March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

shows up well on modis

Capture.JPG

I love this time of year and the satellite images that show the snow cover... for some odd reason melt patterns and the differences of why one spot has no snow and the other doesn't fascinates me.

Union and Woodstock areas where some family lives and others have summer homes looks quite white.

Love this time of year in NNE... the bright sunny days with temps even hitting 40F is like euphoric right now.  Can't wait for 50s at some point.

Here's a shot from work at Stowe, looking towards Mount Washington and the Presidential Range.  The air is so crystal clear this time of year with the low dews...there's like no moisture in the air.

Crazy how big the MWN area looks in the crystal clear skies... the low-lands in the foreground of the photo are the fields along the RT 100 corridor near the Stowe/Morrisville border.  The MVL ASOS is near those fields and yet there's the Presidential Range looming in the distance.  Incredible when you look at a map that you can see part of the town of Stowe in this photo and MWN.

6hBVBVx.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I love this time of year and the satellite images that show the snow cover... for some odd reason melt patterns and the differences of why one spot has no snow and the other doesn't fascinates me.

Union and Woodstock areas where some family lives and others have summer homes looks quite white.

The hill I live on stands out with that solid stripe of white near the RI border

23 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Quite the gradient just east of the Quabbin, also impressive to see the snow cover hang on for so long even down to the cape. The hills when looking west from route 2 in Leominster show that deep white you don’t see all that often this time of year.

Interesting mini line of white there in eastern Connecticut...

Lol.....there’s a pile still melting on our street here in West Hartford.....it’s pitiful actually....this is it folks.....say goodbye for 9 months.....yep we’re seeing nothing good until at least Xmas.....winter here is a joke....need to move back to CA for anything legit and long lasting.....Tahoe City seems real nice....maybe Truckee

So I suppose there is something to keep an eye on. Maybe not full tilt, but back-burner worthy.  Next week will have some higher heights in the Davis Straits along with a piece of the PV off to the south in srn Canada. Certainly some ingredients for a late season event...obviously interior or NNE favored, but coast too. Some more favorable looks last couple of days. It's clown land and late in the season, so we know what that means....but as I said...back-burner stuff.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Love this time of year in NNE... the bright sunny days with temps even hitting 40F is like euphoric right now.  Can't wait for 50s at some point.

Here's a shot from work at Stowe, looking towards Mount Washington and the Presidential Range.  The air is so crystal clear this time of year with the low dews...there's like no moisture in the air.

Crazy how big the MWN area looks in the crystal clear skies... the low-lands in the foreground of the photo are the fields along the RT 100 corridor near the Stowe/Morrisville border.  The MVL ASOS is near those fields and yet there's the Presidential Range looming in the distance.  Incredible when you look at a map that you can see part of the town of Stowe in this photo and MWN.

6hBVBVx.jpg

Love that pic.  The off-white of the Presidentials reminds me of when we first moved to maine in Jan. 1973.  My bro-in-law, who was helping us unpack, wanted to climb a "Maine mountain", so we drove SW from BGR and spotted Dixmont Hill (atlas now calls it Harris Mt) and bushwhacked up to where all the TV towers were.  Great views of Penobscot Bay, but to the north was something even more off-white (almost orange-ish) that I couldn't place.  Later with more knowledge of Maine geography, I realized it was Katahdin, 90 miles away.  From the south it stands alone - would resemble MWN in the above, but with only about 20% of the pic's width having the white visible, the mts outside of that portion being non-existent.

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, Katahdin is quite the site from any direction...only about 1000ft lower than Washington...it's mighty impressive for sure!  But Washington is surrounded by big peaks, where Katahdin is kind of  a more solo looking structure due to the much smaller mountains around it.

I think the best view is from the top of Sugarloaf (Timberline lift) on winter or spring day with clear sky. Look northeast and Katahdin in very visible with the Bigelows looming immediately in front of you and look southwest and the Presidential's are laid out in front of you with the longfellow's laid out in front. 

I think the best view is from the top of Sugarloaf (Timberline lift) on winter or spring day with clear sky. Look northeast and Katahdin in very visible with the Bigelows looming immediately in front of you and look southwest and the Presidential's are laid out in front of you with the longfellow's laid out in front. 
Couldn't agree more, what a view this past weekend with the high March sun angle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, apm said:

Boy that storm spinning about 300 miles to the east of the BM looks spectacular today.  Imagine....

Swell forecast 12 ft at 14 seconds tomorrow is off the charts.  Those are west coast swell sizes. The local points tomorrow should be world class, no wind either. 

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, Katahdin is quite the site from any direction...only about 1000ft lower than Washington...it's mighty impressive for sure!  But Washington is surrounded by big peaks, where Katahdin is kind of  a more solo looking structure due to the much smaller mountains around it.

Has mountains 3000+ east, west and north, not much over 1000 to the south.

Archived