SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-3 -NAO Comeback Coastal Discussion/OBS

The Iceman

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still snowing moderately, 32F. A little over 3.5" so far. This was the comeback coastal in more ways than one. A couple of pics, the snow pile spot now has a low pile (done after this pic), but it's pretty heavy, so probably won't go crazy maximizing it. And we put a tree out with lights on that we decided to leave up until March in case we got snow (looks nice with snow on/around it). Thought it might not survive today still standing but it did, sort of, lol.

Snow-3-02-18-2.jpg

Snow-3-02-18-3.jpg

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm still getting decent rates and the lowest temp of the day at 32.2F. The patches of black on the road as a result of the damn salt guy are whitening now..

Yup, finally down to 32 (32.4) and still SN. The fact that the change-over to snow started this morning and we never ran into a warm nose to change back over to rain, meant we got an unexpected accumulation despite the above freezing ground temps, once the ground got cold enough.  I ended up with 0.85" of rain before the change-over for 1.54" for the rain part of the event.

The thing is still sitting out there spinning although it is slowly drifting eastward.

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Still snowing moderately, 32F. A little over 3.5" so far. This was the comeback coastal in more ways than one. A couple of pics, the snow pile spot now has a low pile (done after this pic), but it's pretty heavy, so probably won't go crazy maximizing it. And we put a tree out with lights on that we decided to leave up until March in case we got snow (looks nice with snow on/around it). Thought it might not survive today still standing but it did, sort of, lol.

Snow-3-02-18-2.jpg

Snow-3-02-18-3.jpg

Your tree looks drunk...but in a nice way.

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Looks like the radar will enter life support soon for many...

Yup.... Those yellows near the PA-Delaware border have been there for a while - we had some speckles move over earlier, and it was snow, a little heavier but much more than the heavy snow we were already getting at the time. Didn't hear any pingers either. Curious...

Radar_3-02-18-7 pm.jpg

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Yup.... Those yellows near the PA-Delaware border have been there for a while - we had some speckles move over earlier, and it was snow, a little heavier but much more than the heavy snow we were already getting at the time. Didn't hear any pingers either. Curious...

Radar_3-02-18-7 pm.jpg

Seems like hours...I think I mention it in a post from about 3-pm. Good stuff..

6 hours ago, The Iceman said:

my guess based on radar and trends would be heaviest between now and 430 then mod-light until 730 ish. still a long way to go...this is not a fast mover like we are used to this season :lol:

This is turning out to be pretty damn accurate...congrats.

16 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

Can anyone report about the road conditions in South Philly? I gotta drive down there. 

The PennDOT traffic cams are all out but some web cams of downtown show that the major streets are pretty much all wet.  It's nothing like up here in the NW Philly hills where I live!

Looks like I am finally down to SN- and flurries but still very windy.  Temp 32F and melting is happening but obviously slowly.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The PennDOT traffic cams are all out but some web cams of downtown show that the major streets are pretty much all wet.  It's nothing like up here in the NW Philly hills where I live!

Looks like I am finally down to SN- and flurries but still very windy.  Temp 32F and melting is happening but obviously slowly.

My temp went up .2 as soon as snow went to flurries...32.4F. Still very windy...

32F currently - pretty well winding down here, maybe another 15 - 30 minutes. Looked outside with the portable snow lamp and saw this - wut, lol? Giant snow pellets? More like self-propelled snowballs - I actually saw one rolling. The larger ones are close to 7" or 8" diameter. Best guess is the deer who came through earlier while we were sitting outside knocked up some clumps of snow which the wind blew along. Don't know that I've seen that before, pretty hilarious.

Self-propelled-snowballs_3-02-18a.jpg

Power still out here in NW Chester County - this is no big deal...of course no clue when it may return...the joy of living in the sticks!!  Snow has ended and now temp is holding steady at 33.3. 

Total snow was 3.3" - Seasonal Snow now at 28.7" or 2.7" below normal - will need a pretty big event over the next month to reach the normal Chester County PA Seasonal Snow (36.0") (1983 to Present). If so...this will mark our 2nd straight season with below normal snow 2016/17 (24.0") 

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

My power return time is unknown, that is not good.

31.6F and living Amish with oil lamps

No it's not. Hope you have a heat source and a generator. The outages seem to be ranked (for service/repair) according to the number of people affected by a particular issue. A small group affected by say a blown transformer will probably wait longer than a larger group affected by a tree knocking out a power line. Here we have always been in a small group (200 houses), and had to go to near the end of the line during large events like the ice storm of 2014. Good luck!

Just now, KamuSnow said:

No it's not. Hope you have a heat source and a generator. The outages seem to be ranked (for service/repair) according to the number of people affected by a particular issue. A small group affected by say a blown transformer will probably wait longer than a larger group affected by a tree knocking out a power line. Here we have always been in a small group (200 houses), and had to go to near the end of the line during large events like the ice storm of 2014. Good luck!

I have nothing must have Amish in my blood. Naturally the backup utility propane unit is broken.

It’s been pretty cool to hear the constant roar of upper level winds today even when the surface level winds slacken off.  Did anyone else notice that?  I’ll submit my official snow total here as: T ⛄️

43 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Wind has calmed down a bit besides a gust here and there. I'm amazed I have electricity after looking at PECO's outage map. (I'm surrounded by outages) Click on each outage and you will see "customers affected". I guess each outage means transformer? Not sure?

https://www.peco.com/Outages/CheckOutageStatus/Pages/OutageMap.aspx

One of my sisters lives in Wyndmoor and she texted last night that all the folks across the street from her were out (her side of the street was okay).   Looked at your link and it looks like they are STILL out on her street!  That side of the street goes out frequently because their power lines run through some dense woods that abut a steep hill and PECO continually has Asplundh out there chopping back branches but it seems to make no difference when the winds howl or you get heavy wet snow like yesterday's event.  I think there are a couple transformers along the street but back when they first built those houses in the '50s, they "carefully" hid the wires (electric/phone) along tree lines for aesthetics.  Of course 60-some years later, the trees and any replacements had matured, and have had broken branches or have been completely uprooting and falling over.

All over Springfield Twp (Wyndmoor, Flourtown, Oreland, Erdenheim) there are still hundreds of outages (especially Flourtown) and surrounding Cheltenham and Abington Twps were hit hard with thousands still out.

As an obs, the temp crept up a couple tenths overnight and is @33F, breezy, and mostly cloudy.  Looks like it stayed at or above freezing overnight and gutters are dripping.  The coldest surfaces where I measured had an average of about 4.5" (compacted).  Other spots had mini-drifts of 6 or 7" and others had just one or two inches due to melting prior to finally accumulating.

Archived