• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 19-24 Heavy rain and flooding threat

Indystorm

ILN expands flood watch up to I-70 including Dayton and Columbus.

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
321 PM EST Thu Feb 22 2018

...MULTIPLE ROUNDS OF HEAVY RAINFALL EXPECTED INTO THE WEEKEND...

INZ050-058-059-OHZ053>056-060>062-230500-
/O.EXA.KILN.FA.A.0003.000000T0000Z-180225T1500Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Wayne-Fayette IN-Union IN-Clark-Madison-Franklin OH-Licking-
Preble-Montgomery-Greene-
Including the cities of Richmond, Connersville, Liberty,
West College Corner, Springfield, London, West Jefferson,
Plain City, Columbus, Newark, Eaton, Camden, Dayton, Kettering,
Beavercreek, Fairborn, and Xenia
321 PM EST Thu Feb 22 2018

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Wilmington has expanded the

* Flood Watch to include portions of East Central Indiana and
  Ohio, including the following areas, in East Central Indiana,
  Fayette IN, Union IN, and Wayne. In Ohio, Clark, Franklin OH,
  Greene, Licking, Madison, Montgomery, and Preble.

* Through Sunday morning

* Multiple rounds of heavy rainfall will move across the region
  tonight through Sunday morning. Total rainfall amounts through
  Sunday morning are expected to be in the 3 to 5 inch range.

* Excessive rainfall will cause local rivers, creeks, and
  streams to rise. Those near streams and rivers should be
  especially cautious as streams and rivers can rise quickly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Battle Creek river is flooding here. First time i have seen it flood since moving here 12 yrs ago.. Kalamazoo area expecting some of the worst flooding it has ever seen. They are telling people to stay off the roads on Saturday as that is when the worst flooding is expected..

I'll see if i can nab a few pics tomorrow..

We got 4.03" inches of rain..

21Feb2018_2day_RECORDrainfall.png

N. Indiana/SW Mich. also experiencing substantial flooding...in fact, probably the worst in recorded history in South Bend.  St. Joe River surpassed the previous record by more than 2 feet.

In general, the area isn't all that prone to devastating river flooding, but having grown up there, some of the images I've seen are really pretty hard to fathom.  I guess that will happen when 30 inches of snow in the first half of the month, is followed by nearly 6 inches of rain.

34 minutes ago, nokywx said:

N. Indiana/SW Mich. also experiencing substantial flooding...in fact, probably the worst in recorded history in South Bend.  St. Joe River surpassed the previous record by more than 2 feet.

In general, the area isn't all that prone to devastating river flooding, but having grown up there, some of the images I've seen are really pretty hard to fathom.  I guess that will happen when 30 inches of snow in the first half of the month, is followed by nearly 6 inches of rain.

I saw where they were saying it was greater than a 1 in 100 year flood in South Bend, perhaps even 1 in 500 years.

I also read from NWI Times that the northbound lanes of U.S. 41 over the Kankakee at the Newton-Lake county line were closed because the river was overtopping the lanes as of Thursday evening. That is quite a major thoroughfare.  I am beginning to get concerned for central and southern IN especially along the Ohio Valley with rain from now through Saturday night in the forecast.

31 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

I also read from NWI Times that the northbound lanes of U.S. 41 over the Kankakee at the Newton-Lake county line were closed because the river was overtopping the lanes as of Thursday evening. That is quite a major thoroughfare.  I am beginning to get concerned for central and southern IN especially along the Ohio Valley with rain from now through Saturday night in the forecast.

Not surprising at all.  I have driven through there and the water was almost onto the road when the river was at a lower level.

It's at record level at Shelby

slbi3_hg.png.b60549a0c7786162b0691b27d7298e5a.png

I've personally never seen the Kankakee River so high, in town by the dam...it is lapping against the Washington Street bridge. And in Iroquois County, the town of Watseka is experiencing its worst flood since the winter of 2007-08. Very dire situation there. And this all after some intense floods in recent years (2015-2017) due to historic summer rainfall events/totals. Pretty incredible. And heavy rain looking more and more likely for tomorrow for Iroquois and Kankakee counties. These areas really can't catch a break. Drought never sounded better...

Oh oh. This episode of rain is looking like it is setting up the heaviest axis overhead. We had been lucky to this point. Two *days* ago the axis was northwest. The other *day* the axis was southeast. Now it might be time to pay the piper. I hope it moves one direction or the other. With the little rain from the other episodes having already primed the ground by filling it up, any more intense stuff is all going to be run-off. It could get nasty right quick.

Archived