SnowHabit
March or BUST! - Pattern & Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

19.5 for March. 

The next system may be warm but we will see. Want the guidance further south at this juncture.

Na I disagree that it will be warm we have a relatively cold week in advance of it and the cold airmass will be around for the storm if it does comes to fruition.

Depends on what one is thinking when they use the adjective "warm" to describe what is becoming increasingly more possible per passing model cycle for yet another in a steady diet of coastal storms - this next one centered roughly on March 20th.

NCEP: "...THE SYSTEM EMERGING FROM THE WEST WILL SPREAD PRECIP ACROSS THE CENTRAL/EASTERN U.S. DURING THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK. BEST POTENTIAL FOR SNOW SHOULD EXTEND FROM THE NORTHERN PLAINS EASTWARD WHILE LOCATIONS FROM FROM THE MID-UPPER MS VALLEY/OH VALLEY THROUGH MID ATLANTIC APPEAR TO HAVE THE GREATEST UNCERTAINTY FOR THE PROPORTION OF RAIN VS SNOW BASED ON SURFACE LOW TRACK SPREAD. THIS SYSTEM WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO DEVELOP INTO ANOTHER STORM THAT COULD BRING SIGNIFICANT WIND/PRECIP EFFECTS TO AREAS ALONG THE EAST COAST. ..."

If by warm, one is thinking rain... while I would not outright discount that possibility as a show of respect and acknowledgement to March climatology ... for this particular system/hemispheric circumstance governing, even at this far out in time (D 6.5), the correction vector is pointed toward colder system types.  That's per larger mass-field (tele's) arguments combined with trends ..et al. It is getting late in the year, and fact of the matter is... and yes, the sun is passing over the Equator on that day which ... for spatial homage is like September 20th - imagine that..?   

That said, I have seen blowing snow at 1 pm as late as April 11 before. But, drama aside, the NAO is not going anywhere (I don't believe).  The west based nature of the block may at times appear to be dissolved (and I don't buy the 00z Euro's notion of summer south of the Mason Dixie D9+) but the vestigial tendency for it is still being placed there by the hemispheric circulation overall...such that given the smallest reason to reestablish its self, it does.  You can see this in occasional operational guidance cycles...  But, it's not just the NAO really..? It's really the entire collar of the 60th parallel around the hemisphere having that tendency...probably keyed into the general (though slowly recovering) -AO.  The Euro in fact has a -3 EPO suddenly...actually the GEFs have that index, WPO too for that matter, both tanking over the next week.  AA phases of the N. Pacific don't tend to parlay to warm Marches - too early for that. 

Anyway... the short version is that yet another winter storm is possible if not likely early to mid next week.  Right now...I'd lean moderate potency and probably average size (in terms of areal coverage)?  But that could certainly change.  I would also lean colder on the N arc and probably colder than the models would resolve at this lead. 

Also... some 9 GEFs members from 00z out of the 12 I saw have significant cyclones depicted, perhaps lending confidence. We seem to be locked into a weekly periodicity and regular oscillatory behavior is not that uncommon during in situ patterns.  Until we lose that 60 N tendency for blocking nodes, I suggest the base canvas has not changed. A circumstance that I think fades until diabatic wash really finally beats the season to death ...I dunno, first week of April.   That doesn't mean we're guaranteed of course.. but until that becomes more evidence, we probably have actionable atrocities to the spring/warm weather enthusiasts.

Probably could use excerpts of this post to start a thread actually ... but, someone else do it - I did the last three. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

2, 12, 10.5 here. Could have been much better but that’s typically how my winter’s go. Always close to the big ones but never truly big. That’s what she said. 

I am above avg for the season though so not a bad way to close out the season...Another good event would raise the winter grade up a notch. Currently sits around 77 out of 100.

If it weren't for all the rainers I would say yes......while this March encore is nice and all I can't get behind a winter featuring that horid stretch we had mid Jan through Feb.....just awful

13 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

If it weren't for all the rainers I would say yes......while this March encore is nice and all I can't get behind a winter featuring that horid stretch we had mid Jan through Feb.....just awful

I get it but most winters have bad stretches sprinkled throughout... it just so happenned ours came in one lump sum of 6-8 weeks smack in the middle. But if you totalled those good winters with bad stretches I bet you would total around the same 6 weeks, give or take.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I get it but most winters have bad stretches sprinkled throughout... it just so happenned ours came in one lump sum of 6-8 weeks smack in the middle. But if you totalled those good winters with bad stretches I bet you would total around the same 6 weeks, give or take.

I know.....I don't normally get all worked up about it but dude.....the rain.....all the rain.....:maprain:

2 hours ago, JKEisMan said:

8", 24", 7" for the last 3 storms in New Fairfield. Would be interesting to see a map for total March accumulations across SNE.

Tickling 40" here for March so far and only halfway through.  Can we top 50"? 60"?  Would be a Morch to remember.

I was up in your neighborhood on Sunday morning and it was pretty incredible up over the hilltops. I'm not used to seeing that significant a snowpack in that area. I went back up to another spot on Monday and it had dropped a bit but was still a lot for March. I'm about 25 miles south, pretty much at the top of my hill, and had 12", 18" and 5". 

3_11_18a.jpg

KIMG1323.jpg

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

2, 12, 10.5 here. Could have been much better but that’s typically how my winter’s go. Always close to the big ones but never truly big. That’s what she said. 

I am above avg for the season though so not a bad way to close out the season...Another good event would raise the winter grade up a notch. Currently sits around 77 out of 100.

I have not had a double digit accumulation in over a year.  :(

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Running out of places to put the snow. Gfs drops another foot for all

A lot will melt between now and then in this late August-early September like sun.  

And that's showing rain for E and SE MA after a little front end snow.  Verbatim of course.  EURO was a whiff up until 0z last night.  

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Another foot here on the GFS...   not that I would put any stock in that pos model

Just started looking at this one for obvious reasons as its still snowing here from yesterdays storm but the Euro had it too at 0z last night.

7 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Been on and off ... the "general public" peeps are all aware of the possibility too

Keith Carson ,Todd Guntner as well as Charlie Lopresti have made sure the "all" know too...................:lol:, I'll wait a few more days before i rile up the masses again on FB.

Archived