Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1-3 -NAO Comeback Coastal Discussion/OBS

The Iceman

1 minute ago, The Iceman said:

looks like returns up north are lightening up...not light per say but don't see the banding anymore... wonder if this is just a temp thing or if we have seen the heaviest already. we'll still have moderate snow all afternoon but I don't know about roads caving if we don't get the heavy returns to start popping back up.

this was modeled pretty well on the HRRR.  That was the heaviest for the system.  I never thought the roads would cave.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

roads caving after an inch of rain last night and a day after nearly being 60... i believe you that the snow is heavy :lol:

Thing is, the precip went from HEAVY to mod-heavy and pavements/streets melted real quick. (March sun) Still cool w/the grass/trees getting plaster w/the wind....night time event would have been super cool.

a bit OT but I would love to see some of the totals near Glen Falls NY. The one band that way looks insane. Have to be 2-3" rates in that. The regional radar right now looks beautiful. text book noreaster. this would have been historical if we had any cold air to tap into or already in place for the storm. 

Just now, Birds~69 said:

Thing is, the precip went from HEAVY to mod-heavy and pavements/streets melted real quick. (March sun) Still cool w/the grass/trees getting plaster w/the wind....night time event would have been super cool.

same here we are still snowing at a good clip but not heavy enough for accumulation outside of cars and grass. Still looks wicked out with the wind. We should all manage 1-3" on the grass if we keep this moderate snow level all afternoon.

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

same here we are still snowing at a good clip but not heavy enough for accumulation outside of cars and grass. Still looks wicked out with the wind. We should all manage 1-3" on the grass if we keep this moderate snow level all afternoon.

This type of event during mid Jan would have been great. Nothing would have melted/wind/drifting...whiteout conditions. But it's March, I'll take it. Not bad..

Just now, penndotguy said:

Lol was in Reading 20 mins ago bright skies and dry roads, I'm in Boyertown with Moderate snow

I'll give the models an A+ with their placement of how far west the precip shield would expand. Looks like Berks county is the dividing line which most models had. 

Coating on the grass here but snow is letting up a bit.

Currently have almost 1/2" plastered on grass and cars and other cold surfaces although it is still melting underneath.  Walks and streets are still clear.  Temp down to 33F and SN.

10 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

a bit OT but I would love to see some of the totals near Glen Falls NY. The one band that way looks insane. Have to be 2-3" rates in that. The regional radar right now looks beautiful. text book noreaster. this would have been historical if we had any cold air to tap into or already in place for the storm. 

KENX is showing 16" (Broadalbin) & 18" (Mayfield) about 50 miles SW of there -

radar-ny-03012018.png

12 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Snow lightened up for a bit in East Stroudsburg, now it's heavy again. Visibility <1/4 mile. Winds continue to get stronger too. Lots of blowing snow.

Snowing even harder now. Heaviest I've seen all morning. Total whiteout conditions outside. This is blizzard warning criteria.

storm just seems to be having ebbs and flows on this side of the storm. after returns kind of weakening the last hour, it looks like we are getting better returns to the north again the last few frames. I think we'll just fluctuate between heavy and mod all afternoon but the heavy is where we see most of our accumulation. awesome conditions outside regardless though. combo of snow and wind is just perfect. considering I wasn't confident we would even change over in time with the globals never jumping on board, this storm has delivered and we still have all afternoon to go. Most models didn't shut us off until 03z or so.

i can't believe honestly that Mt Holly hasn't pulled the trigger on WWA yet. Conditions across the area in places that don't have one certainly warrant it. I mean redsky has 2 inches already and he doesn't have one. This isn't a slight at them I am just wondering what their reasoning is considering it is looking likely there are going to be areas that dont have a wwa currently that are going to see moderate to heavy snow all afternoon. even if roads don't cave the visibility is still dangerous. just surprised we haven't seen them yet is all.

Archived