Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Does anyone have any good literature on the April 1, 1997 storm?  I was 6.  Just remember waking up to 2'.  And I've never really looked into it.

Little literature, it was just early enough the Internet didn't exist enough for much to be permanent.

Obs from a 7th grader:

March 28: Forecast for potential snow on Monday night in to Tuesday (March 31-April 1)

March 29: Forecast 3-6" Mon-Tues

March 30: 65˚ and sunny. Felt like spring. Evening forecast up to 6-12"

March 31: RA begins around 8 a.m., cold, raw. Forecast to change to snow late afternoon, 10-14". Changeover (in Newton at least) at 10:45. Lesson being that dynamics, even with April sun angle, can overcome most anything (snow accumulated through the day on Monday and then really cranked overnight). Winds E-->ENE-->NE during the day. +SN all afternoon. School canceled Mon eve (a rarity in those days to call school before the next morning). No school Tue-Wed (many streets unplowed for days, probably didn't help that lots of subs had taken off their plows for the summer), 2 hr delay Thu-Fri. Snow mostly melted by the next Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

That BOX statement about the potential coastal flooding and possible evacuations was ominous 

Blow back tides and multiple cycles, yea we rejoice about snow but damn serious sh it for some

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/etsurge/index.php?page=stn&region=ne&datum=msl&list=&map=0-48&type=both&stn=manant

55 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Oh i think that at least. I think 6" is a conservative estimate for our back yards given the analogs, and latest guidance.

48 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.

Hoo boy...

It's been nice to take a backseat to watch y'all discuss on here for once because it's a whole different ballgame up here. And life's been crazy for me lately.

Archived