SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-3 -NAO Comeback Coastal Discussion/OBS

The Iceman

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd post this wind info. My peak gust was 65mph@2:38pm. Based on one-minute wind data up to 6:45pm when I lost electric: 11 gusts of 60+mph, 147 with 50+mph. The weather station continued to work on its own battery backup but doesn't keep track of 1-minute peak gusts. I know there were more in the 50+ range. Also, it snowed(mostly snow with rain) from 2pm-10pm but nada on ground. Temp. got down to 34F.

There was a crazy gradient in bucks and Mercer too. My house in levittown saw a slushy inch but a 5 miles north and west and south saw at least 2-3" and increased more the further you went. I drive for Uber part time and ended up driving yesterday afternoon and night after I had lost power and it was an amazing experience. I think this will be remembered as an all timer for the wind damage. Have not seen this amount of trees and power lines down region wide since Sandy. Snow wise my area and Trenton got the shaft, we were on the outside of the heavy bands most of day so we had mod snow but mostly it was white rain. But that's how it goes when you don't get into the heaviest Bands and have warm temps. I'm very happy for all that overperformed though! From everywhere I drove it looked like Newtown/Wrightsville/doyelstown did very well. Looked like 4-6" plus saw drifts 2ft plus. Biggest surprise to me was parts of philly that saw 3-4" that are well south of me and rarely do better than me. Even though my backyard was shafted snow wise this was By far the best storm of the winter and I'm so glad I ventured out and chased the heavier snow instead of staying put dreading over the white rain. :lol: but the winds I thought overperformed as much as the snow. I was expecting a few strong gusts but not 8 hours plus of relentless 50 mph plus gusts. Again I Have not seen the level of tree damage and power outages since sandy. The models showed the potential but it rarely ever comes to fruition. They definitely mixed down to the surface with ease. Does anyone know how the shore fared with surge? If we had any cold air in place this would have been the most paralyzing blizzard of all time but even without it this was a great storm. The globals were certainly schooled by the meso s here. Good to remember for the future. Who knows when I'll get power back but fingers crossed we aren't done with snow yet. Great tracking and experiencing this storm with all of you! 

Dropped my car off for service Thursday night and went to get it this morning. Plenty of road closures, traffic lights are out, huge limbs & trees down, even the dealership was w/o power when I got there. Maybe not quiet Sandy level, but the most severe storm since (at least in my neck of the woods).

Just relocated my kids and pets to shelter.....power/wifi/heat went down yesterday around 1:45PM. Was a very long afternoon/evening/night between unruly kids, angry dogs, wife with the flu, and no internet! Two poles out front of my house were snapped near the tops like toothpicks. Saw the culprit as we departed.....large pine 150 yards up road fell partially on the lines cracking the tops of several poles downline. Needless to say it will be days if not weeks before power gets restored.

During my travels to find temporary shelter there are clearly more power lines down than during Sandy BUT I noticed not as many fully uprooted trees.....just many large limbs that crashed into lines tho there were a fair share of trees also just snapped in half. This is likely due to no foliage now vs foliage during Sandy. This system had concrete weight of heavy snow combined with wind that did the damage.

Final snowfall tally for Warminster 4.9" which boosts my immediate area to just above avg snowfall for the season! We take.

All eyes turn to Tuesday-Wednesday now. Iceman, we require your mojo.....you need to start the thread for that one :-D

Does anyone know how the shore fared with surge?

Not sure about Ocean side.....I am just getting internet service and phone service back so I havent spoken to folks along the coast BUT my parents on the Delaware Bay beach side report extensive damage and major erosion along the strip near Cape May-Lewes Ferry landing. Low tide and water still up to dunes. Big cliffs to get down to beach. Road along bay inundated with windblown sand. Dad said driving along there was like taking the truck on the beach when we fish in the fall.....deep sand in spots. Unreal. He said he has never seen that type of storm damage on the bayside since Ash Wednesday 1962. The NW winds vs the usual NE winds were the reason. A few roofs blown off buildings in downtown Cape May from what he said.

Interesting storm altogether. Probably the most enjoyable part for me besides the moderate to heavy wind blown snow most of the afternoon was watching that snow shield back it's way towards us around lunch time. Being in the southern end of that long band for most of the afternoon was nice. Final total here was 4.0". About 5 miles to the ENE in Media got 6", 5 miles to the west in Chadd's Ford was a little over 2". Ten miles to the NE of here my previous neighborhood Newtown Square received 7" according to the PNS. A lot of variance over a relatively small area seems to have been common. Those snow rollers were pretty cool!

11 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

5+”

what an awesome event!!!

