joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Putting things in perspective… It really is amazing those May snow encounters. I mean you really are only thirty days away from the highest sun angles of the year. I wonder … If a study that focuses on our specific latitude all the way around the planet relative to elevation of course, would that reveal that we have the latest snow occurrences over  anybody

There's probably several locations around the planet  near our latitude where the larger scale baseline circulation patterns favors them for late deliveries a cold - we're definitely one of them.  As hot as it can be at those times of the year it really is about excessive variability over very long duration 

I remember May 2005 quite well...I wasn't into the synoptics of everything as I am now, but there was a few days of heavy rains, then about two weeks of clouds and drizzle with the thermo pinned at like 49*F.

My guess is that we had one of those late season gyre's that John muses about just rot over us along with some onshore flow.....I mean we were just stuck in the casket right next to it as it decayed-

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nothing is worse that May, 2005 ... It is mathematically impossible

Summer 2009 did not arrive until August. July 4th was cloudy with onshore flow misery mist. Temps felt like they were in the 40s in Old Orchard Beach. I was interning at the New England Aquarium that year. The Boston restaurants couldn't open their outdoor seating until August. I used to take the T to the Common and then walk to the Aquarium. It was brutal.

2 hours ago, rimetree said:

I recall May 2005 for the flooding we had up in SE NH. Roads washed out all over the place. My normal commute of 30 minutes became an hour having to find a safe route through back roads. Don't recall specific duration but it was raining off and on for about a week or so.

05 or 06? Both were wet, but 06 was ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Summer 2009 did not arrive until August. July 4th was cloudy with onshore flow misery mist. Temps felt like they were in the 40s in Old Orchard Beach. I was interning at the New England Aquarium that year. The Boston restaurants couldn't open their outdoor seating until August. I used to take the T to the Common and then walk to the Aquarium. It was brutal.

I'm sure it was. 

May 2005 could not be worse without a f'n comet impact 

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remember May 2005 quite well...I wasn't into the synoptic of everything as I am now, but there was a few days of heavy rains, then about two weeks of clouds and drizzle with the thermo pinned at like 49*F.

My guess is that we had one of those late season gyre's that John muses about just rot over us along with some onshore flow.....I mean we were just stuck in the casket right next to it as it decayed-

Thanks.  I think John has me blocked so I probably should not have replied to his message asking him about 2005.

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Thanks.  I think John has me blocked so I probably should not have replied to his message asking him about 2005.

At least May 2005 came on the heels of a great winter....nothing worse than having a ratter of a winter flip the switch once the lights blast on at Fenway.

Here's your block, b*tch.

Obviously there's a goodly measure of subjectivity to the discussion at hand ... but I suspect what most can agree is to a general distaste for unrelenting ennui. 

For me usually I can find something to derive semblance of enough excitement to at least be interested, even heat wave Synoptics.  But ... three consecutive weeks of -27 dailies with enough rain to fill everyone's in ground swimming pools really has 0 redeeming value 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That was 2002, not 2005.  A terrible winter that ended with 2-3" of snow on May 18th for me near ALB while 10 miles away at 1,300ft got 6-7".

We bought our house in 2001.  We are at about 1650 feet, 70 miles west of Albany.

We spent much of our available funds and energy planting lilacs in our yard that year.

i can still remember my wife getting up for work on that fateful morning and shrieking in horror. Our leafed out lilacs were crushed under 6 inches of heavy wet snow.  We cleaned them the best we could.  We had about 25% attrition.

11 hours ago, Hoth said:

I'm trying to remember...way back when I was a lifeguard in the summer, we had a month where there was a cutoff from hell that just sat and sat and pinwheeled misery mist and 50s for weeks on end. I don't think it was May though because the pool usually opened after Memorial Day. Maybe June? At any rate, it was so miserable all the guards were bringing blankets from home and we didn't have a single customer in the pool for at least a week. That set the bar for what a miserable summer month could look like.

The summer of 2009. We had onshore flow, with clouds and misery mist until August. It was horrid. I was at Old Orchard Beach on July 4th, and no one was at the beach. Tourists would swarm any cheesy sweatshirt stand and buy out all the warm clothes because nobody packed anything other than swimsuits and flipflops

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

June 2009 was pretty awful as well iirc

First week was nice and dry, but from then thru early August we had rain on 49 of the next 56 days, warmest day barely got over 80, and met summer had about 2 feet of rain.

The 2 summers I worked at Curtiss-Wright's lake resort (for employees) in NNJ are examples of how different summers can be.  Met summer 1966 was NYC's hottest an driest JJA on record; 2010 beat the heat record by a tenth or two while the drought mark stands.  7/4 was on a Monday that year, and the 3-day weekend had NYC highs of 100,103,98 - LGA touched 107 on that Sunday.  We had sunny and hot, day after day.  That was the only time I saw copperheads (all dispatched by the time I observed) as the dry heat brought them out of the cliffs.  Then the next year the temp barely reached 90, once or twice, it rained almost every weekend, and sun was in short supply all season.

Archived