Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

If that’s the case that’s historic. Definitly ups the chances of a coastal surprise 

Snowmaps barely show anything

This storm needs to be watched closely. I have a feeling there are going to be tricks.

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I realize we are almost at now cast time but how reliable are globals at this time frame ?

In this type of situation I would trust the Euro more than the other globals but this is a true nowcast if there ever was one.

Just now, Brasiluvsnow said:

I realize we are almost at now cast time but how reliable are globals at this time frame ?

The Euro not being cooler at the surface is a concern since it's hi-res like the NAM. The heavier precip with 850s below zero should be enough to cool things down to the surface, but maybe there's a 925mb warm layer remaining. That'll always muck it up. Too bad the Euro doesn't provide soundings (that I know of).

The strong north surface wind and upper air column cooling should cool the surface down more than the models are showing if it's precipitating heavily. If it's showery and generally light, then the lousy surface temps are understandable. But with the precip the Euro shows after 12z, I would think the surface would be cooler. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Euro not being cooler at the surface is a concern since it's hi-res like the NAM. The heavier precip with 850s below zero should be enough to cool things down to the surface, but maybe there's a 925mb warm layer remaining. That'll always muck it up. Too bad the Euro doesn't provide soundings (that I know of).

The Euro is probably over doing the surface temps during the heavy precip but who knows at this point.   It's a total toss up imo on what's going to happen from NENJ, NYC and western LI.   As you move further northwest of the city you can count on increasingly larger totals (obviously). 

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The Euro is probably over doing the surface temps during the heavy precip but who knows at this point.   It's a total toss up imo on what's going to happen from NENJ, NYC and western LI.   As you move further northwest of the city you can count on increasingly larger totals (obviously). 

It seems like every model is over doing the surface temps except the nam...what are the chances that's the case?

If we were using the modeled surface temps then nobody within 100 miles of NYC should expect snow. Obviously we know that's not the case. The models have consistently overdone BL temps since the start because this is a very complex and difficult setup. If those upper levels close off in the right place to put the area under the CCB, we will snow, heavily.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

If we were using the modeled surface temps then nobody within 100 miles of NYC should expect snow. Obviously we know that's not the case. The models have consistently overdone BL temps since the start because this is a very complex and difficult setup. If those upper levels close off in the right place to put the area under the CCB, we will snow, heavily.

This is why for coastal areas it’s a nowcastjng event.  If everything comes together right ( and it’s threading the needle) the city could see 6 plus inches of snow .  The interior is going to get buried, but like you said focus on the dynamics of this storm and we need for them to keep showing intense precip rates for our area.

3 minutes ago, Taylor Warwick said:

Well, for the shore, I am concerned about the winds. Usually they overestimate it, but still, 20-30 with gusts around 50kts for 12 hours is not good. And, once this storm exits, another one weill be here by midweek. I am through with the snow. If only it was 70s like last week>

I'm glad you brought that up.   For people along the coast the winds and coastal flooding should be the biggest issue.

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Probably but again that's just my opinion.  

Im not a fan of this type of thinking usually, but most of the models struggled big time with the feb storm, none of them were even close to the accumulations in the northern and western parts of the metro. 

Just now, BxEngine said:

Im not a fan of this type of thinking usually, but most of the models struggled big time with the feb storm, none of them were even close to the accumulations in the northern and western parts of the metro. 

And that was also right around the time of an anamously warm airmass.

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Neither am I (I usually hate it) but this is a different situation with lots of dynamics at play.  I just feel like the globals are unable to resolve this type of situation properly and will bust too high on bl temps when heavy precip is falling on a north wind.

1 minute ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Is there any sort of concensus what sort of accumulations will fall in my area?

6"+.   Probably 10"+.  And if you're in an elevation above 800' in your county, there could be a lot more than that.  

Archived