Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Would you believe I have read people commute to the city from Pike Co? Don't know anyone but I read it somewhere. And I know people that took a van shuttle from Ocean Co every day to Manhattan to work in advertising.

We have a guy in my office that commutes everyday from the Philly burbs to Ramsey, NJ and we had a guy that commuted everyday from Seaside Park.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EasternLI said:

Don't know if they were from Pike, but I have definitely followed commuters on the highway all the way to NYC from the Scranton area before. Multiple times.

We've always had people commute to ENJ from EPA, me, I rode from Woodbridge to Jackson HS every morning 30 years ago and school started at 7 15. It was a brutal ride and I would be slapping myself awake on the way home at 2 pm. And that was when I was young.

54 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We have a guy in my office that commutes everyday from the Philly burbs to Ramsey, NJ and we had a guy that commuted everyday from Seaside Park.

Home of the famous Ramsey Outdoors; I used to sell ad space for a fishing magazine. Back when you could make a living doing that.

18 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Binghamton has been getting hammered.  They were only expecting an inch or so and have been in catch up mode with the forecast:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BGM-N0Q-1-48

https://www.weather.gov/bgm/webcam

Speaking of that I have been watching the radar. They have been under solid returns for hours and hours. 

Looks like an accumulating snow shower out by you too!!! Just had a nice burst of light snow on the UWS 

19 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Speaking of that I have been watching the radar. They have been under solid returns for hours and hours. 

Looks like an accumulating snow shower out by you too!!! Just had a nice burst of light snow on the UWS 

We've got a good solid coating.  I must have looked a little eccentric a few moments ago measuring 0.2" with a ruler.  I think we may even tack on another tenth before its done.

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You always find a way to snow there. That snow shower looked pretty intense on radar. My buddy in st James just texted me and said what’s going on why is it snowing like crazy? 

Yea I have been very lucky this winter. Been in solid banding and on the right side in marginal events. Winter goes to a B+ now that I’m above 50. 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Talk about a positive bust!  From WWA to 18" during the event?  My son thinks he is getting the day off tomorrow.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
932 PM EDT Wed Mar 14 2018

.SYNOPSIS...
Periods of snow, which could be locally heavy, will continue
this evening over parts of north central New York but should
taper off late tonight and Thursday morning. Light snow showers
with little accumulation are possible Thursday and Friday with
dry weather this weekend.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...

915 pm update...

Deep synoptic wrap around moisture is combining with lake
enhancement and a NW upslope flow to produce widespread heavy
snow in Central NY and the northern tier of PA...mainly downwind
of the Finger Lakes. Snowfall rates of 1-2.5 inches per hour
have been reported in parts of Tompkins, Tioga, Broome,
Susquehanna and Cortland counties this evening. The winter
weather advisory was upgraded to a winter storm warning for
Tioga, Broome and Susquehanna Counties in effect until 5 AM
Thursday morning. Snow amounts were updated and increased for
this evening and tonight over the region. Snow totals will
likely range from 6-12 inches in this area, with localized
amounts up to 18 inches not impossible.

7 hours ago, psv88 said:

Yea I have been very lucky this winter. Been in solid banding and on the right side in marginal events. Winter goes to a B+ now that I’m above 50. 

you dont get those kinds of bands down here - trust me its way more than luck lol

it's the same reason we dont get the big tstorms in the summer down here either.

We had some snow showers, nothing heavy or even moderate, but car tops did get a coating

To date, 13.5” snow has fallen at Islip. That makes March 2018 the 4th snowiest March total on record at Islip. In addition, Binghamton, which began March with a 15.6” seasonal snowfall deficit received 8.0” snow yesterday. Binghamton now has seasonal snowfall that is 5.9” above average to date.

Following today’s possible snow showers and snow squall, a period of benign but generally cooler than normal weather will follow. Next week could see another storm exiting the East Coast. Some of the guidance, including the 0z ECMWF show the potential for a moderate to significant snowfall across parts of the region.

New York City’s Average Temperature Through:

3/14 38.7° (1.1° below normal)
3/15 38.5°-38.9° (3/14 estimate: 38.5°-38.9°)
3/20 38.0°-39.5° (3/14 estimate: 38.0°-39.4°)

Per aggressive sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of an above normal monthly anomaly: 40% (3/14 estimate: 40%)

Next 8 days still averaging 39degs., or about 4degs. BN.

Month to date is  -1.10.

GFS is a dud for any storm(06Z however is back to 1" of rain, from a trace).   CMC is wild at 12".  EURO holding up with 6"+, but we are only 50 miles away from getting nothing.

Newark went from the first 80 degree temperature in February to the 5th coldest March maximum temperature so far. 

Newark coldest March maximum temperatures

61....2018 so far....2013....1937

Archived