Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Personally, the only thing I'm asking is to have more sunshine on weekends so I can go out. I swear it's been cloudy and gloomy last several weekends.

This wish should be granted by July...maybe August. Buckle up for a New England spring along the coast.

1 hour ago, Tom12309 said:

That pic from Canaan is pure sugaring season.  The angle of the light, the way that snow looks even in a photo reminds me of nothing more than the beginning of sugaring season.  

There had to be just a ton of water in the storms that came through because it has been sunny and 40-45 for highs and there's still significant amounts about in the back yard not counting the banks and piles.  Cold nights refreezing it has given it quite the legs.  In December or January that'd be gone in a day even with the low light.  

Nah, the December and January snow in Canaan, VT tends to stick around.

Driving the back roads from Holliston to Quincy this morning it is amazing to see how fully covered things are even as close as 128 in Westwood. You knew this snow was going to be a bit stubborn to go though with the water content in it.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Driving the back roads from Holliston to Quincy this morning it is amazing to see how fully covered things are even as close as 128 in Westwood. You knew this snow was going to be a bit stubborn to go though with the water content in it.

My Yard is green, up the hill 1/4 mile 4 to 6 inches, roofs still have snow on them, check the ski thread, question for ya there

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Coverage is variable here as you’d expect for this time of year.

my fiancé’s house still has 8-12” in the backyard. Granted there is very little sun that gets back there and it is surrounded by huge pines.

I seriously think they may be the last place in Taunton to melt out.

That is pretty impressive.

Euro with the nice 2016 repeat on 4/5?

Obviously in clown range, but damn, that is frigid. It's actually a pretty robust system, so prob more like a 1982 repeat rather than 2016. It will prob be a cutter on the 00z, but fun to look at.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Obviously in clown range, but damn, that is frigid. It's actually a pretty robust system, so prob more like a 1982 repeat rather than 2016. It will prob be a cutter on the 00z, but fun to look at.

Polar vortex makes one last appearance. Hope SNE is ready for one last big winter hurrah 

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

A few runs now with the Euro showing some impressive cold...and some type of system during that time...Perhaps something to see if it holds to some extent/in some form as we progress through this week.

Lot of cold pretty close by and most likely over us at times during the next 2 weeks...so there's a reasonable chance we get a legit snow threat in there...at least for the interior. But the types of airmasses being shown could easily be plenty cold for the coast too....hence the 2016/1982 references from the Euro clown range today. That is like mid-winter stuff. Temps in the teens/20s and snow. We'll see if something materializes as we get closer. In the meantime over the next 6 days, we're gonna get a torch cutter (perhaps two of them)

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lot of cold pretty close by and most likely over us at times during the next 2 weeks...so there's a reasonable chance we get a legit snow threat in there...at least for the interior. But the types of airmasses being shown could easily be plenty cold for the coast too....hence the 2016/1982 references from the Euro clown range today. That is like mid-winter stuff. Temps in the teens/20s and snow. We'll see if something materializes as we get closer. In the meantime over the next 6 days, we're gonna get a torch cutter (perhaps two of them)

Too bad for the northern ski areas. Hopefully not too damaging  Pride is staying open to mid-April and even May 1st if they can do it, especially after such a lack luster February. 

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well, it'll make for some interesting runs over the next week to see if this can go anywhere?  But like you said...that's some serious cold air.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Eh...I have one foot out the door.

We shall see.

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ok I would sign for that lol. Otherwise I’m with ray. 

At least it gives me a reason to occsionally log onto wxbell again. Haven't touched that account since that last busted  event.

Would be nice to not end the year on a sour note for the second consecutive season.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

At least it gives me a reason to occsionally log onto wxbell again. Haven't touched that account since that last just event.

Would be nice to not end the year on a sour note for the second consecutive season.

I’ve been saying that. It’s funny, we ended 2016 on a fun note in April. 

4 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Still got plenty of snow around here despite March sun angle.

Personally, the only thing I'm asking is to have more sunshine on weekends so I can go out. I swear it's been cloudy and gloomy last several weekends.

How do you fare in sheet drizzle and temps in the low 40's?

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

How do you fare in sheet drizzle and temps in the low 40's?

Better in April here than January in North Carolina, I guess? Just give me couple sunny 60s/70s and I'll hang in there until my vacation back to Carolinas late-April.

Still 23" at the stake this morning, losing about an inch per day.  Have not taken a core, but I'd estimate 7" of LE in that pack.  Would not mind an early April refresher, though not 2016, which began 2 years of April snow-frustration here.  Also don't expect another 1982, which for snow, wind and cold I'd rate as at least a 100-year event for April in the Northeast. 

The warm rain late week looks to be the ice-popper for the medium sized rivers around here.  Ice on the Sandy looked solid yesterday, while the main stem rivers are probably clear MLT and points south.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

82 is an analog to this pattern, interesting

Archived