Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Yeah i take my apology back for snowman he's still wrong I got some minor accumulations here in the Bronx in the morning and now it's sticking to cars and colder surfaces. Plenty of precip to go

Can I still get credit? I said a coating to 2”. 

Anyone have any reports from the Catskills?????? I know hunter had to close do to now power 

I got a foot and I’m disappointed!!!

6 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Warm pockets aside, elevation is pretty important, at least from what I see.  Accumulations steadily increased closer to home, and areas in Western Morris county are doing much better than I am.

Very odd storm . Yes elevation was important but other factors played a role . I may have 1.5/2 .  Earlier the heights section of butler which is 620 had barley a dusting while Burger King area had 1-2 inches . Also I was in valley road in Wayne and easily 2-3 inches . They are very certainly lower than us 

2 hours ago, nzucker said:

The CCB is starting to consolidate as heavy banding rotates SW from Connecticut. Let's see if everyone can pick up a couple inches...the atmosphere is cooling down and the sun is setting.

Snowman19 busted terribly. We've had frozen precip all day since 8am. All areas are snow covered.

With better timing had most of this occurred at night, we could have seen warning criteria snow.  I'm not usually a fan of night time snowstorms but in a borderline situation like this it was really needed.

3 hours ago, Metasequoia said:

I suspect it's all about where the banding set up. Seems like NYC was more in subsidence zone.

Yeah that zone extended just east of there to here, which is why parts of Long Island east of here also got more snow than we did.

30 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Very odd storm . Yes elevation was important but other factors played a role . I may have 1.5/2 .  Earlier the heights section of butler which is 620 had barley a dusting while Burger King area had 1-2 inches . Also I was in valley road in Wayne and easily 2-3 inches . They are very certainly lower than us 

I'll have to measure.  That's interesting regarding the heights.  I'm nearly the same elevation and have way more than a dusting.

18 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I'll have to measure.  That's interesting regarding the heights.  I'm nearly the same elevation and have way more than a dusting.

You see this a lot with late season storms- for some reason the Jersey shore does better than the area immediately to the north.  I've seen that happen on a consistent basis.  Some of this could be due to the urbanization of NYC and western LI and NE NJ, but heavier bands also set up there, so there might be some sort of land-sea interaction going on when the bands parallel the coastline (the geometry of the coastline being north-south might have something to do with the heavier totals there late in the season.)

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

I’m sure they have at least 2 by now 

Well I measured between 4 and 5 inches out there.  Very hard though as you can imagine to get an accurate assessment with the winds.  You going to submit a report to the NWS?

...Morris County...
   Randolph Twp          11.3   730 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Schooleys Mountain     9.0   315 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Green Pond             8.7   215 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Jefferson Twp          7.0   550 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Roxbury Twp            4.0   110 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Succasunna             3.3   105 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Rockaway               2.5   330 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Ledgewood              2.0   442 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

You see this a lot with late season storms- for some reason the Jersey shore does better than the area immediately to the north.  I've seen that happen on a consistent basis.  Some of this could be due to the urbanization of NYC and western LI and NE NJ, but heavier bands also set up there, so there might be some sort of land-sea interaction going on when the bands parallel the coastline (the geometry of the coastline being north-south might have something to do with the heavier totals there late in the season.)

This was definitely a strange setup.  In some cases, elevation really mattered, but for others (like snywx) it didn't seem to make a difference.  Generally, here in Morris County the further West you went, the higher totals were. 

Just now, JerseyWx said:

This was definitely a strange setup.  In some cases, elevation really mattered, but for others (like snywx) it didn't seem to make a difference.  Generally, here in Morris County the further west you went, the higher totals were. 

Better access to cold air out there and better lifting. It seems like we had a warm boundary layer rotate in from New England while NJ had cooler air rotating in. And banding under the CCB overall seemed better there. 

My final total: 0.0 snow. Was hopeful for at least something. Again LMAO at the high res model disasters. 

23 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Well I measured between 4 and 5 inches out there.  Very hard though as you can imagine to get an accurate assessment with the winds.  You going to submit a report to the NWS?

