Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I'm going to be very interested to see what the 00z models show as these will have the hurricane hunter date ingested in....

where exactly are they going to fly into the storm - where will it be located ? what time ?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to throw the towel in for sea level areas. This looks to be elevation driven. I think the I-95 through much of NJ will see white rain when rates increase and regular rain otherwise. Once up into Morris County, I could see lights accumulations.

1 minute ago, friedmators said:

I don’t think the RAP understands evaporating cooling either. Below 0 925 and up with ridiculously heavy precip and it still shows rain. Latest run seemed much improved.

Evaporative cooling doesn't guaruntee that your wetbulb temperature is below freezing. If there's a huge dewpoint depression after hours of heavy precip, then yeah, it starts to get suspect, but I was never a fan of those rules of thumb along the lines of "if it's below freezing at 925/850 and raining heavily, you'll flip to snow". There are real-world BL processes that can keep you warm.

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I'm about to throw the towel in for sea level areas. This looks to be elevation driven. I think the I-95 through much of NJ will see white rain when rates increase and regular rain otherwise. Once up into Morris County, I could see lights accumulations.

Will be a nasty day for a lot of us, and a forgettable one. 

Evaporative cooling doesn't guaruntee that your wetbulb temperature is below freezing. If there's a huge dewpoint depression after hours of heavy precip, then yeah, it starts to get suspect, but I was never a fan of those rules of thumb along the lines of "if it's below freezing at 925/850 and raining heavily, you'll flip to snow". There are real-world BL processes that can keep you warm.

I buy that. I’m assuming a fetch off the ocean at the surface would do that. I see NE winds though. I guess I’m grasping at straws.

Edit maybe nw

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's very rare along the coast to get more than a slushy C-2 on the colder surfaces following an extended interval of heavy rain.  

It can happen though.

I still think the city gets a few inches especially on colder surfaces.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

A slushy coating to an inch or two on the colder surfaces is usually the max. We haven't had a heavy rain to heavy snow warning level event here since Christmas 2002. 

didn't long island get 2 feet after an inch of rain in 2013

The sudden drop off in interest here lets me know all I need to know about this system. Good luck in the mountains. Down the shore, batten the hatches. Most of us will be able to go about our business tomorrow. A little worried about trees and power outages, but mainly I expect to lose Direct TV, which doesn't work for me in heavy rain. Not that there is anything worth watching on it anyway. I still expect lots of accidents, people don't respect rainy conditions.

31 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

That' wrong we had 16 inches of snow following a rainstorm that changed to heavy wet snow about a decade ago.

That was on Christmas Day which by it’s bery nature had more access to cold drain. Had the polar vortex split sent some cold air to this hemisphere we would be talking feet of snow for the whole metro. It pretty rare to have a storm evaluation like we have with screaming north winds and mainly rain.

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That was on Christmas Day which by it’s bery nature had more access to cold drain. Had the polar vortex split sent some cold air to this hemisphere we would be talking feet of snow for the whole metro. It pretty rare to have a storm evaluation like we have with screaming north winds and mainly rain.

No it was another storm and I'm telling you tomorrow this forum will have a different attitude cause there will be a lot of good surprises. I think NYC gets at least 6 inches

Time and time again people scream victory before the storm even hits and when it overperform they go into hiding. I'm gonna go look for the date of that storm

18 minutes ago, Northshorekid said:

Absolutely. Craziest storm I have ever been in the middle of. Hundreds of cars stranded on major roads through the area. Where I live in Medford, NY (Northwest Suffolk), we recorded 33 inches.

I remember that storm. Attempting to marshal EMS resources while feeling that Middle Country Rd (next Middle Island Walmart) looked like a scene out of the "Day After Tomorrow."

4 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

No it was another storm and I'm telling you tomorrow this forum will have a different attitude cause there will be a lot of good surprises. I think NYC gets at least 6 inches

Time and time again people scream victory before the storm even hits and when it overpercormer they go into hiding. I'm gonna go look for the date of that storm

We are going to hold you to that prediction - please back up your prediction with some scientific evidence...……...

6 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I remember that storm. Attempting to marshal EMS resources while feeling that Middle Country Rd (next Middle Island Walmart) looked like a scene out of the "Day After Tomorrow."

My wife and I left work in Melville that day, as I told her that we were leaving ASAP. It was a rain/snow mix until we got to right around Ronkonkoma. Once we got to Medford, to this day, the snow coming out of the sky were like snowballs, I have never seen it snow like that. By the time we got to North Ocean Ave, we barely got off that road before hundred or so cars got stranded until the next day. Insane.

11 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The sudden drop off in interest here lets me know all I need to know about this system. Good luck in the mountains. Down the shore, batten the hatches. Most of us will be able to go about our business tomorrow. A little worried about trees and power outages, but mainly I expect to lose Direct TV, which doesn't work for me in heavy rain. Not that there is anything worth watching on it anyway. I still expect lots of accidents, people don't respect rainy conditions.

I've noticed DirecTV usualy only goes out in EXTREMELY heavy rain. Usually it has to be the tropical type downpours that you get in summer t-storms. It almost never goes out in heavy rain during the winter because heavy rain in winter is lower end heavy rain. I doubt the DirecTV will go out during this storm but we'll see.

Archived