Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

They had a lot of near 0 winters since 1990.

Yeah the 1980s weren't that bad down there. They were horrendous up in New England though. Our 30 year averages will def go up. BOS may be like 47" in the new 30 year average but not sure how they smooth it. They may not raise it as much since they use some sort of smoothing Algorithm 

The GGEM solution last night did what no other verified system this year has ... actually produced a K.U. storm... I-95 corridor style - although arguable with some mix issues on the short side of that metric.

The Euro solution came in more amplified ... that's the important take away.  One aspect I would like to point out to the crooning cinematic audience of the modeling mise en scene ... the Euro has a known seaward bias along the eastern seaboard ... NCEP pointed that out a coupe of times this winter in their Ext. range discussions, often having to correct westward in short ranges. It may "seem" like guess work, but I can aver clad scientific reasoning why this is a candidate scenario for just such a bias, and combing those with the former fact that it was indeed more amplified, that hearkens to a bigger impact potential for me.   

Regardless of the specific model's bias, et al, we are still clearly having some sampling issue in the runs. The 00z to 06z comparison among the MESO models (I think) plays homage to that.  The 00z NAM and that ICON model both took a similar tact that moved closer to a GGEM total solutiion, but then, ...en masse, they both went less amplified in almost precise measure - certainly by evolution-complexion that was true - on the very next cycle, the 06z, which is not a run that gets the complete benefit of the physical input. That sort of mirror behavior among cousin solutions disparate nonetheless, tells me that input (as in the initialization) is more likely the cause for continuity irregularities there.

The flow upstream from the Pacific into western N/A could not be more complex. It's midland to weak stream nebularity that the models then try to resolve out in time... and, out in time, this whole ejection east of placeholder trough construct, it is taking place in a non-traditional PNAP.  The ridge in the west is not really in a stronger configuration on the heels of the ejected material, ...whereby, the whole circulation medium would more traditionally force a deeper solution in the east due to wave spacing/reasons.  This is a crumble up sort of event on the EC, where downstream residual -NAO tendencies is forcing the front of the wave to slow, and that's sort of akin to a tsunamis metaphor - that's when the front of wave slows against the land, and the back of the wave then rears above...and so on. Not sure what would serve as a for better-than-worse analog for this sort of total evolution.  Perhaps Feb 8-10, 1969 or even March 1960 ... these are examples of more modest western ridges but waves that rolled up and broke in a flatter type of flow once they succeed the 80th and/or 70th longitudes.  

The models never do as well with back-logged wave spacing arguments as they do when things are in a nice orderly west to east procession of events and features. That much I know.  And, I don't think the western ridge is going to be showing up to these affairs.  ...The -PNA preceding and during is probably helping to negate. 

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nothing doing on the NAM

Yeah it really either was shadowed and missed a lot of data, or... it is finally sampling it ... It's so drastically different when comparing the last more input dense run, the 00z cycle, that I don't think it's much use without more continuity. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Apparently the ICON and CMC hold more value to some. :facepalm:

anyways we track. Certainly close enough at this range for something better.

I value neither, They swing wildly run to run, How can anybody that at least is half knowledgeable place any stock in them is beyond me.

Archived