Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 24/25 Mixed Bag / Moderate Event. CNE NNE centric

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Hoping for some snow here Sunday to get the juices flowing for Loon Mt. trip next week. My daughter's first multi-day ski vaca. Wondering about return trip next Friday...could be dicey.

I’ll be up at cranmore next weekend. Looks great for us, timing wise, between this weekend and what’s coming later next week. Should have a solid pack with deep winter conditions.

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Elevation may be important for icing in SNE. Pretty steep lapse rate up to about 900mb. Classic elevation icing sounding down here. Usually doesn't matter up your way but down here we see it fairly frequently. 

That said, the total qpf is pretty meh so it won't be a lot of accretion but for travel purposes the icing def may be going on for hours in the hills. 

Sure, but pickles mentioned frozen.

WRF-ARW is really cold. Cold tuck is far inland due to the ENE fetch out of ME. And it never gets surface above freezing in much of CNE and virtually all of NNE before precip is out. I don’t think it’s a bad call to have the WWA in Western MA. N CT is a bit gutsy...

This is also likely another one of those events where the cold tuck trends more pronounced and further south/west inside 36hrs.

23 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

WRF-ARW is really cold. Cold tuck is far inland due to the ENE fetch out of ME. And it never gets surface above freezing in much of CNE and virtually all of NNE before precip is out. I don’t think it’s a bad call to have the WWA in Western MA. N CT is a bit gutsy...

This is also likely another one of those events where the cold tuck trends more pronounced and further south/west inside 36hrs.

I can see Albany having Lithcfield in there.   NORH, Franklin, W Hampshire and Berkshire are all easy calls, probably western Hampden as well.  As for the rest, go big and get rid of it after the 12z runs.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

50’s today. Sell the ice except on a railing or tree

Railings and trees/shrubs are mostly where ice accumulates anyway. And power lines. 

The day before the dec 2008 ice storm, I think I hit 55F. Not that this is going to be a big ice storm, but the previous days temps don't mean much if you have a dewpoint drain. 

Archived