Except for no power since 3pm and a “fix” eta of 5pm....SUNDAY‼️:fulltilt:

Congrats, and good luck with the power! At least it's the weekend? Not sure if that helps but it might. Here the 2 extended power outages we had occurred during the week, which complicated things with work. Lost part of a large pine tree overnight (and a boatload of branches all around), but we got lucky on this one other than a bunch of power losses lasting less than a minute.

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just relocated my kids and pets to shelter.....power/wifi/heat went down yesterday around 1:45PM. Was a very long afternoon/evening/night between unruly kids, angry dogs, wife with the flu, and no internet! Two poles out front of my house were snapped near the tops like toothpicks. Saw the culprit as we departed.....large pine 150 yards up road fell partially on the lines cracking the tops of several poles downline. Needless to say it will be days if not weeks before power gets restored.

During my travels to find temporary shelter there are clearly more power lines down than during Sandy BUT I noticed not as many fully uprooted trees.....just many large limbs that crashed into lines tho there were a fair share of trees also just snapped in half. This is likely due to no foliage now vs foliage during Sandy. This system had concrete weight of heavy snow combined with wind that did the damage.

Final snowfall tally for Warminster 4.9" which boosts my immediate area to just above avg snowfall for the season! We take.

All eyes turn to Tuesday-Wednesday now. Iceman, we require your mojo.....you need to start the thread for that one :-D

Good luck with the power Ralph! I've done a lot of good research on whole house backup generator systems during power outages, lol. Probably will actually pull the trigger on it in the next year or two.

I imagine Redsky is still out. Hope you all get power back on SOON!

When we lost ours during the ice storm in Feb. 2014 for 3 days, I told my wife I was going down with the ship (rather than getting a room somewhere). Having young kids might have changed that. I have a small generator I used to run the fridge, and jury-rigged it up to run the boiler and air handler once the indoor temp got to 42F and you could see your breath. Having a well pump is a huge motivator for a backup system though. Running water is awesome!

Good luck with the power Ralph! I've done a lot of good research on whole house backup generator systems during power outages, lol. Probably will actually pull the trigger on it in the next year or two.
I imagine Redsky is still out. Hope you all get power back on SOON!
When we lost ours during the ice storm in Feb. 2014 for 3 days, I told my wife I was going down with the ship (rather than getting a room somewhere). Having young kids might have changed that. I have a small generator I used to run the fridge, and jury-rigged it up to run the boiler and air handler once the indoor temp got to 42F and you could see your breath. Having a well pump is a huge motivator for a backup system though. Running water is awesome!
Definitely looking into a generator after this. Too many outages since moving up here from Delco 7 years ago!

Drove through Ambler this morning (past Temple Ambler) and the majority of traffic lights and gas stations/small businesses were without power. The traffic light thing was kinda odd...no police/nothing...every man on his own. I'd imagine their police force was overwhelmed to handle all locations... 

It’s still a disaster out here in poconos as well.  Worst I’ve ever seen it.

route 80 has been closed for 2 days...and is still a parking lot.  People still trapped for 2 days... National Gaurd is trying to feed them, give them drinks on the interstates...but the problem is so widespread, most roads are still completely impassible...my pocono and tobyhanna hit the hardest..route 611 is closed now too.

then you have the Lookie Lou’s that have been stuck in the house for 2 days and wanna come out to see what’s going on...only to crash / get stuck themselves , cause more traffic issues.

gas stations out of gas, supermarkets out of food since the 18 wheelers can’t get in.

forecast for 4 to 8 inches...turned into a 20 inch blizzard...blizzard conditions all day long, with no blizzard warning.

Similar storm now looks likely Wednesday.  ( as typing this, hear helicopters galore overhead) 

wacked out here.

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Interesting storm altogether. Probably the most enjoyable part for me besides the moderate to heavy wind blown snow most of the afternoon was watching that snow shield back it's way towards us around lunch time. Being in the southern end of that long band for most of the afternoon was nice. Final total here was 4.0". About 5 miles to the ENE in Media got 6", 5 miles to the west in Chadd's Ford was a little over 2". Ten miles to the NE of here my previous neighborhood Newtown Square received 7" according to the PNS. A lot of variance over a relatively small area seems to have been common. Those snow rollers were pretty cool!

Congrats on the 4". Over on the Middletown side of Glen Mills we only got 2".

Power went out in our section of Glen Mills around 6:30 pm Friday and came back around 10:30 pm. Usually when the power goes out we are stuck for 3 to 4 days so we got very lucky this time. We have a large generator with a transfer switch to power the house (and the heater!) so we were okay but the surrounding neighborhood looks pretty awful. Over on Stony Bank Road across from the Glen Mills Quarry a large tree fell over at the root and smashed through the homeowner's deck, landing on his pickup truck which crushed like a beer can. Some of the business on Route 1 are still out of power as are a bunch on Route 3 where it crosses Route 352.

1 hour ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

It’s still a disaster out here in poconos as well.  Worst I’ve ever seen it.

route 80 has been closed for 2 days...and is still a parking lot.  People still trapped for 2 days... National Gaurd is trying to feed them, give them drinks on the interstates...but the problem is so widespread, most roads are still completely impassible...my pocono and tobyhanna hit the hardest..route 611 is closed now too.

then you have the Lookie Lou’s that have been stuck in the house for 2 days and wanna come out to see what’s going on...only to crash / get stuck themselves , cause more traffic issues.

gas stations out of gas, supermarkets out of food since the 18 wheelers can’t get in.

forecast for 4 to 8 inches...turned into a 20 inch blizzard...blizzard conditions all day long, with no blizzard warning.

Similar storm now looks likely Wednesday.  ( as typing this, hear helicopters galore overhead) 

wacked out here.

Don't know how wet the snow was up there, but it's certainly harder to clear if it was (running out of places to move it to).

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Chief83 said:

I'm out since 5 pm Friday . Getting by with a small generator. Well water, sewer pump, refridge and a few lights.  No heat other than wood stove.  Peco said they could not estimate how long. Time for a real full house generator.

Lol, not one of those smoke and mirrors ones. We don't have nat. gas here, but I was thinking propane (which means a tank) so I wouldn't have to keep a lot of gasoline around or be running up to Wawa and filling up cans. The one we've had is small, 400+ watts I think, and it's great in a pinch but also loud. I thought about mega batteries (with some solar), but those batteries are still pretty pricey, although there they say in 2 or 3 years with tech. evolution they should be better and cost less.

Mount Holly sucked and KWY sucked on this storm.  As temperatures were crashing...KWY was calling for increasing temperatures all morning.  And Mount Holy was saying nothing.  I guess there was little snow outside MY Holly. 

I am glad that my family made it home yesterday. 

North and West of Philadelphia...Close to Philadelphia...central Montgo... we had blizzard conditions for at least an hour and half.  And yet we were in a Winter advisory warning.  

8 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

Props to PPL electric company though...without power it would b whole lot worse.  They hire tree cutters that spend weeks cutting down branches and trees out here and that are even remotely close to any powerlines...before the winter even starts. 

except i have PPL and they tell me 5 days without power they cant do better then that in winter? My entire family has power all over the place never lost it in frankenstorm, sandy or frankenstorm 2.0 i think PPL sucks 

4 hours ago, blue sky said:

Mount Holly sucked and KWY sucked on this storm.  As temperatures were crashing...KWY was calling for increasing temperatures all morning.  And Mount Holy was saying nothing.  I guess there was little snow outside MY Holly. 

I am glad that my family made it home yesterday. 

North and West of Philadelphia...Close to Philadelphia...central Montgo... we had blizzard conditions for at least an hour and half.  And yet we were in a Winter advisory warning.  

Well....

kyw has sucked since they dropped accuweather....haven’t listened to them since!!!

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Drove through Ambler this morning (past Temple Ambler) and the majority of traffic lights and gas stations/small businesses were without power. The traffic light thing was kinda odd...no police/nothing...every man on his own. I'd imagine their police force was overwhelmed to handle all locations... 

Well...you drove right past my house then on your way to Ambler...I made the same observations as some aholes couldn’t figure out that you treat a disabled light intersection as you would a four way stop intersection!

BTW...next time in town check out the new food co-op (weavers way) and Ambler beverage next door and the Ambler theater....Just a really Great small town‼️

3 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

BTW...next time in town check out the new food co-op (weavers way) and Ambler beverage next door and the Ambler theater....Just a really Great small town‼️

I forgot that Weaver's Way opened another location up your way.  Grew up about a mile from their original location in Mt. Airy and live about a mile from their Chestnut Hill store.  Compared to the couple 3-story houses that make up their Mt. Airy store and the small storefront in Chestnut Hill, the Ambler store is definitely their biggest as a real "supermarket" size!

Looking at the PECO outage map in lower Montco, they are talking Tuesday as an estimate for restoration.  Heard on the radio that they didn't want to put their crews up in cherry-picker buckets with the winds yesterday, plus many trees need to be cleared from roads so they can even get into some areas.

4 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Well...you drove right past my house then on your way to Ambler...I made the same observations as some aholes couldn’t figure out that you treat a disabled light intersection as you would a four way stop intersection!

I used to go to the Ambler Cabaret quite a bit in my 20s to see bands but haven't been in the area in a while. I'll check more stuff as you mentioned...it is a cool little town.

Archived