Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Even on a Sunday? Lots of people off Mon and the snow will be gone by Tues...I guess a contract's a contract, but I don't intend to bother with clean up at home unless we top 5 inches. Won't need to.

When your in the biz you do it even if it’s christmas morning. 

I’ll do a first call for you. CPK 4” JFK 3”. EWR 4”. ISP 4”

34 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

How far NW?

These bumps NW are to be expected close in to the event, it’s almost like clockwork. Seeing the New England forum happy probably isn’t good for us down here around NYC. The RPM is sucky in general but it’s been favoring SNE for a while. Won’t take much more of a bump for mid level warmth to be a problem and for it to become an inland centered storm. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

These bumps NW are to be expected close in to the event, it’s almost like clockwork. Seeing the New England forum happy probably isn’t good for us down here around NYC. The RPM is sucky in general but it’s been favoring SNE for a while. Won’t take much more of a bump for mid level warmth to be a problem and for it to become an inland centered storm. 

Who cares what they think. Upton is looking good now since the models are now showing what they are showing.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

What bothers me is that SE wind. We're being told it will be too calm to matter. If its that calm it isn't a wind at all. Been in SE winds enough at sea to know that even a light one sucks, and its usually stronger than forecast, as in hey we are getting our butts kicked at the Mud Buoy in this "light" SE wind.....

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Who cares what they think. Upton is looking good now since the models are now showing what they are showing.

All those PhDs have to be right some times. The last time I saw them get really burned was feb 08 with the heavy snow warning for the coast. I stayed up all night watching the rain fall hoping the change was coming and it never did. Zero, not one flake so that beats even Jan 15 for us. That’s still a distinct possibility, though I would say around 10% or less

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Not really worried about mid-level temps TBH. only question is BL, how much warm air works in from the water before winds shift and how much that is offset by evaporational cooling. For Eastern LI and south shore things will likely be close. Outside of that, though, I'm fairly confident in a plowable on at least part of LI

58 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The coast isn’t jackpoting? Haven’t you learned? Making definitive statements A. B there’s a pretty good chance the north shore hills on the island could and will be the jackpot. C this setup is all about heavy banding which could setup anywhere 

Have I learned? LOL

Most of Long Island will be lucky to see more than an inch or two of snow out of this.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Have I learned? LOL

Most of Long Island will be lucky to see more than an inch or two of snow out of this.

Ok I’ll take that to the bank then when somewhere at 250’ on the north shore jackpots for the whole area. It has happened over and over and over agin the last few years 

15 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Who cares? You post there more than anyone else in this sub-forum. 

And anyone who wants to actually learn about this hobby cares what that forum has to say.

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Some of the high res models seem to be picking up on the heaviest totals just north of the R/S line which we so frequently see

Fits in well with my north shore LI jackpot idea. Could be dumping snow north of the LIE and raining south of the Southern State. I still think the south shore sees snow but it will be so so close 

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They are actually Lodon Plane trees. They look like Sycamores but are more stout and have knobby bark. Sycamores grow way too large for street trees.

Im not going to be confident in a forecast until I see the banding set up. Right now I like 1-8” for the city. It’s that dependent on getting into good rates 

We have a few native sycamores near the river here.  Impressive trees.

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Fits in well with my north shore LI jackpot idea. Could be dumping snow north of the LIE and raining south of the Southern State. I still think the south shore sees snow but it will be so so close 

There’s a way we can do well down here but it’ll be a really narrow window if we can keep the mid levels cold enough and banding can cool the boundary layer. The north bumps make me concerned the warm mid level air makes it here and we rain or get dry slotted. But I agree, I wouldn’t call for more than a couple of inches in our backyard. I’d say we have equal odds at a little slush and a few inches or more. NorthShoreWx might easily get double where he is. 

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

We have a few native sycamores near the river here.  Impressive trees.

That’s really cool!! I didn’t realize there where any natives on the island. Where are they? There’s a great on the corner of 25a and 106 In oyster bay.

oh and have fun with your jackpot!!

Even on a Sunday? Lots of people off Mon and the snow will be gone by Tues...I guess a contract's a contract, but I don't intend to bother with clean up at home unless we top 5 inches. Won't need to.

2"+ contractually is mookoo $$ is my pocket! Who cares if it's gone in a few hrs! I've pushed down rite slush to rain for.....hours! Capitalism, dude.

19 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s really cool!! I didn’t realize there where any natives on the island. Where are they? There’s a great on the corner of 25a and 106 In oyster bay.

oh and have fun with your jackpot!!

There's a few near the Nissequogue on either side of Rt 25.  South side of 25 is mostly fresh water, north is brackish/tidal.  There's others around.  i haven't really cataloged them but they aren't especially numerous.  A few might be planted, but I am pretty confident some are native.  It's quite difficult to tell a native from a LPT, especially since LPT is a hybrid with American Sycamore, but they seem different...often white more vivid bark under the scales on the native trees.  

3 minutes ago, The Plowsman said:
1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

2"+ contractually is mookoo $$ is my pocket! Who cares if it's gone in a few hrs! I've push down rite slush to rain for.....hours! Capitalism, dude.

Well it has been a lean winter in our parts as you've mentioned, so I hope you make some dough. 

3 minutes ago, The Plowsman said:
41 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:
Some of the high res models seem to be picking up on the heaviest totals just north of the R/S line which we so frequently see

Again, there you go! CNJ..the tristate snow hole lol

Hmmm....thought snow hole meant we get less...am I misinformed?

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived