Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's a little early, but there's potential. We may have colder air with which to work, but the possible storm is still about a week away.

We have to watch the track too, and hope it's not a hugger.

The two primary tracks this winter seem to be too close to the coast or too far offshore lol.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's a little early, but there's potential. We may have colder air with which to work, but the possible storm is still about a week away.

Don you hit the nail on the head with your winter forecast for SW CT.

You compared this winter to 2000 2001. I received 42 inches that year and this year we are up to 39.5 including the 2 inches so far today.

Thanks for the accurate prediction.

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Don you hit the nail on the head with your winter forecast for SW CT.

You compared this winter to 2000 2001. I received 42 inches that year and this year we are up to 39.5 including the 2 inches so far today.

Thanks for the accurate prediction.

Thanks. We're probably not finished yet.

in December we got snow that was all powder with no rain mixed in...now we are getting wet snow events with rain mixed in...My area has three measurable snows since the 1st...0.3"...8.0"...1.0"...like Don said it's not over...we might get one or two more of these wet snowfalls...

4 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I feel bad for the city folk, however, I have a solid snow pack; tack on the 3.5" I received this morning. With others reporting of the NAO dipping, combined with threats for snow, this has the potential to delay spring planting in my area for quite a while.

the city did well considering the warm Feb...it's near the long term average of 28.4"...I dont know what was measured in CP but they under measure at times especially with events like today...

12 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the city did well considering the warm Feb...it's near the long term average of 28.4"...I dont know what was measured in CP but they under measure at times especially with events like today...

Looks like our first two years in a row for spring in February and winter in March.

49 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I feel bad for the city folk, however, I have a solid snow pack; tack on the 3.5" I received this morning. With others reporting of the NAO dipping, combined with threats for snow, this has the potential to delay spring planting in my area for quite a while.

Look at what they are missing out on...

Image result for NYC black snow

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Looks like our first two years in a row for spring in February and winter in March.

the 1950's and 1960 had a few March's that were more wintry than February...1956 was like that...from 51-60 there were five March's with more snow than the any other winter month that year...there were five Aprils with measurable snow...

24 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the 1950's and 1960 had a few March's that were more wintry than February...1956 was like that...from 51-60 there were five March's with more snow than the any other winter month that year...there were five Aprils with measurable snow...

Moreso the final 5 years than the first (which were almost all pretty crummy snow seasons anyway.)  56-60 had 4 of 5 years with March the biggest snow month and the biggest single storm.

5 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Thanks. We're probably not finished yet.

I got my 4 to 5 in Monmouth and up to 12 in E Suffolk , so the revised #s for number 3 worked.

This one just took off to the N and E 

I don't want to say what # 4 is ( more widespread) or Forky will say all I do is call for snow.

I will leave it at that Don.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

The snow potential next week  looks legit since we have a source of cold air and the second -NAO dip of the month. This is one of the biggest March -NAO drops after being so positive for DJF.

nao.sprd2.thumb.gif.9ff6f98bde8841b1cbed1892e209db5a.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

Chris look at the boundary and DPs waiting for that one 

Just need the SW

22 minutes ago, North and West said:

I have a work trip to Boston planned Monday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon. Any early indications yet on what the models are looking at for that time frame? Would be flying EWR to BOS and back.

At this range impossible to know.  They all have a storm in the area.  The ultimate result probably comes down to what the 50/50 low or vortex off Canada does.  If it lifts out the storm is probably mostly an inland thread.  If it really stays locked in it may be mostly to the south of here.   Something in between it could be a major DCA-BOS event  

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

At this range impossible to know.  They all have a storm in the area.  The ultimate result probably comes down to what the 50/50 low or vortex off Canada does.  If it lifts out the storm is probably mostly an inland thread.  If it really stays locked in it may be mostly to the south of here.   Something in between it could be a major DCA-BOS event  

Thanks - figured it's way too early, but wanted to ask.

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

any good analogs to this?

March 1956 and March 1967 possibly?

Wow the April 1982 blizzard is on this list?!

I'm not aware of the March 1958 storm, was that a big one for us Chris?

Interesting in March 1967 we had a near miss just like this one before we got the big one.

I'm familiar with the March 1991 events we had two storms after the middle of March which is unusual.

3/26/06 I'm not familiar with lol.

Also, did we have snow in April 1963 and April 1975- I'm not aware.

Any thoughts on when the blocking/-NAO relax and we start seeing some warmer temps?

Would love to see next week's storm pan out and then introduce some spring into the mix (mainly because of an early season golf trip down in Ocean City starting April 5th). Average high is right around 60 then.

2 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Even in the wake of a significant Nor’easter, temps have found a way to over-perform just a bit. Currently 40 and rising, despite the sun going down.

More than half of the snow that fell just hours ago is gone.

Lol most of it was gone before the sun even came out here- it was gone before 4 pm here.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Lol most of it was gone before the sun even came out here- it was gone before 4 pm here.

same here-some left on the grass, but with it ending in the late morning with minimal cold air around it was vaporized within hours.  No need to even clear the driveway or walkway with this one.

38 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

same here-some left on the grass, but with it ending in the late morning with minimal cold air around it was vaporized within hours.  No need to even clear the driveway or walkway with this one.

The 9.5 here is down to about 4 now. 

Archived