SnowHabit
Morch Madness Negative NAO Long Range discussion

Ji

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Relax its one op run.

That block has to really retrograde sw and be a bully to overcome the crappy PAC. Need to get the trough off the west coast and the downstream ridge in a better spot. 

The crappy PAC has really been concerning to me. Not going to get concerned overall until we get into the middle of next week and there are still no signs of a storm for us.

7 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

It's Morch.

Actually for the first time I somewhat agree with you. Each day in March it gets just a tick harder.  Sure it can snow and has plenty of times but no one can argue it’s overall tougher equation.  The cold needs to be better, deeper, better location.  The block only works if it’s cold.  Or it just ends up being a slow moving rainstorm.  

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Actually for the first time I somewhat agree with you. Each day in March it gets just a tick harder.  Sure it can snow and has plenty of times but no one can argue it’s overall tougher equation.  The cold needs to be better, deeper, better location.  The block only works if it’s cold.  Or it just ends up being a slow moving rainstorm.  

Wouldn't it make sense that these storms earlier in the blocking pattern would be slow moving rainstorms, even with a decent track? IIRC, the storm a week before the (Great) Blizzard of 2016 had a good track, but was all rain regardless. Even the Blizzard of 2016 was progged as a mix mess/rain over a week out, despite having the setup perfect. If history is to be believed, then it would make sense that our best shot would be before the blocking degrades, as was the case in Jan 2016, right?

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Wouldn't it make sense that these storms earlier in the blocking pattern would be slow moving rainstorms, even with a decent track? IIRC, the storm a week before the (Great) Blizzard of 2016 had a good track, but was all rain regardless. Even the Blizzard of 2016 was progged as a mix mess/rain over a week out, despite having the setup perfect. If history is to be believed, then it would make sense that our best shot would be before the blocking degrades, as was the case in Jan 2016, right?

Right assuming the block actually holds and doesn’t morph into some zombie high presssure ridge.  Who knows..we are almost out of tricks anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

FYP

Thanks.  That’s what I meant.  I’m going to keep an open mind until the block sets up and we see where it takes us.  Might be the last stretch to track a fail.  I do love to track except maybe this year....so much promise back around 8-9 Dec...yeesh

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Thanks.  That’s what I meant.  I’m going to keep an open mind until the block sets up and we see where it takes us.  Might be the last stretch to track a fail.  I do love to track except maybe this year....so much promise back around 8-9 Dec...yeesh

No kidding. That week after with the 2 "over performing" events as well. I remember the talk of "it just wants to snow" during that time. 

Archived