Dano62
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ji said:

Gefs wasnt that bad. Still promising

Yeah, reading over the posting from last night and I thought this storm was dead and buried. Haven't looked at anything yet except for a very quick glance at the GEFS, so maybe my opinion will change, but I thought the GEFS looked promising. 

Overnight GEFS was fine. Very similar to the 12Z run though a touch slower and north with the closed low/trough at 500's and the coastal that forms. Trough and closed low are actually more conducive to tucking the coastal closer into the coast on its northward progression and we actually see that on the surface reflection. Though I would like these features to set up 50 miles or so farther south what it is showing puts us very much in the game and actually ups the ante a little for a longer duration event as we see the low run up the coast as opposed to seeing it move OTS before it runs north.

6 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Well I think I just closed my model tracking for the last time this year. Have a good summer everyone. 

The winter highlight is a wind storm that shuts down DC.  If some one told me that on 1 Dec I would have chuckled.

31 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looks as if that closed low above the lakes is going to screw up the 500's for us on this run.

thats how I saw it as well.  For this to work, we need good antecedent cold in place or great dynamics to manufacture our cold.  Not sure how we get there with this one.

Best shot to me is an early transfer to the coast, and a stall while column cools.  Lord knows I'm rooting this one on, but it feels like I'm cheering for the practice squad.

Thought I would throw up the last 4 op runs of the GFS. Notice the first three are very similar with the features at 500 mb within the circles. Now look at the latest run at the bottom (06Z).

12z.gif.6b8ff63cbfbbd463536d8c49999d9da6.gif

18z.gif.86aeb80564cbcf3d638d6a2a4c9c533e.gif

00z.gif.61a0c89ca75b2b04b069abad64b8166e.gif

The 06z GFS screws up the 500's as it absorbs the closed upper low south of the lakes into the pv feature in eastern Canada. We see this and our chances are pretty much done. Now at this point the 06z is on an island but looking at the previous 3 op runs I can see how this could possibly occur. Do I buy it? Probably not at this time. But knowing for sure is a whole different thing. 

06z.gif.386688fa3b0ab53bb28c1a343b462970.gif

Now the 06z will go off on its own on a occasion. Sometimes it is leading the way for future runs and sometimes not. But I find more often then not it is just flat out wrong. It will be interesting to see what the GEFS throws out. Will it follow the hive mentality (and follow the op run) that others have mentioned or will it stay the course from previous ensemble runs. Either way I am not sure it will give us much clarity on the validity of the 06z run. Only future runs will clue us in on that.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

A little tucked in but not too bad. Hope lives. 

Tucked can work in march btw when these systems tend to wind up really tightly. 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gefs still has a transfer off Va. Beach ...it still believes ..lol.

Several  nice hits esp for nw burbs 

I found it interesting that some were baling after seeing the 06z op run. It looks as if could potentially be getting very interesting shortly. Fingers crossed. :) 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

06Z GEFS shows fairly good continuity with the 00Z though it did make a very slight move towards the 06Z op run solution.

I'm not throwing the towel. That said things are bleeding the wrong way and we can see it. Pretty much all other guidance was bad already. And now the gfs is leaky. A bad op run. Slight trends the wrong way each run at h5. This is likely heading to fail. But it's close enough that a reversal of that trend is "possible" and wouldn't take much to get it right. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not throwing the towel. That said things are bleeding the wrong way and we can see it. Pretty much all other guidance was bad already. And now the gfs is leaky. A bad op run. Slight trends the wrong way each run at h5. This is likely heading to fail. But it's close enough that a reversal of that trend is "possible" and wouldn't take much to get it right. 

We've been around long enough to know that things can and do go south on us quite often. So this very well could be a fail. That said I will keep tracking it until such time.

Looking at the overnight EPS and it still has a bad look but it did look as if it made a slight move towards the GEFS. Could be nothing more then noise or just a movement towards a solution in between the GEFS and the EPS but you never know.

18 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I found it interesting that some were baling after seeing the 06z op run. It looks as if could potentially be getting very interesting shortly. Fingers crossed. :) 

I don't blame anyone. It's been a long sucky year. Bailing is fine.  I don't care what others do. It's the people that come in here to call us stupid and tracking a waste of time that irritate me. I find watching cars drive in circles a waste of time but I don't go into NASCAR message boards and tell people that. They like it. Good for them. Who am I to take a dump on their hobby. 

ETA:  I respect the skill and knowledge it takes but racing just isn't my thing. 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

We've been around long enough to know that things can and do go south on us quite often. So this very well could be a fail. That said I will keep tracking it until such time.

Looking at the overnight EPS and it still has a bad look but it did look as if it made a slight move towards the GEFS. Could be nothing more then noise or just a movement towards a solution in between the GEFS and the EPS but you never know.

That's my guess how this ends and that probably won't work. But a compromise could be close enough that some late favorable breaks go our way. 

I'm also interested in what happens after. Even with a fail scenario a clipper could dive down the back side behind the march 7th storm and those can amplify this time of year. 

Beyond that march 12 still holds my attention as a setup with potential. The gfs and ggem are very close to a big storm there. Both just slightly north. But that's a west to east thing not a miller b. That could trend south some. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That's my guess how this ends and that probably won't work. But a compromise could be close enough that some late favorable breaks go our way. 

I'm also interested in what happens after. Even with a fail scenario a clipper could dive down the back side behind the march 7th storm and those can amplify this time of year. 

Beyond that march 12 still holds my attention as a setup with potential. The gfs and ggem are very close to a big storm there. Both just slightly north. But that's a west to east thing not a miller b. That could trend south some. 

Granted I haven't looked to hard beyond our day 5/6 storm but from what I have seen it looks to be very active with systems in the ball park for possible snow. The next couple of weeks could get interesting. Or not. 

6z gefs was a forum divider. Weenie run western VA and north of D.C.   Not so much south and east of DCA.  It really bumped up snow for day 5 for Baltimore north. Weeniest run yet for the northern 1/3. For the D.C. area it was only a slight improvement over 0z. 

There is another bump in snow from day 8-13. It's seeing both the clipper idea and the wave around the 12th. Scattering of hits for both ideas. 

To PSU, CAPE, Bob Chill and those that make this wx forum come to life thank you! I read the remarks and learn a bit more. I’m a lifelong DC resident about to hit 50 yrs of age and think my first wx memory was Hurricane Agnes. I’m a snow lover first and foremost ever since I was 7  or 8. PSU thanks for keeping this winter wx hope on life support. Each winter seems to have a personality of it’s own, this winter is sure strange....the discussions explain why it’s so hard for snow to fall here this year. A 4” snow really would be wild if it occurred this March. Will end as I started and say thanks and will keep the faith 

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

6z gefs was a forum divider. Weenie run western VA and north of D.C.   Not so much south and east of DCA.  It really bumped up snow for day 5 for Baltimore north. Weeniest run yet for the northern 1/3. For the D.C. area it was only a slight improvement over 0z. 

There is another bump in snow from day 8-13. It's seeing both the clipper idea and the wave around the 12th. Scattering of hits for both ideas. 

I noticed, but I didn't want to bring it up. Some nice hits for up in our local. But the models have plenty of time to screw us over as well. :lol: 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived