Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March Lion Storm

cyclone77

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Drastic changes at H5 this close are beyond laughable. Hard to believe how much inconsistency there is. 

On the other hand, the 0z Nam is pretty sweet!

With how pancaked the southern wave looked at 24 you could have been forgiven for thinking this thing was going to ride the OH river. But the SE ridging was a bit more robust and that blocking lobe over Quebec weakened enough to gives us a very yummy run.

Still riding the line but that's a snowstorm.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@Stebo

You think this system will produce enough cold air on its own to be primarily snow on NW quadrant? There is virtually no cold air source, just self produced. Believe this will be an elevation based event. 

I do believe so, especially once it phases. It will pull in some colder air at the surface from the Northeast and Northwest. Combine this with the dynamic cooling from aloft on down. Lastly what should help initially is the lakes are pretty cold too and we will get a flow off them by early on Thursday locally and out of the East in general for Ontario. It is marginal in the sense that we need it to phase as it gets to Indiana otherwise the further west you go the less the potential gets.

I'd say the 12z NAMs were a step back in right direction toward faster phase aiding in getting the convective rates and flip to heavy wet snow over the Chicago area. Gonna be very close though with little room for error this far west. More margin for error over lower MI. Could easily be a miss just to our east here.

8 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

First call for mby is 4" of cement. And after 3 weeks with not a flake of snow...I'll be happy to take it.

This has a chance to be one of the biggest disruptive snowstorms of the year for the GTA. 2 weeks of above normal temperatures, today is going to get into low to mid 50s. The last thing on peoples minds is a 3-6" (could be a lot more, especially western GTA) with winds over 30mph could make the friday morning commute horrifying. 

Add to the fact that the models are still all over the place, so getting the word out of a possible snowstorm is hindered. 

Do you think EC follows NWS Buffalo and goes with a Winter Storm Watch at the 3:30pm update? 

13 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Do you think EC follows NWS Buffalo and goes with a Winter Storm Watch at the 3:30pm update? 

I think they should for the Hamilton-Niagara corridor. That area is looking ripe for a 8"-12" jackpot. 

GFS seems a bit far north, I'm liking a Euro/NAM blend at the moment. Not sure how useful snow maps are given ratios will likely be poor for the majority of the event. Still worth noting some big precip amounts showing up so we'll have to see at what point things change over to have higher end amounts realized.

00Z ECMWF:

IMG_2159.JPG

Overall,sounds lame across the board. Easy to get sucked in by some of those amped NAM runs. Reality, just have to hope for a surprise flip to heavy wet snow as alluded to by LOT in thier overnight discussion. 2-3" of slop is sort of lame at this point in the season. 

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

I'd say the 12z NAMs were a step back in right direction toward faster phase aiding in getting the convective rates and flip to heavy wet snow over the Chicago area. Gonna be very close though with little room for error this far west. More margin for error over lower MI. Could easily be a miss just to our east here.

I'd hate to be you guys/gals.  :P  But I think conservative is the way to go right now as there's just not enough agreement/support for the NAM.  As was mentioned, the morning AFD did a nice job laying out the wide array of possibilities.

Archived