Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Just never seen that type of gradient ever on this kind of track.  If it happens it certainly will be a first without a mid level low center tracking overhead  

It looks like 925mb temps go above freezing for awhile over most of Long Island. That combined with a torched BL where the 40 degree isotherm is just offshore.

Notice how the winds are Southeasterly too at the surface but more Northerly at 850mb

rgem_mslp_wind_neus_17.png

rgem_mslp_uv850_neus_17.png

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It looks like 925mb temps go above freezing for awhile over most of Long Island. That combined with a torched BL where the 40 degree isotherm is just offshore.

Notice how the winds are Southeasterly too at the surface but more Northerly at 850mb

rgem_mslp_wind_neus_17.png

rgem_mslp_uv850_neus_17.png

The 12Km NAM which I’ve found has been good all winter seems to show the same gradient where LGA and NYC are almost all snow while FRG is virtually all rain.  Even JFK looks to be mostly snow

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The 12Km NAM which I’ve found has been good all winter seems to show the same gradient where LGA and NYC are almost all snow while FRG is virtually all rain.  Even JFK looks to be mostly snow

The NAM has a stronger SLP so maybe dynamic cooling is taking place. I weighted the 12z RGEM heavily in my snowfall map.

The probability that a single model (GFS) is very wrong 6-9 hours before the onset of a storm is far higher than the probability that essentially every other model (GGEM, RGEM, NAM, ECMWF) are very wrong. I continue to believe that the GFS should be discounted. The higher resolution guidance should have a better handle on the soundings than the GFS. We will see soon enough.
You mean disregard the model that is playing into its known bias' and is less useful for this type of event? *blink blink* but why?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Even on the day of? Pretty crazy to me. Either it scores an big coup or it is yet another confirmation of how god awful this model can be.

The issue here is that the higher resolution models are more useful for this particular set up. Likewise, it is normally understood that the GFS tends to have a warmer bias.

In this situation, the higher resolution models are going to be able to see the Cold air 'better' than a global such as the GFS which has much lower resolution. Thus this is why, I believe, the Euro is also much colder, better resolution.

For the record, the GFS has many times shown nothing but rain for an event when several inches of snow has already accumulated. This is why meteorology is about understanding the physics of the atmosphere. From here a meteorologist can pick and parse the reasoning of the various models, thus finding what they perceive to be the issues within each model output forecast. The GFS is not too shabby for some forecasts, this particular set up is jot one of them however.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

The issue here is that the higher resolution models are more useful for this particular set up. Likewise, it is normally understood that the GFS tends to have a warmer bias.

In this situation, the higher resolution models are going to be able to see the Cold air 'better' than a global such as the GFS which has much lower resolution. Thus this is why, I believe, the Euro is also much colder, better resolution.

For the record, the GFS has many times shown nothing but rain for an event when several inches of snow has already accumulated. This is why meteorology is about understanding the physics of the atmosphere. From here a meteorologist can pick and parse the reasoning of the various models, thus finding what they perceive to be the issues within each model output forecast. The GFS is not too shabby for some forecasts, this particular set up is jot one of them however.

Thanks for the answer. I do realize it’s resolution isn’t too high but really thought that it would start coming around - at least at less than 12 hours to game time!

Looks like the 12z UKMET is above freezing at the surface, peaking around +3-4C around 00z tonight with a gradual cooling back down to about +2C by 12z Sunday. That would probably be mostly rain or a mix of rain and snow with surface temperatures in the upper 30's in New York City. 

Can't post the picture because it's showing the 2/16 12z run but the link is below.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/meteogram.php?lang=en&map=us&run=12&mod=ukmet&var=std

12 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Looks like the 12z UKMET is above freezing at the surface, peaking around +3-4C around 00z tonight with a gradual cooling back down to about +2C by 12z Sunday. That would probably be mostly rain or a mix of rain and snow with surface temperatures in the upper 30's in New York City. 

Can't post the picture because it's showing the 2/16 12z run but the link is below.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/meteogram.php?lang=en&map=us&run=12&mod=ukmet&var=std

Confusing as to why the NWS just extended the WSW at 1130 given the 12z guidance its out. Could it be that the heavy precip cools the surface or just the heavy rates?

In 1995 we had a large snowstorm and in Norwalk CT we accumulated 12 inches with a temp of 35 degrees! Stuck to everything.

22 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Confusing as to why the NWS just extended the WSW at 1130 given the 12z guidance its out. Could it be that the heavy precip cools the surface or just the heavy rates?

In 1995 we had a large snowstorm and in Norwalk CT we accumulated 12 inches with a temp of 35 degrees! Stuck to everything.

Upton isn’t buying the warmer solutions away from the immediate coastline

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived