Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would never say a snow signal beyond 5 days out is strong in April.

Yeah...hard to get that this late. But the general pattern could def support an April snow event...so much cold that is lurking and gets pushed over us now and again.

So if the shortwaves cooperate, we could see something...but there isn't a huge margin of error in April. That's why the signals are never strong for snow this late...we could just end up with a cutter or an inland runner/redeveloper that gives an inch of 38F rain and maybe Sugarloaf gets all the snow....whereas that same storm redeveloping a month to 6 weeks earlier would be a big front ender to sleet/ZR...or something like that.

41 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Yes

Signal is strong with the mjo and tellies. Seems like alot of people are on board.

Anthony I respect your knowledge and passion for the weather for sure...and I agree that there is a signal and teleconnections may be supportive, but just like in late October things have to be absolutely perfect for a good snow event to take place.  And in your neck of the woods even more so.  Certainly something to keep a slight eye on...to see if any of the modeling goes toward the idea, but the chances at the moment are there...but they're low imo as would obviously be the case in April.   I hope I can say you guys were right....I'd love one more shot at something especially since there's no real nice weather in sight.

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Have you looked at individual gefs members for last few runs. 

Nice potential where you are.

With the article earthlight Posted there is plenty of potential on east coast. Pattern is not forecast to be tepid.

Question is what does Plenty mean in April and does one Of the pieces to this good look fall apart and not come back.

This is still 6-10 Days out and may see two Storms imo.

Folks lets .

Revisit this.

John is a great met, and had an outstanding outlook. I agree that it may snow, but I think he would agree that there is no overwhelmng signal for a big event...hence tepid.

The signals in advance of the blizzards were immense...however this time there is a signal, but its nothing over the top.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...hard to get that this late. But the general pattern could def support an April snow event...so much cold that is lurking and gets pushed over us now and again.

So if the shortwaves cooperate, we could see something...but there isn't a huge margin of error in April. That's why the signals are never strong for snow this late...we could just end up with a cutter or an inland runner/redeveloper that gives an inch of 38F rain and maybe Sugarloaf gets all the snow....whereas that same storm redeveloping a month to 6 weeks earlier would be a big front ender to sleet/ZR...or something like that.

Yea, I'm not sure if you can have a no brainer signal this late...which makes it more difficult to predict.

The wave lengths also complicate matters...which John also mentioned.

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Revisit this.

John is a great met, and had an outstanding outlook. I agree that it may snow, but I think he would agree that there is no overwhelmng signal for a big event...hence tepid.

The signals in advance of the blizzards were immense...however this time there is a signal, but its nothing over the top.

Actually texted John, and he agrees with this sentiment.

Need to be careful not to misrepresent what people are saying.

He is not calling for a big event.

27 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

60/41 here.  You familiar with Abandoned Building Brewery?  Noticed some brews at the local CBC so I picked up one to try. Think its Hydra.

Yeah, I know those guys.  Hydra and Dirty Girl are both decent IPA.   They started as a Belgian only brewery until they realized they couldn't make it on just that. Lol

12z GFS was similar to that Euro idea from 2 days ago ... centered on 192 hours ... 

The problem with that evolution (for storm enthusiasts..) is that there is too much gradient in the geopotential medium associated with the southern wave as it skirts by to the south of the SPV fragment that threatens to come down and subsume. 

This was also the problem with other phased potentials over the last six or so weeks of events ... to much gradient results in velocity saturation and the southern stream spits back out before the SPV/N/stream can mechanically capture.  

If you go back at look at some looming good examples of that sort of interaction ... such as 1978, the southern stream feature was embedded in a bit more nebular flow that didn't have quite so much high speed mid level wind velocities.  I really believe fully that these gradient surplus patterns of the last several seasons/years have been a problem for purer stream fusion scenarios.  Comparing an idealize morphology such as 1978 against a scenario like this 12z operational GFS ... the idea of the southern stream whipping around too fast and ejecting out of the stream interaction region becomes more obvious.  interesting.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First real solid melt day here in town.  Think it's hit that ripe stage where it accelerates.  Last week was the 1" per day decrease... bet we've lost 4" past 24 hours from 12" to 8". Off the max of 25" in mid-March after the big storm.

Wetbulb also went above 40F for the first time there today looking at MVL data...a couple days ago you had like 46/10 type stuff and even yesterday the RH rose but it was still like 42/33 type stuff....today you're rocking 50/36 or so....that's a big difference when it comes to snow melt. Surpassing that critical 37-38F wetbulb that Walt Drag used to love to talk about for snow pack melt.

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wetbulb also went above 40F for the first time there today looking at MVL data...a couple days ago you had like 46/10 type stuff and even yesterday the RH rose but it was still like 42/33 type stuff....today you're rocking 50/36 or so....that's a big difference when it comes to snow melt. Surpassing that critical 37-38F wetbulb that Walt Drag used to love to talk about for snow pack melt.

Yeah great point, you can feel it... not that uber-dry sunny 40-50F stuff with a breeze where evap cooling keeps the pack cold all things considered.

Also finally hit that stage where its just mush to the ground.  Isothermal wet granular, where there's like a puddle in your foot-print.  The water is releasing.  Last stage of the snowpack...probably get decimated down to a few inches of gray scale if we get 0.5-1.0" of rain tonight into tomorrow morning here in town.

7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Have you looked at individual gefs members for last few runs. 

Nice potential where you are.

With the article earthlight Posted there is plenty of potential on east coast. Pattern is not forecast to be tepid.

Question is what does Plenty mean in April and does one Of the pieces to this good look fall apart and not come back.

This is still 6-10 Days out and may see two Storms imo.

Folks lets .

At this point of the year, I'm only interested in 12+ (I hope Zeus isn't reading this thread).

Otherwise bring me thawed drying ground and let me start planting!

51 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Same crap today....most of that upper energy in the long range passes to our north...especially on the EURO.

No way to run a snow storm in April....or January, for that matter.

Misdiagnosis 

Very good probs this far out. We don’t see these high like this in middle of winter many times.

nd9miMq.jpg

Archived