March 2018 Model Discussion

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stormlover74 said:

This is the first threat and its suppressed not OTS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29.png

I think the far majority of posters here would agree that a storm that exits hard right near OBX quantifies as OTS. It's not the same as a hurricane being OTS, which was never over land in the first place.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think the far majority of posters here would agree that a storm that exits hard right near OBX quantifies as OTS. It's not the same as a hurricane being OTS, which was never over land in the first place.

6z brought accumulating snow within 20 miles of NYC. We've started threads for less than that

Also here is the 12z ggem

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_31.png

12 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

6z brought accumulating snow within 20 miles of NYC. We've started threads for less than that

Also here is the 12z ggem

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_31.png

Not for a storm that's 8+ days away. Talk to me over the weekend, if it's still there then we have something.

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Not for a storm that's 8+ days away. Talk to me over the weekend, if it's still there then we have something.

It's supposed to start next Tuesday so that's 7 days away and the media is hyping it already.  Let's see where we are at Sunday night.

If you look at the Euro for the current storm from the same point out in time vs the upcoming storm at the same point in time, was the current storm further east?

7 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

How’s the airmass? Pretty much have given up on accumulating snows in NYC in March-unless rates are really high or there an Arctic airmass.

Don't know if it's right, but the Euro op shows teens for temps in the area Tues morning. Dews in the single digits.

23 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Don't know if it's right, but the Euro op shows teens for temps in the area Tues morning. Dews in the single digits.

ah now I know why April 1982 is being used as an analog.

btw did you consider a short trip to Southampton to see their 20" of snow?

• Rjay pinned this topic

I'm surprised at the lack of discussion for next weeks storm after the 00z model runs.

I'm on board with a major hit for early next week if the block can re-establish itself. Right now the EPS and GEFS indicate some blocking in the Tuesday-Thursday time frame which coincides with our latest threat. 

The key will be to get that ridge over the NW Atlantic stronger and further SW than shown here, which will build heights along the coast and setup a confluence zone over Northern New England. Then as that upper level system tries to undercut the ridge, it will turn into a slow moving miller B. We've already seen glimpses of this scenario on the various major models.

gfs-ens_z500a_atl_31.png

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm surprised at the lack of discussion for next weeks storm after the 00z model runs.

I'm on board with a major hit for early next week if the block can re-establish itself. Right now the EPS and GEFS indicate some blocking in the Tuesday-Thursday time frame which coincides with our latest threat. 

The key will be to get that ridge over the NW Atlantic stronger and further SW than shown here, which will build heights along the coast and setup a confluence zone over Northern New England. Then as that upper level system tries to undercut the ridge, it will turn into a slow moving miller B. We've already seen glimpses of this scenario on the various major models.

gfs-ens_z500a_atl_31.png

85 I think many are gun shy and licking they're wounds after yesterday went East. We both know that they will come around soon ,,,,,keep the updates coming guys

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

85 I think many are gun shy and licking they're wounds after yesterday went East. We both know that they will come around soon ,,,,,keep the updates coming guys

The good news is that we probably won't need to worry about this storm being too far East unless the block is so strong that it keeps things suppressed. Right now I don't see that happening at all. You can see the various operational runs struggling with when to kill off that primary low in the Ohio Valley, which is why we need that block. The upside of this storm is very high IMO.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived