Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel great about that Devault 1 W report of 49.0" either.

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-1F156949-8C24-4617-B5DF-20DD1878B86A.pdf

All snow for the month was 10:1 off the liquid, then during the storm all daily liquid is missing except for a 2.03" written in at the end. That's a 24:1 for the storm, again with wet snow comment and temps reaching the 40s each day.

Fishy.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He was prob mostly hinting that it was totally off topic...we got a banter thread.

Yeah. I mean this is a serious weather thread. If someone is going to interrupt it for Florida related news it better be something really big like Mickey Mouse getting mugged. We’re talkin March of 58 here.

One of the most amazing results occurred in Morgantown, PA at an elevation of 750 feet in which an astonishing 50 inches of snow accumulated during the March blizzard - still the highest ever for a single snowstorm in southeastern PA. In fact, snow piled up on ridge tops all the way from southeastern to northeastern PA with an incredible five feet of snow (60 inches) covering the ground by March 23rd in the small Poconos village of Gouldsboro – still the greatest amount ever in the state of Pennsylvania for a single snowstorm

Until last fall, when Erie eclipsed it (with fake snow - mongo LES.)
That 1958 storm made life very interesting for our family.  We (dad, older bro and me) were waiting at EWR for mom and little bro - not quite 5 yr old.  Their 4-prop Connie was supposed to land at DCA so they could have a dinner flight to EWR, but the DC airport was snowed in (only 6" there, but DC.)  It was dz/fog at EWR - their 15" would come later - so the airplane got bumped again, finally landing at JFK (then Idlewild) after being informed that Newfoundland was the next option.  Mom had to taxi back to Newark dragging 2 suitcases and a twerp, we all piled into the '55 Chevy wagon and hit SN+ long before we got home.  By the end of the next day we had 24" of paste, and places within 10 miles had nearly 30.  That's north central Jersey hills, not PA, but the Morgantown 50 is not the only big time report from that part of the Keystone State.
The equinoctial sun can really smoke a snowpack.  Oak Ridge reservoir, less than 10 miles from home, had 33" after that event (had 5" leftovers from the 14-15 storm going in), and 4 days later it was down to 12".  Canistear reservoir, another 8 miles NW, 200' higher and holder of NJ's snowpack record (52" in Feb 61) got up to 34" and 4 days later had 14", thanks in part to an upper-40s rain event on 25-26.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

God, you've been in and out of the conversation more times than I can count since the first Rainer Nor'Easter two weeks ago...lol, make sure when this comes roaring back, you stay Bowed out this time.

Nah. This one will have the low running over the cape and will.be just far enough NW to be primarily a rain event for my area. 

I am good with it though.  These past 2 storms more than made up for the February fail.

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Nah. This one will have the low running over the cape and will.be just far enough NW to be primarily a rain event for my area. 

I am good with it though.  These past 2 storms more than made up for the February fail.

You'll eyeore your way to another 10

Archived