Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
PD3.5 Lite Obs and Nowcasting

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If we didn't have those 5 hours of nuclear sun today I think a lot of folks would've gotten 3" - 5".

DCA claims it got .42 in precip, but only about .23 of that was listed as snow (actually quite a bit of sleet).  So I believe DCA measuring 0.2 snow.

At 100 feet here in Arlington, I got a cartopping of sleet, but it looks like the follow-on rain washed that away.  DCA stayed at 34 during the snow/sleet part, but sometimes I go out at that temperature and find slick spots.

So I believe the measurement of 1.0, map showing it as Grace Hopper Park.  (possibly grass/decorator snow).

5 hours ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Jeb  are you saying you got toasted  at CT and sleep thru a 30-90 minute pounding?

Sad, but true.

At least I won over 200 dollars at a dollar slot. I got a good fix on Rt 9 tonight though, at least 2 inches of snow there. Rt 9 was an absolute winter wonderland! Everything was plastered in beautiful wet snow! The trees looked spectacular in snow!

When you go to another location to get your snow fix, what happens is that you feel as though you had the amount of snow that you experienced there. I know I got a half inch of sleet in Dale City, that was mostly melted by 6am Sunday lol. But it FEELS AS THOUGH I EXPERIENCED A 2 INCH SNOWSTORM. I was there! I jebwalked in it, I even rolled in it and got soaked lmao!  It was dark and 3am, I am sure no one saw me lol.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Get you kicks with the snow this morning as it'll all be gone by afternoon

Yeah folks - Get out and sled in it, take jebwalks while it lasts! It is going to warm up and stay that way for a few days as we go to a (temporary) very frigid West/very warm/humid East alignment. Get your fixes NOW! Call in sick at work --- and go enjoy the snow! You will find it, the farther northwest you travel on Rt 28, the better it will be! Rt 7 still has good snow and Rt 9 is an absolute winter wonderland! CharlesTown has an inch. But it wont last long with that warm weather coming!

Get out and enjoy it! It's definitely sleddable along Rt 9!

BWI reported 2.2" total.  Haven't seen an updated mark for IAD.  Lol at DCA's 0.2".  

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=LWX

Heaviest snow axis was Loudon-MoCo-HoCo-Baltimore city area-southern Harford with 2-4" in that zone.  May the Rockville-Columbia deathband never leave us again.  

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

BWI reported 2.2" total.  Haven't seen an updated mark for IAD.  Lol at DCA's 0.2".  

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=LWX

Where is that link on the NWS page? I tried the storm report link at the bottom and it has a single report.

Edit:  Ohhhh....

I see it. Duh.

The ICON stuck with the basic idea of a widespread 1-3" all week, with relatively minor fluctuations.  Looks like it was right.

96suhnQ.png

I like that the ICON calculates its own ratios, taking some of the guesswork out of figuring out whether we should use Kuchera, snow depth, etc.

Just back from Gettysburg. Fun little event there. Got in a good hike before the snow hit. Didn't see an official report, but eyeballing it was close to 3".

Got home to some patchy snow here and there with temps in the mid 40s. Since I wasn't here I will go with the CoCoRaHS report from 1 mile east of Greensboro for my yard. I am 2 miles or so NW, so very close. That report was 1.2", but I will just go with an even 1" for here.

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't think it's deniable that the euro destroyed all guidance with this event. Doesn't mean it will happen with future events but with this particular one....job well done. 

ICON did pretty well too.  Picked up the storm about as soon as it was in range and never lost it. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived