Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow/Slop Storm 2/17-18 Obs

jm1220

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Back to rain but light. 

2.5 is what I’ll go with. Puts me at 27.8” for the season. A little higher than the last call I had last night, but a lot better than I thought this afternoon. 

I'm sticking with 1.5" although I'm probably too low.  

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Really interesting. I have been watching the wantagh mesonet cam since it’s less then a mile from my house and it remained all snow with a temp of 32. 

It mixed with sleet for like 20 mins lol.

The temps were above freezing and the snow was so dense that it didn't really pile up here. 

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

I'm sticking with 1.5" although I'm probably too low.  

I measured 2.3” in my yard around when it changed to rain. Maybe that’s what I should go with? I figure I lost some from compacting and melting along the way. I don’t measure on a board. We really pounded for a good 90 minutes before the brief changeover. 

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

It mixed with sleet for like 20 mins lol.

The temps were above freezing and the snow was so dense that it didn't really pile up here. 

This is what’s wiled. The wantagh mesonet pegged at 32.2 and stayed there all night. The trees in the cam pic look perfectly coated. While here on the UWS it’s a sloppy mess and most of the snow has fallen off or melted off the trees. We got to 4” and couldn’t get past it

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This is what’s wiled. The wantagh mesonet pegged at 32.2 and stayed there all night. The trees in the cam pic look perfectly coated. While here on the UWS it’s a sloppy mess and most of the snow has fallen off or melted off the trees. We got to 4” and couldn’t get past it

I was at 32.4 most of the night.  

I had 2.5" on the car top, 1.5" on the grass and ~.75 on the pavement.    No snowboard.   

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I measured 2.3” in my yard around when it changed to rain. Maybe that’s what I should go with? I figure I lost some from compacting and melting along the way. I don’t measure on a board. We really pounded for a good 90 minutes before the brief changeover. 

I don't use a board.   I wish I had one for this event.  It really compacted here.

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I had 2.5" on the car top, 1.5" on the grass and ~.75 on the pavement.    No snowboard.   

The best way would be from what you measured on the car top. That to me would be the best analog to a board. I didn’t measure from a car top but I don’t think it would’ve added much. The grass and cars started accumulating at the same time here.

Now back to all light snow. :lol:

6 hours ago, Rjay said:

..not bad Rjay...zero,nada,nothing here in Eastport..'event' was all rain, occasionally mixed w/ a couple of 

flakes..really sharp cutoff..looks like Riverhead even had a inch or two..

Archived