Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I am surprised that you don't like Fall.  I enjoy Fall, especially if it feels like an early winter is en route.

I hate losing the daylight.  It takes me til Halloween to get used to it and then I’m eager with anticipation.

I've spent many weeks fishing just to the east and south of Katahdin.  It dominates the skyline in that flattish section of Maine from Millinocket to Lincoln unlike any horizon in the Northeast.  It never ceases to amaze me when I see it again.  

katahdin.jpg

12 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

another intriguing extended Euro (d7+) solution .. def worth keeping an eye out for something over the next couple weeks 

There is a huge Archembault -type signal that's emerged over the last couple of days... but, therein is the problem - the 'last couple of days' 

As in, lacks consistency. The Tele's have been sort of en masse vacillating between cooler and warmer looks, so as a base canvas/correction vector they are not as useful. 

But, as is, the D8/9 Euro is fully supported by the GEFs, ...can't say much for the EPS  - although what can be gleaned via the free granular data on the web, the mean does more than less at least end up in a trough nearing around 80 W ...  

Bottom line, ...spring.   Get used to lies... the insidious part?  sometimes it's telling the truth ;)    

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

When you see it from I95 you're to the east of it then..and there doesn't seem to be to many big mountains in front of it(which would be it's east) at that point.  But maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly??

The scenic overlook accessed from I-95 North is SE of Katahdin, and there are indeed no significant mountains hindering the view.  However, Katahdin's beautiful symmetry is best seen from due south, like in the pic Hambone posted.  Best view from pavement of most of the Baxter Park mountains is a turnout along Route 11 on the 2nd hill south of Patten, slightly north of due east from Katahdin summit, so that one gets the mountain's profile rather than the better (IMO) full frontal view from the south.

53 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There is a huge Archembault -type signal that's emerged over the last couple of days... but, therein is the problem - the 'last couple of days' 

As in, lacks consistency. The Tele's have been sort of en masse vacillating between cooler and warmer looks, so as a base canvas/correction vector they are not as useful. 

But, as is, the D8/9 Euro is fully supported by the GEFs, ...can't say much for the EPS  - although what can be gleaned via the free granular data on the web, the mean does more than less at least end up in a trough nearing around 80 W ...  

Bottom line, ...spring.   Get used to lies... the insidious part?  sometimes it's telling the truth ;)    

EPS is stout 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

The scenic overlook accessed from I-95 North is SE of Katahdin, and there are indeed no significant mountains hindering the view.  However, Katahdin's beautiful symmetry is best seen from due south, like in the pic Hambone posted.  Best view from pavement of most of the Baxter Park mountains is a turnout along Route 11 on the 2nd hill south of Patten, slightly north of due east from Katahdin summit, so that one gets the mountain's profile rather than the better (IMO) full frontal view from the south.

You have an encyclopedic of Maine geography - at least the western side. Just had to look this up. I've never entered Baxter via the northern gate but have plans to this summer. I'll have to stop at that turnout plus given myself an extra hour to poke around the Lumbermen's Museum.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m of the opinion that a major , wind driven , powder snowstorm is coming between Napril 4-6th. Massive signal on all ensembles and many op runs. Gear up for one hell of a grand finale 

And you’re thinking “powder” at that??? 

Ok..not thinking that’s too likely.   But a storm along the coast...could possibly be in the cards. 

Hi everyone. As winter is closing up, we may receive a couple more snow sprinklings but other than that it's a wrap. I would like to thank everyone for a good season on the weather forum and I will still be around this summer, checking the forum and models while I drink a nice marg or stout in the sunshine in my lawn chair, watching the landscapers repair my damaged lawn. Hope to see you all there where we can make some winter weather predictions. 

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

EPS signal continues to get stronger overnight for a big one late net week. Even down past NYC. Probably the strongest signal of the winter season for a big storm

It’s certainly not the strongest of the winter but it is there.

Archived