Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, gfs is bleeding. Not what we want to see inside of 4 days. I was pretty much expecting it after having no support from other globals except the jma. Maybe the gfs and euro reverse roles and it ends up being a wash. Otherwise it doesnt look to end well. 

maybe it still works out... maybe it is just slower?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Interstate said:

maybe it still works out... maybe it is just slower?

We need the ull to dig further south or we miss the coastal. Could still be in the game for upper level energy moving through but that's just table scraps and won't do much. The real game is a stalled low that gets captured at our latitude. The 0z run isn't close to that happening this run. Were starting to see convergence now too and it's not the kind that makes us happy. 

3 minutes ago, psurulz said:

Yea...I guess I'm not understanding why the -nao isn't forcing these storms farther under us?

We need to low going on right now to move towards the 50/50 area and create confluence. Instead it moves due east and creates ridging between the 2 features. This allows the second one to not get forced south of us. It's  a dance. A -nao can't fix everything. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We need to low going on right now to move towards the 50/50 area and create confluence. Instead it moves due east and creates ridging between the 2 features. This allows the second one to not get forced south of us. It's  a dance. A -nao can't fix everything. 

So essentially...this current storm screwed us over after all...great. Snowing everywhere but...north and south, smh

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

God I wish we could repeat this post every 20 minutes. I'm tired of the nao complaints as if a negative nao is supposed to guarantee a good track. I think a 50/50 is more important and it's missing. 10 days ago the guidance had a strong 50/50 representation and that was why we got so excited. The actual pattern lacked. Maybe the blocking is too severe and shunts the storm too far south. Or it retrogrades too much. But we never get a good 50/50. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

God I wish we could repeat this post every 20 minutes. I'm tired of the nao complaints as if a negative nao is supposed to guarantee a good track. I think a 50/50 is more important and it's missing. 10 days ago the guidance had a strong 50/50 representation and that was why we got so excited. The actual pattern lacked. Maybe the blocking is too severe and shunts the storm too far south. Or it retrogrades too much. But we never get a good 50/50. 

I'm not sure this was the case....iirc a nice 50/50 signal was very hit and miss on LR guidance.  9/10 runs showed the negatives south of an optimal 50/50...we all just hoped that smoothing was hedging things south.  Instead, the southern area of the neg anoms in the atl seem to be what is actually occurring.

4 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

All things to consider, we are in that time of the year where we need rates, precip at night, less than marginal temps to get things done in early to mid March. 

Careful commenting on sun angle gets certain posters pretty pissy!

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived