Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 19-24 Heavy rain and flooding threat

Indystorm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice soaking rains most of the day today.  Was pretty chilly with temps in the 30s as it fell.  Picked up 1.53" since last night.  The temp is down to 31 now, but it's only sprinkling occasionally now. 

Any sign of anything freezing on surfaces yet?

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Not yet.  Even with temps sub 40 all day it may have to go a few degrees below freezing to get these wet surfaces to freeze.  

Yeah we'll see.  There will be cover of darkness now though so perhaps areas farther east where precip occurs will start freezing a bit more quickly after dropping below freezing.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah we'll see.  There will be cover of darkness now though so perhaps areas farther east where precip occurs will start freezing a bit more quickly after dropping below freezing.

True.  I think if it were raining here now it would probably be freezing on elevated objects, like trees/powerlines etc.  Just get a sense it may take the ground a bit longer to cool off for some reason.

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundingclimo/

Click DTX's star, it should default on PWAT, and it goes back to 1948 for in the area, they moved around a bit through the years.

DTX.gif

1.33 PWAT this morning.

Wow cool I never saw that before. 

36 hour rain total 1.71" imby thru 6pm. Snow all gone though piles do remain in pretty much every parking lot. I have small piles left but it's sickening to see how massive they were 1 week ago. Ponding of water but honestly I feared much worse.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Lincoln IL
716 PM CST TUE FEB 20 2018

The National Weather Service in Lincoln has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Moultrie County in central Illinois...
  Piatt County in central Illinois...
  De Witt County in central Illinois...
  Vermilion County in east central Illinois...
  McLean County in central Illinois...
  Champaign County in east central Illinois...
  Douglas County in east central Illinois...

* Until 115 AM CST

* At 715 PM CST, trained weather spotters reported, and Dopplar
  Radar indicated, heavy rain across the warned area. Up to two to
  three inches of rain have already fallen. An additional inch of
  rain will be possible. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Champaign, Bloomington, Danville, Rantoul, Clinton, Monticello,
  Tuscola, Sullivan, Normal, Urbana, Savoy, Mahomet, Hoopeston, St.
  Joseph, Le Roy, Tolono, Westville, Arcola, Heyworth and Tilton.

This includes the following highways...
 Interstate 39 between mile markers 0 and 3.
 Interstate 55 between mile markers 147 and 178, and near mile marker
 Interstate 57 between mile markers 203 and 257.
 Interstate 72 between mile markers 157 and 182.
 Interstate 74 between mile markers 125 and 220.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Freezing line closing in on I-55.

Temp just dropped to 32 here, but it’s been raining hard enough at the moment to avoid any accretion. Hi res models continue spitting out some decent frz rain accumulations tonight, will be interesting to see how things pan out, especially if roads are able to ice up later on. 

This is also the 2nd heaviest calendar day precip in the month of February...

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1243 AM CST WED FEB 21 2018

$$

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT CHICAGO-OHARE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.10 INCHES WAS SET AT CHICAGO-OHARE
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.16 SET IN 2014.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
516 AM CST WED FEB 21 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0505 AM     HEAVY RAIN       MOUNT ZION              39.78N 88.88W
02/21/2018  M4.10 INCH       MACON              IL   MESONET

48 HOUR RAINFALL TOTAL

We've been spared the extremely heavy precip so far.  As with the storm tracks most of the winter they've been splitting just to our north and just to our south.  I tried to get an unscientific ground temp measurement.  Their is a freezing level and some pretty hard ground around 4-6 inches deep (below my beloved mud).  Don't know how accurate it is but does raise some concerns with any freezing precip tonight.  Don't think it will take much to get hard surfaces down to freezing, especially roadways where the road beds are significantly deeper, if temps get down to 30 or a little below.  I haven't seen any salt trucks and KIND just issued a WWA (2017/18 the WWA winter lol).  Hope it doesn't turn out like the event in January when they didn't treat the roads and all heck broke loose with the sleet and black ice! 

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

We've been spared the extremely heavy precip so far.  As with the storm tracks most of the winter they've been splitting just to our north and just to our south.  I tried to get an unscientific ground temp measurement.  Their is a freezing level and some pretty hard ground around 4-6 inches deep (below my beloved mud).  Don't know how accurate it is but does raise some concerns with any freezing precip tonight.  Don't think it will take much to get hard surfaces down to freezing, especially roadways where the road beds are significantly deeper, if temps get down to 30 or a little below.  I haven't seen any salt trucks and KIND just issued a WWA (2017/18 the WWA winter lol).  Hope it doesn't turn out like the event in January when they didn't treat the roads and all heck broke loose with the sleet and black ice! 

Ya, my car is in the body shop now with some minor damage repair because of that Jan. 24 ice skating event.  Good luck in your area tonight.  I am concerned about the 2-3 inch rains we might have in our central IN area this coming weekend with a rather intense system.

Yep, that was one of the worst black ice events I have witnessed.  Even though we've been a bit spared on the rain so far it's not going to take much this weekend to get some major flooding in central In. from the looks of the rivers and creeks today, especially as the overflow from the north works it's way down here by then.  I brought up the road beds because I was talking to a friend from college whose now a civil engineer for a company that lays highways and interstates.  He said some of the base layers of roads can be as much as 3 feet deep.  With the bitter cold we experienced last month I would think it would take a little more than a week or so of above freezing days along with one crazy warm day to really warm the layers that deep.  Temps will conduct much quicker through layers of concrete, gravel etc than through the ground due to the density I would imagine.  Just a thought as to how roads can freeze much faster than the surrounding ground during a brief warmup and surprise a lot of folks. 

Archived