...Morris County...
   Randolph Twp          11.3   730 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Schooleys Mountain     9.0   315 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Green Pond             8.7   215 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Jefferson Twp          7.0   550 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Roxbury Twp            4.0   110 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Succasunna             3.3   105 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Rockaway               2.5   330 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Ledgewood              2.0   442 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

2.5 on my side of town. No didn’t get around to calling it in 

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Better access to cold air out there and better lifting. It seems like we had a warm boundary layer rotate in from New England while NJ had cooler air rotating in. And banding under the CCB overall seemed better there. 

My final total: 0.0 snow. Was hopeful for at least something. Again LMAO at the high res model disasters. 

Yeah that's a good point.  I'm definitely satisfied with the outcome here.  The wind was probably the most impressive aspect of the whole storm, although switching precip. types every few minutes was interesting.

57 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah that's a good point.  I'm definitely satisfied with the outcome here.  The wind was probably the most impressive aspect of the whole storm, although switching precip. types every few minutes was interesting.

I was optimistic this morning when we were pounding with snow before expected, but the lousy low level air intruded and after 1pm or so most of what fell here was rain. Probably didn’t help either that we had so much fall during the day. A couple of degrees would’ve helped big time. 

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I was optimistic this morning when we were pounding with snow before expected, but the lousy low level air intruded and after 1pm or so most of what fell here was rain. Probably didn’t help either that we had so much fall during the day. A couple of degrees would’ve helped big time. 

Yeah that's a bummer.  I thought I would have a similar situation here, but once the daylight diminished and it cooled down enough, it started to stick quickly.  Only thing was, it didn't last long, which is why I capped off at roughly 4", whereas Animal and Western Morris saw more than double that.  They were off to the races early out there.

4 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah that's a bummer.  I thought I would have a similar situation here, but once the daylight diminished and it cooled down enough, it started to stick quickly.  Only thing was, it didn't last long, which is why I capped off at roughly 4", whereas Animal and Western Morris saw more than double that.  They were off to the races early out there.

Congrats Philly. Never thought I’d say that in this type system. I was resigned to it being a Boston to Buffalo burier 48 hours ago. Part of that was right!! :axe: 

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Congrats Philly. Never thought I’d say that in this type system. I was resigned to it being a Boston to Buffalo burier 48 hours ago. Part of that was right!! :axe: 

Honestly earlier this week I thought this would be a rainstorm for the whole metro lol :poster_oops:

Updated totals for inland NJ.  The Denville measurement aligns well with mine, otherwise North and West really cashed in.

...Morris County...
   Randolph Twp          11.3   730 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Jefferson Twp         10.6  1045 PM  3/02  CoCoRaHS
   Green Pond            10.0  1030 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Lake Hopatcong        10.0   640 PM  3/02  Amateur Radio
   Schooleys Mountain     9.0   315 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Marcella               8.0  1030 PM  3/02  Elevation 820 feet.
   Denville               4.3  1030 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Rockaway               2.5   900 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Ledgewood              2.0   442 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

...Sussex County...
   Branchville           16.5  1030 PM  3/02  Elevation 1200 FT
   Highland Lakes        14.0   800 PM  3/02  Elevation 1400 FT
   High Point            13.5   235 PM  3/02  Elevation 1500 FT
   Vernon Twp            11.0   530 PM  3/02  Barry Lakes
   3 N Wantage            8.0   410 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Stockholm              7.0   237 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Vernon Valley          5.5   530 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

...Warren County...
   Oxford                 6.0   415 PM  3/02  Social Media
   Allamuchy              6.0   748 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Hackettstown           5.0   540 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
   Stewartsville          2.6   345 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

On 3/2/2018 at 9:26 PM, jm1220 said:

Do you think that this is why we have this happen so often with late season set ups that the Jersey Shore gets more snow than NYC and Western Long Island (that and urbanization up here.)

On 3/3/2018 at 1:22 AM, jm1220 said:

Boston was way too far east.  You want to be as inland as possible with these kinds of storms.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, jm1220 said:

Wasn't this supposed to be a night time storm and a storm that lasted into Saturday morning ?

Storms this is being compared to are March 1962 and December 1992.  I wasn't around for March 1962 but from what I read that was better further south in Central and Southern Coastal NJ while December 1992 was far more damaging for NYC and Long Island and North Coastal NJ.

Archived