Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Snow88 said:

We need the low to stall out slightly further west and south for the area to get more precip ( snowfall )

Solid 2-4 for NYC

Interior is going to get buried.

You want the mid level centers to track over the Delmarva instead of SNJ.

Just now, Snow88 said:

We need the low to stall out slightly further west and south for the area to get more precip ( snowfall )

Solid 2-4 for NYC

Interior is going to get buried.

Places above 1000' up here will see 24"+ if you believe the NAM. Ugh as much as I wanna believe it I highly doubt that happens. 

1 minute ago, snywx said:

Places above 1000' up here will see 24"+ if you believe the NAM. Ugh as much as I wanna believe it I highly doubt that happens. 

This "theory" that the NAM is always overdone and that you always need to reduce what it shows is way over used.

When you look at the upper air dynamics it's easy to make an argument that QPF is underdone.

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This "theory" that the NAM is always overdone and that you always need to reduce what it shows is way over used.

When you look at the upper air dynamics it's easy to make an argument that QPF is underdone.

I agree. It's just hard to believe considering how much less all other guIdance is printing out. That being said,  Anything is possible just north of a closed ULL 

1 minute ago, snywx said:

I agree. It's just hard to believe considering how much less all other guIdance is printing out. That being said,  Anything is possible just north of a closed ULL 

Yeah but it's not for lack of dynamics or moisture on most of the other guidance, it's that those models are saying the BL will be too warm. I personally believe the NAM is better equipped at handling the low level cold air vs the globals.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Implying 3:1 ratios? Or do you mean some of that falls as liquid? Pure sleet is about 3:1, for reference...

I was implying very poor ratios. I could see someone in the lower elevations getting over 3" liquid, with some of that wasted as rain, but overall a very heavy, wet snow.

Sent to me this morning from Morris County OEM

Good morning,

The Morris County Office of Emergency Management is currently monitoring the powerful coastal storm that will impact northern New Jersey. Morris County is currently under a Hazardous Weather Outlook which includes a Flood Watch in effect from late tonight through late Friday evening. In addition, a High Wind Watch will be in effect from Friday morning through Saturday morning.

The forecast data suggests that we will see rain moving into our area late this afternoon/evening which will become steady overnight and persist through Friday evening. Rainfall amounts of 1.5” – 2.5” are possible, which could lead to flooding issues in some areas. With already saturated grounds across the county, our flooding risk for Friday afternoon has been elevated. In addition, we may also see a change from rain to wet snow in some areas. We also may face some issues on Friday, with strong winds coming from the north at 20-30 mph, and gusts reaching 45-50 mph. Wind will remain strong into Saturday which will have the potential for downed trees and power lines.

We have been in touch with representatives from Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), and they are closely monitoring this coastal storm. They are prepared to activate the Storm Restoration Plan, should power outages occur. To report outages customers may call 1-888-LIGHTSS (888-544-4877), go to www.jcp-l.com, or click the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com.

Jeffrey S. Paul

Director, Office of Emergency Management

Morris County Dept. of Law & Public Safety

PO Box 900

Morristown, NJ  07963-0900

Morris County EMS Coordinator

Morris County Special Operations Group (SOG) Commander

Tactical Operations Captain (Ret.)

Morris County Prosecutor’s Office

FBI National Academy Class 224

4 minutes ago, friedmators said:

So is the NAM verbatim sandy-esque power outages?  I can't imagine 6" of 5-1 ratio snow and 60 mph winds leads to anything good.

No not that extreme. Perhaps this is similar to the Halloween nor’easter in 2011?  but there was also leaves on the trees when that happened .

Archived