cae said:

ICON is the most bullish of the 12z globals for snow.

jQiGGWt.pngThe NAMs are still pretty much out on their own though.  If they verify they should just call that a career and retire on a high note.  Throw down the mic and spend the rest of their days forecasting how sunny it will be in San Diego. 

RGEM and HRDPS are not in range yet and both show potential for wrap around moving into the area at the end of their runs. 

Just now, Chase said:

With the trees not foliated yet, would it be safe to assume far fewer trees will come down than in the spring or summer?

It's been dry in recent months and we haven't had a wind storm in awhile so it's possible we could see some come up.  Still like you said, there are no real areas that have leafed out.  It will be interesting to see how PEPCOs tree trimming program has fared with this event.

11 minutes ago, Chase said:

With the trees not foliated yet, would it be safe to assume far fewer trees will come down than in the spring or summer?

It has been wet recently, so even without full leaves on trees, there could definitely be some issues regarding downed trees. 

1 minute ago, H2O said:

dynamic cooling thing like the NAM showed.  Lets just get winds and call this a win

Both the Euro and GFS show pretty meager QPF totals around DC and south of DC for the event. Regardless of snow chances, the NAMs are on an island with QPF. It's hard to bet against the GFS/Euro combo for precip. Especially when there is a large disparity. I'll continue with zero expectations. lol

Both the Euro and GFS show pretty meager QPF totals around DC and south of DC for the event. Regardless of snow chances, the NAMs are on an island with QPF. It's hard to bet against the GFS/Euro combo for precip. Especially when there is a large disparity. I'll continue with zero expectations. lol

But the trend has been further south and west with accumulating snow.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sustained winds close to 30mph on the euro @ 18z on Friday. Gust panels still showing plenty of 60+ gusts around the region. That's a stretch but I agree with others that gusts into the low 50's are pretty likely. 

we havent been screwed by a miller B for a while...we can check off that box now for winter fails

5 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

But the trend has been further south and west with accumulating snow.

Up north there has been but we are so far out of the game I don't think we stand much chance. Even with wrap around making it down to the northern tier, temps are still in the upper 30's and low 40's. All the way to Philly too so it's not like cold is close or anything.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Up north there has been but we are so far out of the game I don't think we stand much chance. Even with wrap around making it down to the northern tier, temps are still in the upper 30's and low 40's. All the way to Philly too so it's not like cold is close or anything.

Not disagreeing with you... but then why are the NAMs so far off with accumulating snow down into our region?  Back portion of a remnant CCB?

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Not disagreeing with you... but then why are the NAMs so far off with accumulating snow down into our region?  Back portion of a remnant CCB?

Just my opinion but I think the NAMs are grossly overdoing QPF. Without heavy precip we can forget dynamic cooling. Seeing the GFS/Euro very close with QPF makes it easy for me to completely dismiss the NAMs. 

8 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Sign me up for a wind event. Wind is the reason I like tropical. Very excited for Friday. Hope this is one of the wind storms we all remember.

Ditto. I don't care at all if we don't see a flake. The wind is what I'm really interested in with this one.

I actually don't want precip moving in. It could mess up the mixing layer.

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

A Nor'Easter...in the Central US.   Well, ok.  

I'll give them as many Nor'Easters as they want, as long as they don't give us tornado alley. 

3 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

It’s easy to shovel. We’re looking at 2 feet of wind with this one

But what about the drifts???

Archived