Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weathafella said:

It’s certainly not the strongest of the winter but it is there.

I haven't completely checked out yet (again), and feel if anything this is more one last Hurrah for those north of the pike than for my area.  With that being said I still have a worn out bus ticket in my back pocket in case I need to jump on board one last time.   

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I haven't completely checked out yet (again), and feel if anything this is more one last Hurrah for those north of the pike than for my area.  With that being said I still have a worn out bus ticket in my back pocket in case I need to jump on board one last time.   

Mainly north of me, even.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

EPS signal continues to get stronger overnight for a big one late net week. Even down past NYC. Probably the strongest signal of the winter season for a big storm

Ok, yesterday you were on the powder train lol.  Today you're really going bonkers with this....Pump the brakes James....probably not going to happen anywhere close to the way you're imagination is envisioning!  

I remember 82 very well...the chances of this being that are Slim to none..not saying it can't happen, but before we go hog wild let's be reasonable ok.  Those are very rare.

13 hours ago, Angus said:

You have an encyclopedic of Maine geography - at least the western side. Just had to look this up. I've never entered Baxter via the northern gate but have plans to this summer. I'll have to stop at that turnout plus given myself an extra hour to poke around the Lumbermen's Museum.

Many trips down Route 11 when we lived in Fort Kent.  Plus my job with management of Maine's Public Lands means visits to tracts in all 16 counties.  It's been a great opportunity, especially since I'm a non-native.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Many trips down Route 11 when we lived in Fort Kent.  Plus my job with management of Maine's Public Lands means visits to tracts in all 16 counties.  It's been a great opportunity, especially since I'm a non-native.

Does anything about the upcoming pattern remind you of April 2, 1974 in Fort Kent?

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

EPS signal continues to get stronger overnight for a big one late net week. Even down past NYC. Probably the strongest signal of the winter season for a big storm

Looks like the Brood X Tolland cicada is making its first appearance since 2008. All cold all the time. It's eating all of the Napril DIT larvae.

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... it doesn’t look impressive at all. Can’t totally write something off in the next 10 days or so, but I think it’s unlikely at this time.

I think its over for many here except for the climo favored areas, They still have a shot, But its moving up in elevation and far north for those areas as well.

52 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ok, yesterday you were on the powder train lol.  Today you're really going bonkers with this....Pump the brakes James....probably not going to happen anywhere close to the way you're imagination is envisioning!  

I remember 82 very well...the chances of this being that are Slim to none..not saying it can't happen, but before we go hog wild let's be reasonable ok.  Those are very rare.

1982 was the most anomalous winter storm of my experience, and even if I were 60 years younger, I wouldn't expect to see another such January-in-April event in my lifetime.  I've got NYC records back thru 1869 and they show no other April storm remotely like it - the 2 that brought slightly more snow were both near-32 paste bombs.  Here in the foothills, where late season snow should be more common, 17 of our 19 Aprils here have failed to produce a snowfall greater than 4".  Color me skeptical.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

1982 was the most anomalous winter storm of my experience, and even if I were 60 years younger, I wouldn't expect to see another such January-in-April event in my lifetime.  I've got NYC records back thru 1869 and they show no other April storm remotely like it - the 2 that brought slightly more snow were both near-32 paste bombs.  Here in the foothills, where late season snow should be more common, 17 of our 19 Aprils here have failed to produce a snowfall greater than 4".  Color me skeptical.

If I remember correctly, weren't temperatures the next day brutally cold for April.  Thinking lows were in the teens!  I'll pass on a repeat this year since I'm flying to England next Thursday evening!

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Does anything about the upcoming pattern remind you of April 2, 1974 in Fort Kent?

Lived in BGR then.  Also, 4/2/74 was a modest 3-4" event for N.Maine.  Maybe you mean April 3-4 a year later, when they had a full-on major blizzard, 16" in Ft. Kent, 20" in Farmington, 12" of IP/SN in BGR - biggest accumulation in our 3 years there.  Temps were +/-30 for that one 10-15° milder than 1982.  I went out during the late evening and was surprised there was so little on the ground, until I dug down - though my shoes only sank in about 2" there was 8-9" of 5:1 mix, and the most painful sleet I've ever felt as it was propelled by gusts 50+.  The Napoli-pizza addict students from Maine Maritime Academy (Castine had gusts to 80) had to move trees out of the way in order to get their Friday evening fix.  A (future) co-worker, watching the snow fall Friday night at the Seven Islands house across border from St.-Pamphile, PQ, vowed that he would not remain snowbound the next day.  When dawn came, his 3/4 ton pickup had only a small patch of red showing above the drifts - no driving home to St. Francis that day.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Lived in BGR then.  Also, 4/2/74 was a modest 3-4" event for N.Maine.  Maybe you mean April 3-4 a year later, when they had a full-on major blizzard, 16" in Ft. Kent, 20" in Farmington, 12" of IP/SN in BGR - biggest accumulation in our 3 years there.  I went out during the late evening and was surprised there was so little on the ground, until I dug down - though my shoes only sank in about 2" there was 8-9" of 5:1 mix, and the most painful sleet I've ever felt as it was propelled by gusts 50+.  The Napoli-pizza addict students from Maine Maritime Academy (Castine had gusts to 80) had to move trees out of the way in order to get their Friday evening fix.  A (future) co-worker, watching the snow fall Friday night at the Seven Islands house across border from St.-Pamphile, PQ, vowed that he would not remain snowbound the next day.  When dawn came, his 3/4 ton pickup had only a small patch of red showing above the drifts - no driving home to St. Francis that day.

I was just messing :lol:

I admire your Will like recollection, though.

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yes April of 82 was a full blown blizzard here...a truly extreme mid winter event, that happened in April was exactly what it was...as rare as they come for sure.  The chances of anything happening even half that extreme is truly very rare...

8 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

If I remember correctly, weren't temperatures the next day brutally cold for April.  Thinking lows were in the teens!  I'll pass on a repeat this year since I'm flying to England next Thursday evening!

Fort Kent temps at my place on 4/7, when most of the snow fell, were 17/10.  In Farmington, where most snow came on the 6th, that next day had 18/5.  Only the polar-gale day of 4/5/1995 (16/6) had colder April temps.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Lived in BGR then.  Also, 4/2/74 was a modest 3-4" event for N.Maine.  Maybe you mean April 3-4 a year later, when they had a full-on major blizzard, 16" in Ft. Kent, 20" in Farmington, 12" of IP/SN in BGR - biggest accumulation in our 3 years there.  Temps were +/-30 for that one 10-15° milder than 1982.  I went out during the late evening and was surprised there was so little on the ground, until I dug down - though my shoes only sank in about 2" there was 8-9" of 5:1 mix, and the most painful sleet I've ever felt as it was propelled by gusts 50+.  The Napoli-pizza addict students from Maine Maritime Academy (Castine had gusts to 80) had to move trees out of the way in order to get their Friday evening fix.  A (future) co-worker, watching the snow fall Friday night at the Seven Islands house across border from St.-Pamphile, PQ, vowed that he would not remain snowbound the next day.  When dawn came, his 3/4 ton pickup had only a small patch of red showing above the drifts - no driving home to St. Francis that day.

Wow he was out in the allagash on those dirt roads during that one then...I've sledded out to St. Pamphlet a time or two...nothing out there for miles except those roads...beautiful country for sure, but remote area no doubt.  Ya, he wasn't getting back to ST. Francis in that type of snow in a truck...Mountain/powder sleds of today for sure...but no way any wheeled vehicle is going through snow of that magnitude being in that remote an area.  

Neat story Tamarack..thanks for sharing.

Archived