• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

53 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They are actually Lodon Plane trees. They look like Sycamores but are more stout and have knobby bark. Sycamores grow way too large for street trees.

Im not going to be confident in a forecast until I see the banding set up. Right now I like 1-8” for the city. It’s that dependent on getting into good rates 

Really tough one. I'm still going conservative because of the marginal setup, but I can also see it busting high if banding does set up overhead and it pounds for a few hours. A few inches is still the most likely outcome IMO. 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Is it me or am I just not seeing a whole lot of enthusiasm for this storm? Is it because it's going to torch right after? I mean, I'm frankly hoping it produces a decent 4-6.

That and the fact that the coast isn’t expected to see the most snow. If the JP was over Long Island this place would be rocking. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I’m still somewhat wary of the last second bump north that seems to be a feature of most storms now. The trends today were good for the NYC area for sure, but there’s still time for the low to bump further north and put the mid level warmth in play. 

The last minute bump North shouldn’t be a surprise like you said, this is a classic back and forth the last two days.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’m still somewhat wary of the last second bump north that seems to be a feature of most storms now. The trends today were good for the NYC area for sure, but there’s still time for the low to bump further north and put the mid level warmth in play. 

We've also seen a lot of busts over the last few years. And the setup doesn't look like a slam dunk, from what I am reading here. I have seen storms canceled often enough to know better. I remember a few where we never saw a flake.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The last minute bump North shouldn’t be a surprise like you said, this is a classic back and forth the last two days.

it would not surprise me at all. It just hasn't been our year here. I can see waking up tomorrow to read in here that the whole thing shifted north and will draw in rain, giving us the usual 1-2 inch slop over to rain.

Just now, Snowlover11 said:

that plus people have been spoiled over the years of big storms.  alot of people snooze over a 1-3/2-4/3-5 inch storm.

My wife likes them better. Who wants to clean 12 plus inches of snow? 3-6 inches is nice. Careful of the wet snow though, it's hard on the back and heart. 3-6 in this pattern really doesn't even need to be cleaned. It will melt fast.

25 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That and the fact that the coast isn’t expected to see the most snow. If the JP was over Long Island this place would be rocking. 

The coast isn’t jackpoting? Haven’t you learned? Making definitive statements A. B there’s a pretty good chance the north shore hills on the island could and will be the jackpot. C this setup is all about heavy banding which could setup anywhere 

14 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

it would not surprise me at all. It just hasn't been our year here. I can see waking up tomorrow to read in here that the whole thing shifted north and will draw in rain, giving us the usual 1-2 inch slop over to rain.

I think you may need to head to the philly forum if you want to commiserate over “not our year”.

im at 26.8” on a 28” average. That includes a 14” blizzard.

-4 standerd deviation west based NAO on the way. During peak snow climatology. Next weeks torch will be just another thing that makes this winter memorable.

i really hope some nuke band sets up right over the heart of the met so the naysayers can look out the window and see two inch rates. At night mind you. Sticking??? Yeah everywhere....

They are actually Lodon Plane trees. They look like Sycamores but are more stout and have knobby bark. Sycamores grow way too large for street trees.
Im not going to be confident in a forecast until I see the banding set up. Right now I like 1-8” for the city. It’s that dependent on getting into good rates 
1-8"!? That even a forecast lol

1 minute ago, The Plowsman said:
2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

1-8"!? That even a forecast lol

The safest one right now. It could easily be a car topper in the city or a blue bomb. After I see the high res short term models in the am I’ll make a more detailed call. This is one of those events where rates mean everything. Especially in manhattan which is what matters most to me personally 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think you may need to head to the philly forum if you want to commiserate over “not our year”.

im at 26.8” on a 28” average. That includes a 14” blizzard.

-4 standerd deviation west based NAO on the way. During peak snow climatology. Next weeks torch will be just another thing that makes this winter memorable.

i really hope some nuke band sets up right over the heart of the met so the naysayers can look out the window and see two inch rates. At night mind you. Sticking??? Yeah everywhere....

Yeah we are nowhere near that in my area, I think we are at 12. Are you on LI? I personally don't even pay attention to the forecast for LI, much of it's weather is irrelevant to mine, about as much as DC or Balt. It's a big forum. NJ from about Middlesex Co up through Newark and a little further northeast hasn't had a good year. Parts of the coast did well Jan 4.

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The safest one right now. It could easily be a car topper in the city or a blue bomb. After I see the high res short term models in the am I’ll make a more detailed call. This is one of those events where rates mean everything. Especially in manhattan which is what matters most to me personally 

Oh c'mon make a call. No one will tease you if you are wrong. I promise.

7 minutes ago, The Plowsman said:
31 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:
that plus people have been spoiled over the years of big storms.  alot of people snooze over a 1-3/2-4/3-5 inch storm.

Not me...i'm out clockin the $$ lol

Even on a Sunday? Lots of people off Mon and the snow will be gone by Tues...I guess a contract's a contract, but I don't intend to bother with clean up at home unless we top 5 inches. Won't need to.

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived