Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

4 minutes ago, friedmators said:

So is the NAM verbatim sandy-esque power outages?  I can't imagine 6" of 5-1 ratio snow and 60 mph winds leads to anything good.

No, you're not going to have transformers blowing up every 30 seconds. Those winds gusted in excess of 90mph in places. Right now to me it looks similar to March 2010 in terms of wind potential. That storm saw numerous gusts over 50mph around here.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I'm in Poughkeepsie area and this is a tough call with thermal profiles. 12K nam dumps on me and NWS Albany going with 1-3 of slop. I have no idea how this is going to play out. 

It's a very close call. The GFS appears to be a warm outlier and it is being given weight right now. My guess is that 3"-6" with potential for even higher amounts is probably more likely than 1"-3" right now. Certainly, the 12z NAM didn't change that thinking.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

No, you're not going to have transformers blowing up every 30 seconds. Those winds gusted in excess of 90mph in places. Right now to me it looks similar to March 2010 in terms of wind potential. That storm saw numerous gusts over 50mph around here.

That sure was an exciting night.  Generator + directv + dsl internet for the win that day.

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's a very close call. The GFS appears to be a warm outlier and it is being given weight right now. My guess is that 3"-6" with potential for even higher amounts is probably more likely than 1"-3" right now. Certainly, the 12z NAM didn't change that thinking.

Rgem is just as warm as the GFS. 12z run keeps even NWNJ all rain.

9 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Rgem is just as warm as the GFS. 12z run keeps even NWNJ all rain.

Just so there's no confusion, my 3"-6" figure was for Poughkeepsie, not New York City. While I expect the rain to end as a period of snow in and around the City, my guess is that any accumulations would be minor.

Maybe so but it does little good and time is running out. I do believe the RGEM is still too warm though.

rgem_asnow_neus_54.png

This is much more in line with the pro forecasts im seeing online and on tv. Much more likely this is the outcome then the NAM totals, imo. 

Maybe so but it does little good and time is running out. I do believe the RGEM is still too warm though.

rgem_asnow_neus_54.png

The RGEM shows what I just posted in the SNE forum that someone due west behind the 850-700/500 lows will get pounded while someone up NNE of them in the inflow ends up too far South and is dry slotted.  There is potential here to see more snow in Paramus or New City than some location in eastern MASS.  We saw this a bit on 12/25/02 when NYC was slammed while some areas in interior Connecticut saw nothing 

10 minutes ago, mike1984 said:

This is much more in line with the pro forecasts im seeing online and on tv. Much more likely this is the outcome then the NAM totals, imo. 

No serious poster on here cares what forecasters are saying on tv or the internet. They have to play it conservative because they are giving a forecast for public consumption even though privately they are looking at the same models we are.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

No serious poster on here cares what forecasters are saying on tv or the internet. They have to play it conservative because they are giving a forecast for public consumption even though privately they are looking at the same models we are.

actually Channel 7 had 1-3 for the City and points south/east with 3-6" just outside the city to north and west... then 6-12 up in OC and so on.... which is not a bad forecast to go with at this point.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Not doubting you, but why do they play conservative? 

News loves extremes...so would think they’d be aggressive more than they are conservative. 

So if forecasters truly believe 3-6 is likely..they’re going to forecast a trace to an inch which is what many are?

Thats very careless by them, imo.

Just now, allgame830 said:

actually Channel 7 had 1-3 for the City and points south/east with 3-6" just outside the city to north and west... then 6-12 up in OC and so on.... which is not a bad forecast to go with at this point.

That's still conservative depending on your run of choice. 

The far majority of tv/radio/online mets are going with far less. 

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

Must have updated. Last I saw 3-6 was in extreme NNJ. Most of NYC and NNJ were in trace-3

3 minutes ago, mike1984 said:

Not doubting you, but why do they play conservative? 

News loves extremes...so would think they’d be aggressive more than they are conservative. 

So if forecasters truly believe 3-6 is likely..they’re going to forecast a trace to an inch which is what many are?

Thats very careless by them, imo.

Because it's a very difficult forecast and they have been burned many times before. If a met comes on here and calls for 12" of snow and 2" falls it's not a big deal. If a met goes on TV and calls for 12" of snow and 2" falls then the public will hold a lynching and his reputation will be ruined. 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Because it's a very difficult forecast and they have been burned many times before. If a met comes on here and calls for 12" of snow and 2" falls it's not a big deal. If a met goes on TV and calls for 12" of snow and 2" falls then the public will hold a lynching and his reputation will be ruined. 

Agree. But wouldn’t the same apply if he calls for a an inch and 8 inches fall? That’s not great for his reputation either. 

Id think they call for what they think. That would be best for their reputation. 

Archived