Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2 years in a row now I heard a lot of people (not on this forum necessarily, though there were a few rumblings, but out in the general public) think winter was done in late February when we got those obscene torches and now two years in a row they get a rude awakening in March....remember before 2013 after a string of cruddy Marches we said we were due for some huge Marches? Well we've gotten them recently.

I heard tell that some may have even started saying that March was no longer a winter month and that it should even be renamed to Morch.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The rain this winter in SNE has been copious all around.  A lot more for your area, but still way above avg even in the highlands

Yup see, picking on us again.  They just can't accept that lately when they rain, we rain as well...but when they KU we don't. 

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Yup see, picking on us again.  They just can't accept that lately when they rain, we rain as well...but when they KU we don't. 

You should be mad at your own brethren 5 miles east of you for spanking you hard and fast in Jan 2015 and the other day.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You should be mad at your own brethren 5 miles east of you for spanking you hard and fast in Jan 2015 and the other day.

Yeah ORH has given him an ass-whooping in the KUs recently....nobody in SNE would consider ORH as not part of the interior.

27 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I seem to recall certain posters here saying how March was no longer a winter month and they weren't coming back.  ;)

I hear the same thing in the maple community.  Producers keep talking about tapping earlier and earlier due to warm outbreaks but also because modern tapping equipment allow for longer seasons and taking advantage of those early warm-ups.  Then we hit March and it turns cold again.  The public grumbling about the recent March's may also be because they have been repeatedly told that winter is ending earlier due to GW.

On a regional scale, we've been resisting that force the past 3 decades despite years like 2010 and 2012....and actually really it's flat back to the 1940s (the 1940s had some epic torch Marches)

MarchTempTrend.png

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

PWM 1946 0" snow.

Like no Ts even.

ORH somehow managed a T on a T of precip on 3/11/46 so probably a passing flurry or snow shower on the one cold day of the entire month. 2 highs in the 30s all month (with a low max of 38F) for ORH....that's pretty hard to do. Amazingly, the year before in 1945 was even warmer March for ORH and remains the warmest March on record there.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s a beast 

2+ day event 

I don't think I'd call it a beast...it's pretty ugly actually and a bit disorganized. It's prob a moderate event. But it has a lot of potential...could be something much bigger.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think I'd call it a beast...it's pretty ugly actually and a bit disorganized. It's prob a moderate event. But it has a lot of potential...could be something much bigger.

Yeah that setup could be really juicy. Just need to get the shortwaves to behave. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah that setup could be really juicy. Just need to get the shortwaves to behave. 

Ideally that bowling ball coming out of the west coast drives to the coast with the split flow producing the high over southern Canada. Then before it can escape a piece of the northern stream dives in behind it and backs the flow causing it to make the turn, but it can't go anywhere because of the blocking so it sits off the coast and dumps snow until it occluded.

in my dreams maybe

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Lol what a clusterf*** of shortwaves that was. Final solution should look approximately 15% like that one.

Archived