• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That pretty much agrees with my thinking. Just because the NWS issued a watch for 4-7" doesn't mean that's what's going to fall. That's why they issue watches and don't jump straight to warnings when possible. 

They are first and foremost tasked with protecting life; that's why there are often watches to advisories.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s probably going to be an event where NYC gets 4-5 but 1/2 mile away it’s slush and LGA and JFK report 1 inch but someone in Flushing or Woodmere in their backyards get 5

I am in Woodmere (going on 15 yrs) and I can assure in these events where thermal profiles rule...we get nada. North Shore of Nassau Cty will be do much better than Woodmere

1 minute ago, North and West said:

They are first and foremost tasked with protecting life; that's why there are often watches to advisories.

Upton may also be nervous that the last decade we’ve had a tendency to see juicier storms and higher precipitation rates than anticipated more often than not.  The end result has been many storms where forecasts bought into a boundary layer being too warm that busted.  Both the early fall snow events in 11 and 12 saw this occur and a few others which I can’t even remember.   

I wouldn’t trust anything but hi-res models for this event. Globals look wayyy different than the mesos because they are having trouble with the boundary layer and dynamic cooling which is the whole driver of this event. Look how drastic the hi res NAMS and the HRDPS are with the rain snow line and rates. That should be a huge red flag. In the end the rates will win out. 

47 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

I am in Woodmere (going on 15 yrs) and I can assure in these events where thermal profiles rule...we get nada. North Shore of Nassau Cty will be do much better than Woodmere

Hard for me to think of a time where the city had very little because of temps and I had more. This time the bad thermals will be due to southerly winds, so for us I doubt there will be much unless the rates are good. Chances are I end up with an inch of slush on the grass and cars which will be gone a few hours later. Places like Huntington and Smithtown will almost certainly do better. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Hard for me to think of a time where the city had very little because of temps and I had more. This time the bad thermals will be due to southerly winds, so for us I doubt there will be much unless the rates are good. Chances are I end up with an inch of slush on the grass and cars which will be gone a few hours later. Places like Huntington and Smithtown will almost certainly do better. 

I was speaking more for I-95 with my post. The immediate coast line will have major issues. Probably 1-3” of slop.

26 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There was that event in April 96 where the island got crushed and the city had little due to rain. Rare but possible. I don’t think that’s this event though. Where ever the heaviest banding sets up will win regardless of location

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

So we have the Euro joining the NAM with a southward shift in the heaviest snow today.

ecmwf_tsnow_nj_9.thumb.png.86f31b5a48f78e7ac6ebf4004f903055.png

Obviously it’s a good step in the right direction, but I’ll believe 5-6” of snow here with these prior conditions when I see it. We really need the heavy rates where we are. It’s good that it’s happening at night at least. 

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I like this call. 

only problem with that call is most of the 12Z guidance still supports the idea of 3 -6 across the entire area which indicates WSW stay in effect at least till tomorrow early AM then the decision to issue either WWA or WSW will be made

10 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

only problem with that call is most of the 12Z guidance still supports the idea of 3 -6 across the entire area which indicates WSW stay in effect at least till tomorrow early AM then the decision to issue either WWA or WSW will be made

And as of now I'm going against most of the guidance.  There's still time for me to adjust my thoughts.  

I don't think (almost) anyone reaches warning criteria. I mean there could be isolated 6" amounts NW of the city and into central CT.

23 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Obviously it’s a good step in the right direction, but I’ll believe 5-6” of snow here with these prior conditions when I see it. We really need the heavy rates where we are. It’s good that it’s happening at night at least. 

We had a storm like the Euro is showing back in the 90's. While I can't remember the date, it was on a Sunday night. Temps bumped up to near 40 during the day and I believe the forecast was for rain. But evap cooling took over with heavy wet snow and we picked up a surprise 6"+ in Long Beach.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We had a storm like the Euro is showing back in the 90's. While I can't remember the date, it was on a Sunday night. Temps bumped up to near 40 during the day and I believe the forecast was for rain. But evap cooling took over with heavy wet snow and we picked up a surprise 6"+ in Long Beach.

I believe it was March 14-15 of 1999

8 minutes ago, Rjay said:

And as of now I'm going against most of the guidance.  There's still time for me to adjust my thoughts.  

I don't think (almost) anyone reaches warning criteria. I mean there could be isolated 6" amounts NW of the city and into central CT.

Too fast moving and a half inch or so liquid will probably do it so even at 10:1 5-6" looks like the ceiling

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

March 99.  The NWS and models actually did a decent job forecasting that but they panicked when it was like 48/35 at 4pm and raining and pulled most of the headlines.  It was a much more dynamic setup than this but this setup has a better air mass in place for sure  

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived