SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We saw 2-3 inches of snow on western Long Island behind the December 1992 storm in a marginal setup like this and the CCB was probably 1/10th of what it will be in this event and this probably has more cold air too.  I definitely could see big snows in the metro area but the core of the CCB will have to pass overhead.

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The whole evolution. Heavy overrunning rains, then dry slot, then wraparound epic CCB? I think not. How often have we actually seen this happen? I mean do you actually believe that evolution? 

Before the models showed you a big storm I and others posted that it was coming 

Many and I mean many of us away had this welll before the models had it 

Then before the models started to focus on the CCB we told you watch for this to flip on the backside, it wasn't all wishful thinking.

You don't understand the pattern , you don't understand what driving a deep ULL over the BM will do in the midlevels and your waiting for the models to tell you what should happen when the pattern should already tell you that you are looking at a different animal 

The pattern has dictated this , a - 5 SD NAO was never going to allow LP to drive into S Canada , which some bought 5 days ago because the model told you so.

We said it would spin away and it has , so having a closed low belly underneath was always going to produce heavy rain and once out over the warm water , this was always going to deepen with high winds causing beach erosion.

And finally we said this is really going to paste N and W into SNE and it will probably accumulate all the way to the coast 

There is a reason we are a step ahead of some of the guidance , these events are similar to storms in the past and their reaction is to the overall  atmosphere and not personal opinion 

Again you are missing what systems like these do 

My last wild card is LI , that air may mix down with enough precip while it's still windy to cause a real show there as this retrogrades and pulls away 

Just read the upton AFD and the big take away is they are not really on board (yet) with snow or major coastal flooding. They admit they are being conservative in regards to snow for inland areas. I think this really illustrates how this board is too model dependent. When models showed some less snowy outcomes for the last event many here jumped on uptons snow numbers. They were slightly high for the city but where overall very good. Have they had Big misses? Of course (no need to name them). But I like the fact that they are letting this play out a little more before taking out their “jump to conclusions mat” (office space reference) 

26 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Before the models showed you a big storm I and others posted that it was coming 

Many and I mean many of us away had this welll before the models had it 

Then before the models started to focus on the CCB we told you watch for this to flip on the backside, it wasn't all wishful thinking.

You don't understand the pattern , you don't understand what driving a deep ULL over the BM will do in the midlevels and your waiting for the models to tell you what should happen when the pattern should already tell you that you are looking at a different animal 

The pattern has dictated this , a - 5 SD NAO was never going to allow LP to drive into S Canada , which some bought 5 days ago because the model told you so.

We said it would spin away and it has , so having a closed low belly underneath was always going to produce heavy rain and once out over the warm water , this was always going to deepen with high winds causing beach erosion.

And finally we said this is really going to paste N and W into SNE and it will probably accumulate all the way to the coast 

There is a reason we are a step ahead of some of the guidance , these events are similar to storms in the past and their reaction is to the overall  atmosphere and not personal opinion 

Again you are missing what systems like these do 

My last wild card is LI , that air may mix down with enough precip while it's still windy to cause a real show there as this retrogrades and pulls away 

Whose coast PB? Because a paste job far NW and coastal CT or MA doesn't mean much to me....so far this is still a powerful rainstorm for us, no? Did I miss something? Serious question.

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Whose coast PB? Because a paste job far NW and coastal CT or MA doesn't mean much to me....so far this is still a powerful rainstorm for us, no? Did I miss something? Serious question.

Its a good thing this isnt the weatherpruf subforum then. ;)

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It’s a very fluid situation. Many models have trended colder and certain models are now showing accumulation to YOUR COAST. We still have nearly three days til the storm begins. Those who have been talking in absolutes may yet get burned again. We shal seeshall see

28 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

It’s a very fluid situation. Many models have trended colder and certain models are now showing accumulation to YOUR COAST. We still have nearly three days til the storm begins. Those who have been talking in absolutes may yet get burned again. We shal seeshall see

Actually I'm not on the coast per se....I'm on the Arthur Kill just above Raritan Bay....the question of how much the coastal forecast affects us is interesting. In general, it depends.....

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Actually I'm not on the coast per se....I'm on the Arthur Kill just above Raritan Bay....the question of how much the coastal forecast affects us is interesting. In general, it depends.....

I would say you have a better chance of being swept out to sea than seeing accumulating snow out of this storm, but then again, that could be false, so wouldn't want to post wrong information.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

There will be some beach erosion and heavy winds for your area and most of this sub forum the question is if we get into the Ccb heavy dynamics could flip you to heavy snow as shown by the euro and nam to some extent. Mesos should begin figuring this out soon

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just read the upton AFD and the big take away is they are not really on board (yet) with snow or major coastal flooding. They admit they are being conservative in regards to snow for inland areas. I think this really illustrates how this board is too model dependent. When models showed some less snowy outcomes for the last event many here jumped on uptons snow numbers. They were slightly high for the city but where overall very good. Have they had Big misses? Of course (no need to name them). But I like the fact that they are letting this play out a little more before taking out their “jump to conclusions mat” (office space reference) 

Going conservative is smart when there’s so much disagreement. 

50 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

So 40mph for NYC and 60 mph for the Cape....

120km per hour is equal to about 75 mph. 75km per hour is equal to about 47 mph. For here, that's nothing too crazy. The 1/4 blizzard had stronger winds for sure here. 

And it's the extended RGEM so it's likely wrong, but it's doing what I warned about-bombing the low too late for much snow in this subforum outside elevated areas, and the upper air system appears north enough to dryslot from I-80 south. It comes together in time for an easterly moisture jet to bury eastern SNE. For something like the NAM to happen, this has to bomb sooner, closer to the NJ coast instead of off Cape Cod. By then it's too late for more than a consolation 1-3" near the coast. 

Archived