• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
What's your favorite <2" snow event?

Cobalt

While small snow events are easily forgettable, some of us remember certain events for certain reasons. What's your favorite small scale snow event? Doesn't have to be below 2", it just has to be a small total. Inspired by today's event, since I really enjoyed it. I'll start. 

1. Feb 2015 snow squall (before Presidents Day). 1" of snow in 15 minutes absolutely insane, the start of a great 3 week stretch. 

2. Feb 17th, 2018 snow event. 70 degrees, to heavy snow in 2 days. Insane that roads caved too. 1.5" of snow. Very low ratio (somewhere near 4:1 or 5:1)

3. Commuteageddon II, Jan 20th 2016. Over performing snow system that cancelled school. Really glad it did, because I couldn't focus due to the imminent blizzard. I lucked out! 1" of snow here, but it's impact was pretty insane

3 hours ago, WVclimo said:

12/16/2010 was a cold snow that totaled 1.4" here with temps in the teens.  Daytime event that really had a big impact on the roads with the cold temps.  I also happened to get married that day which made the small snowfall more memorable.

I think I remember that storm. Only time ever I've been let home from school early due to snow. Not sure if it was a surprise or something, but it was quite the treat, since that day was the last day before winter break. Had an awesome sledding day. Should've added that one 

I'm going with the same event that Chill mentioned above...Feb. 14, 2015.  Arctic front went through late day that Saturday, and we got a squall that dumped ~2" where I'm at in less than an hour.  Really cool!  That was followed by a blast of cold on strong, gusty winds that went on well into Sunday and temperatures were in the low 20s much of the time, or there about.  It also was the event that ushered in a great 4 week period of winter, salvaging the winter of 2014-15.

Here's a couple of photos I took...first one during the snow, and the second one sometime afterward (trees were all encased in snow):

Snow_20150214_1.thumb.JPG.08bc555b09f63bd4b66f4abf2f514b5a.JPG

Snow_20150214_2.thumb.JPG.3f8de94add43e21a44d8fbb7432d5e79.JPG

10 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

@Cobalt

Oh I’ve already gotten in those arguments with people for years, look it up. “It can’t snow in March or April because sun angle” blah blah. Bunch of idiots. I don’t bother anymore. LOL

I remember seeing a picture of a big snowstorm in Boston in late April or early May in the 80s or something like that. Goes to show that rates > sun angle any day 

14 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

12/24/2012

And no other event need apply... for obvious reasons.  2" of unexpected snow for a White Christmas Eve/Christmas.  My oldest daughter's first Christmas.  And for once, Stephens City was the jackpot.  

j8UTY.jpg

The snow events in the desert are a special kind of thing

Montana today

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Ground blizzard expected. Winds gusting as high as 60
  mph will cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant
  drifting of the snow is likely. Total snow accumulations of up
  to two inches are expected over the mountains.

Archived