Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Revs quick Flip Frozen Freakshow

Ginx snewx

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Had a sleet/rain mix shower during my run.

39.8/28

We 1-3”

same here on the way to work.  42 F tho ... which I find interesting, because that's wee-bit of a warm bust over forecaster interpretations I saw yesterday, for this morning. Never the less, low enough DPs advected in with the weakening frontal push last night to set stage for evap. cooling of falling water.  P-type algorithms (Intellicast and such..) indicate the transition is along the NY/PA boarder at this time, and it's narrow... about 20 miles wide between parachutes (most likely given the rad) and cold rain/paws... 

Saturday is interestingly setting up for a sneaky sensible gem - 

The NAM and Euro want to clean up ceilings/RH on a tepid NW flow under 900 mb temps that are +9 C...  The sun is strong enough now that azure blue sky should cook the BL toward 60 with only light winds, and should the mixing depth get deeper, you can pretty much add 2 F for every 10 mb above that... 

I continue to be impressed by the week's changeable weather.  Going from backyard thermometer type heat to the tune of almost 80 F to even mentioning sleet ..let alone snow, inside of 18 to 24 hours is not something I have ever experience quite frankly.   

I tried to quantize this against dramatic BD events in April, when lingering bone-chilling Atlantic Ocean SSTs often butts head against early continental warm spells ... winning with a percentage the Patriots could envy. The most dramatic I've witness was back in 1998.  20 years ..wow, silver anniversary of March 31st, up over the Merrimack Valley when finishing my undergrad at UML.  We were on day three of an early heat spell that defied convention to put it 'mildly'..  87, 89, 91 across the 29th, 30th and 31st. Yet, awhile mid afternoon on the 31st, there was a verrrry interesting observation on ASOS out of Caribou Maine.  It was 38 F with 47 mph wind gusts from the ENE there; at that moment, looking over my shoulder at the monitor that connected directly to the station, the temperature read 89.7 F ... The DP was 21 ... which is typical for early heat blasts that occur well prior to green-up.  This thing was slated to be particularly nasty, too.. made so much more egregious by the fact that we were through 72 hours of bath-house richness to fully suck civility into faux seasonal soothe.  I mean, talk about being set up with zero acclimation ... we were heading from 90 to 38 F ... which it did.  The next morning it dawned calm and gray, with barely a detectable mist at just 38 F.  That 24-hour juxtaposition was personally criminal to the senses ... an atrocity made evidence by the fact that college woman, fully conned by days of glory, stood huddled closely together waiting for the bus on University Ave like emperor penguins on an David Attenborough special.

I suppose by temperature alone, that would have to best this by a little.  We shaved 52 F in that 12 to 18 hours.  But, this one gets a special honorable mention for throwing freezing/frozen sky fall into the argument.  

But, should the visualization for Saturday above validate, we could be 62 or 64 F at those same backyards, in hottish sun and light winds  18z that day.  

In word... weird.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The NAM and Euro want to clean up ceilings/RH on a tepid NW flow under 900 mb temps that are +9 C...  The sun is strong enough now that azure blue sky should cook the BL toward 60 with only light winds, and should the mixing depth get deeper, you can pretty much add 2 F for every 10 mb above that... 

I continue to be impressed by the week's changeable weather.  Going from backyard thermometer type heat to the tune of almost 80 F to even mentioning sleet ..let alone snow, inside of 18 to 24 hours is not something I have ever experience quite frankly.   

I tried to quantize this against dramatic BD events in April, when lingering bone-chilling Atlantic Ocean SSTs often butts head against early continental warm spells ... and wins... The most dramatic I've witness was 1998, March 31st, up over the Merrimack Valley when finishing my undergrad at UML.  We were on day three of an early heat spell that defied convention to put it 'mildly'..  87, 89, 91 across the 29th, 30th and 31st, mid afternoon on the 31st, there was a verrrry interesting observation on ASOS out of Caribou Maine.  It was 38 F with 42 mph wind gusts from the ENE there; at that moment, looking over my shoulder at the monitor that connected directly to the station, the temperature read 89.7 F ... The DP was 21 ... which is typical for early heat blasts that occur well prior to green-up.  This thing was slated to be particularly nasty, too.. made so much more egregious by the fact that we were through 72 hours of bath-house richness to fully suck civility into faux seasonal soothe.  I mean, we're talking about going from 90 to 38 F ... which it did.  The next morning it calm and gray with barely detectable mist, and 38 F.  That 24-hour juxtaposition was personally criminal to the senses ... 

I suppose by temperature alone, that would have to best this by a little.  We shaved 52 F in that 12 to 18 hours.  But, this one gets a special honorable mention for throwing freezing/frozen sky fall into the argument.  

But, should the visualization for Saturday above validate, we could be 62 or 64 F at those same backyards, in hottish sun and light winds  18z that day.  

One of the more interesting airmass sensible weather changes we have experienced in a while. Places near 80 yesterday could have accumulating snow within a 24 hr period. Fascinating

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I tried to quantize this against dramatic BD events in April, when lingering bone-chilling Atlantic Ocean SSTs often butts head against early continental warm spells ... winning with a percentage the Patriots could envy. The most dramatic I've witness was back in 1998.  20 years ..wow, silver anniversary of March 31st, up over the Merrimack Valley when finishing my undergrad at UML.  We were on day three of an early heat spell that defied convention to put it 'mildly'..  87, 89, 91 across the 29th, 30th and 31st. Yet, awhile mid afternoon on the 31st, there was a verrrry interesting observation on ASOS out of Caribou Maine.  It was 38 F with 47 mph wind gusts from the ENE there; at that moment, looking over my shoulder at the monitor that connected directly to the station, the temperature read 89.7 F ... The DP was 21 ... which is typical for early heat blasts that occur well prior to green-up.  This thing was slated to be particularly nasty, too.. made so much more egregious by the fact that we were through 72 hours of bath-house richness to fully suck civility into faux seasonal soothe.  I mean, talk about being set up with zero acclimation ... we were heading from 90 to 38 F ... which it did.  The next morning it dawned calm and gray, with barely a detectable mist at just 38 F.  That 24-hour juxtaposition was personally criminal to the senses ... an atrocity made evidence by the fact that college woman, fully conned by days of glory, stood huddled closely together waiting for the bus on University Ave like emperor penguins on an David Attenborough special.

In word... weird.

Hmmm 60 on Sat? Where...?

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A sleet burst for a few minutes.  Temp here holding at 36

Tip was mentioning models being overzealous with getting the cold in, and that def is apparent so far.

Part of the getting the cold in, is wetbulbing as the precip moves in. Once that happens, you'll drop easily below 32.

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A sleet burst for a few minutes.  Temp here holding at 36

Tip was mentioning models being overzealous with getting the cold in, and that def is apparent so far.

Heh, not really what I said...  

"...that's wee-bit of a warm bust over forecaster interpretations I saw yesterday, ..."  Specifically, I saw/heard several media sources say mid 30s by dawn and from the obs I saw that appeared to be too low for eastern zones. 

I didn't honestly look at the discrete thermal layout of the various guidance' yesterday, wrt to this cold intrusion today. I was too pre-occupied by the magnificent record warmth, which is far and a way the bigger news story this week.  For me anyway... 

Archived