Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We're probably going to see a lot of tide gauges with little to no water drop between tides Friday. Those east winds are going to prevent water receding. A place like Hampton may see water over the roads for 12+ hours Friday.

This is precisely why successive high tides become amplifying as an impact -- It's that 2nd cycle... This is what happened in 1978 and I think 1992 if memory serves.  The 2nd third cycles were sort of warned (more so) by the first 

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

I'm not solely focused on snow. There's going to be blizzard of 78 level coastal damage potentially. If you're talking just snow you have to be more clear. I could easily still see 6-12" in a CCB. 

then i apologize for not being clear on that....yes this is going to be a big storm....but i think your wrong on 6-12 i'm not bashing anyone  

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Nice. I was only going off the ptype maps, still sinks south pretty quick doesn't it?

Yeah it doesn't hold on as long as the NAM, but its longer than before...so it trended in a good direction. 06z run had the firehose almost done by 00z...while 12z run has it hammering into S NH still.

ANZ232-254-255-011700-
/O.CAN.KBOX.SR.A.0002.180302T1200Z-180303T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KBOX.HF.A.0001.180302T1500Z-180303T0900Z/
Nantucket Sound-
Coastal waters from Provincetown MA to Chatham MA to Nantucket MA
out 20 nm-
Coastal Waters extending out to 25 nm South of Marthas Vineyard
and Nantucket-
350 AM EST Thu Mar 1 2018

...HURRICANE FORCE WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Hurricane
Force Wind Watch, which is in effect from Friday morning through
late Friday night. The Storm Watch has been cancelled.

* WINDS AND SEAS...Northeast winds 30 to 40 kt with gusts up to
  70 kt. Seas 26 to 31 feet.

WOW

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is why I pulled the rug out west on Nemo and got killed by them for it, but was right. I called the EURO on BS.

Someone is gonna get pounded on the W side of the 850/700 lows while someone who seemingly in better position going in who is on the NNE side gets dry slotted.  I could see a place like Danbury CT doing better than Boston without a doubt...and I don’t mean Boston airport I mean 15-20 Miles inland 

The "experimental" snow forecast on GYX's website looks bizarre, but probably only reflects the low confidence of forecasts for this event.  The "most likely" for Farmington is <1", but there's a 10% chance of 14".  (And a 10% chance of nada.)  I expect some sheet drizzle on 30 mph gusts - lovely. 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

The "experimental" snow forecast on GYX's website looks bizarre, but probably only reflects the low confidence of forecasts for this event.  The "most likely" for Farmington is <1", but there's a 10% chance of 14".  (And a 10% chance of nada.)  I expect some sheet drizzle on 30 mph gusts - lovely. 

sounds like a testing phase...

Heh, maybe we will get historic here after all. 

I think the CF is about as high probability for significant impact at the major side of the spectrum as I've ever seen it.  However, I am just middle aged - I can imagine a scenario, if perhaps one where we merely have not lived long enough to witness,  where a similar powerful maelstrom occurred spatial-temporally located upon a top tier spring tide scenario.   

I get the feeling that timing that is so exceptionally rare, a rare tide on top of a rare atmospheric juggernaut ... it's like the same reason why we haven't all fried sooner in a Carrington Event .. purely a numbers game... 

However, Friday's top tide is in fact an augmented one nonetheless, and this is timed about an inch short of ideal relative to that... The 2nd tide tomorrow is actually not lunar schedule "quite" as tall but still elevated... and combining, as Oceanwx adroitly pointed out.. the recession/ebb being challenged to do so by wave and wind pile, culminates and is disconcertingly setting the entire coast up for a very high impact scenario. 

I really believe even if it snows prodigiously in the interior (if perhaps by the chagrin of previous warm-biased solutions/modeling...), the bigger concern is centered on the shores zones.

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is precisely why successive high tides become amplifying as an impact -- It's that 2nd cycle... This is what happened in 1978 and I think 1992 if memory serves.  The 2nd third cycles were sort of warned (more so) by the first 

That's why March 1962 was so devastating for the Jersey coast.  IIRC, the surge lasted thru 3-4 tidal cycles.   (In NNJ we were primed for up to 20" snow, got 2" as the storm hung a sharp right.  SNJ got 2-3" of mostly RA.)

1 minute ago, GaryS said:

Here in Marblehead, the mouth of the harbor faces due NE. With seas to 30 feet and winds 60 to 70 knts, I see a lot of damage coming. I'll film what I can and post it here Sunday. Not concerned with snow this storm.

TIA.  It would be great for us Western folk if we can get some coastal videos posted. 

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Someone is gonna get pounded on the W side of the 850/700 lows while someone who seemingly in better position going in who is on the NNE side gets dry slotted.  I could see a place like Danbury CT doing better than Boston without a doubt...and I don’t mean Boston airport I mean 15-20 Miles inland 

Danbury could be destroyed

Rain ova to heavy snow early

Archived