Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow/Slop Storm 2/17-18 Obs

jm1220

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Oh man, tough break. I thought you would have at least gotten something after it flipped to all snow here.

I measured 1.1" from this event. That brings my seasonal total to 30.6".

Wound up with 3" here on the deck, around 2" on the grass, and zippo on the blacktop driveway.   Felt like a spring event.

4 minutes ago, ag3 said:

South shores of NYC and LI were 1”-3”.

North shores of NYC and LI (not including eastern LI) were 3”-6”.

Classic 2008-2009 type rain/snow line.

Rain didn’t cut my accums down much. 90% of it for me was snow. We only really had heavy precip for 2 hours, so only that much could accumulate. The initial stuff that pounded northern NYC and suburbs missed this area. 

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Rain didn’t cut my accums down much. 90% of it for me was snow. We only really had heavy precip for 2 hours, so only that much could accumulate. The initial stuff that pounded northern NYC and suburbs missed this area. 

Surface temp was 1-2 degrees higher on south shore for hours in the event. As soon as precip hit my area of Northern Queens, it was accumulating snow and temperature dropped immediately to 32-32.5 degrees.

13 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Surface temp was 1-2 degrees higher on south shore for hours in the event. As soon as precip hit my area of Northern Queens, it was accumulating snow and temperature dropped immediately to 32-32.5 degrees.

Yuo.  I thought that was the real issue here too.  

I got outside about 4 hours after it finished snowing (hard enough to accumulate) and had just over 8". The snow was definitely starting to compact on the warm ground already and the lowest layer was pure slush but was still fluffy on top of two of our cars where it measured a little over 9". Great storm considering it didn't start in earnest until a bit after 5 and was pretty much done by 11. 

When is the next one :snowing:

Just now, gravitylover said:

I got outside about 4 hours after it finished snowing (hard enough to accumulate) and had just over 8". The snow was definitely starting to compact on the warm ground already and the lowest layer was pure slush but was still fluffy on top of two of our cars where it measured a little over 9". Great storm considering it didn't start in earnest until a bit after 5 and was pretty much done by 11. 

When is the next one :snowing:

How was the drive to NH? 

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

How was the drive to NH? 

Only got partway before the truck decided to have Chrysler electrical gremlins ruin the trip. The ride from here to Holyoke was great, roads were pretty much just wet (which prompted the problem :( ). Snow depth ranged from the high by my area to a low of what looked like 4-5" just west of Hartford then picked back up from the CT River valley up through Springfield before starting to drop off again. Took the long slow way home instead of risking it on the interstates and it seemed to be pretty consistent through the CT hill country along Rt 202 at ~5-6". I'm so bummed we didn't make it up there, the pictures of the fat bike trails this morning were great.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:38 AM, ag3 said:

That’s actually not true. The wantagh mesonet illustrates it perfectly. When we got in to the heavy precip the temp pegged at 32. I wound up with 3”. 

When I returned home from the city yesterday morning there were big differences. In the city all the snow had fallen off or melted off the trees and the snow was pure slop. At home the trees were still covered and even had a little ice. The snow was crusted over on top. This verifys that temps in the city despite more snow were warmer 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 12:05 AM, jm1220 said:

Back to rain but light. 

2.5 is what I’ll go with. Puts me at 27.8” for the season. A little higher than the last call I had last night, but a lot better than I thought this afternoon. 

On 2/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Really interesting. I have been watching the wantagh mesonet cam since it’s less then a mile from my house and it remained all snow with a temp of 32. 

Just to put a bow on that event, we had about 3" here, stayed all snow, although it was a very wet snow, and now edging close to 30" of snowfall for the season (hard to believe with how warm it's been) and I think all our local airports are finally above 20" which is nice to see.

Archived