• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Annual Countdown to May 1st Thread ©

weatherwiz

It's hard to believe but severe weather season is quickly approaching and it's about that time of year where we seriously have to start looking into how active of a season we may have upon us. The past few years have been on the weak side, however, we have had a few solid events but we have definitely entered into a lull period. Hopefully that will change this upcoming season and things will be rather active. As per usual, this thread can be used to discuss long-range patterns and how the overall northern hemispheric pattern will shape up as we move into the spring and summer months. It's hard to believe but the June 1st tornado outbreak will have happened 7 years ago this June 1st...insane how time flies. As of this thread, the countdown begins at 74 days!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Waiting until late-April before I start looking toward the Plains. Hoping to take a week or two off to go chasing this May. Right now, though, the pattern isn't promising for the month of April. Hopefully an inactive spring will give us an active May/June?

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread.

Unfortunately, for chasers that is, there's not much going on in 2018 so far. It's likely the rest of April will not have much thanks to the East Coast troughing and signals are not favorable into early May.

I'm not optimistic that I'll go out to Great Plains next month because of this pattern. Might have to sit this year out and use my travel money on an oversea trip instead.

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Where are you working?

A company called Periship in Branford, CT.  I'll be provided weather forecasts in which they will pass along to their shippers across the country. This will include forecasts for ground transportation as well as aviation. It is part-time for now but once I finish school in the fall if everything goes well this could become full-time and a career job! I'm super excited for this opportunity. 

I don't think you can ever rule out single-day threats in May. In fact, this Friday appears chaseable if you're local to eastern Plains. There's always something going on. I'm just not sure we can buy multi-day threats that's worth traveling across the country for. Not willing to waste my hard-earned money and vacation time to travel for 2 days each way only to have one threat. I love chasing, but I'm also a big travel guy and I want to see what's there across the pond :P

4 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I don't think you can ever rule out single-day threats in May. In fact, this Friday appears chaseable if you're local to eastern Plains. There's always something going on. I'm just not sure we can buy multi-day threats that's worth traveling across the country for. Not willing to waste my hard-earned money and vacation time to travel for 2 days each way only to have one threat. I love chasing, but I'm also a big travel guy and I want to see what's there across the pond :P

yeah sometimes those single day threats not only sort of sneak up but can produce quite well 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I may be going chasing Thursday. Was thinking NY or PA but maybe southern VT or southern NH could be a good spot

If you check out the 3 KM NAM it plots a long tracked SC from N of ALB to the NH coast from 18 or 19 z through 23 z on Thursday - 

57 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If you check out the 3 KM NAM it plots a long tracked SC from N of ALB to the NH coast from 18 or 19 z through 23 z on Thursday - 

That did intrigued me and something which is feasibly possible. Decent boundary in that vicinity with good overlap of CAPE/shear and solid lapse rates.

A belt of strong westerly flow will encompass much of the Northeast.
   Models show moisture increasing during the day with lower 60s
   dewpoints coincident with a destabilizing boundary layer.  Models
   show upwards of 1000-1500 J/kg SBCAPE developing across portions of
   southern New England.  Although forcing for ascent is not
   particularly strong, weak perturbations embedded within the flow,
   coupled with daytime heating, will aid in storm development. 
   Forecast soundings show steep low-level lapse rates and 30-40 kt
   flow in the 2-3 km layer.  A mixture of cells and small clusters
   will potentially be capable of wind damage during the day as storms
   move from west to east.

My experience is that low and ml lapse rates are almost as important as the combination of CAPE/forcing and that aspect has been modeled pretty persistently.  

Archived