• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday the 18th ... storm idea/early thoughts...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's interesting just considering the NAM over the last 24 or so hour's worth of runs ...it's gone from an advisory fluff thing to more of a low-end warning blue bomb.. 

Very spring like event frankly -  ... won't go there as I know it will piss off the locals... but, the 2-m temps sore in the low to mid 40s post rapid clearing and left over d-slope flow by 18z Sunday... with drippy glop to almost 6" or more. 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's interesting just considering the NAM over the last 24 or so hour's worth of runs ...it's gone from an advisory fluff thing to more of a low-end warning blue bomb.. 

Very spring like event frankly -  ... won't go there as I know it will piss off the locals... but, the 2-m temps sore in the low to mid 40s post rapid clearing and left over d-slope flow by 18z Sunday... with drippy glop to almost 6" or more. 

We had a similar type system you describe in March 1997...believe it was March 10, 1997. Storm rolled in around 3am as a predicted 1-3/2-4" type deal...kind of blew up a bit more than expected S of LI and we it dumped near 6" of fluff. Temps were about 26-28F early that morning. The snow was over by 9am....we ended up with a snow day out of it. By 11am, no pavement had any snow left on it rendering the shoveling I did at 8-9am as a superfluous exercise. We soared into the low to middle 40s (prob high 40s in the downslope spots) with dripping all afternoon. By nightfall, a crust reformed on top of the snow, which was now abut 2 inches deep. You would have never known it was once 6 inches of picturesque fluff.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Is Reggie designed to be accurate beyond 24-36 hours let alone 84?

No, or if it is, it doesn't perform well anyway.

These shorter term models should really only be given much weight once inside of 36 hours...even at 48 hours, the RGEM has its issues. It is still not totally useless though to look at them...especialy if you have a system where the mesoscale and/or non-hydrostatic aspects of the modesl may have an advantage. You just have to remember the overall larger scale synoptic are usually inferior to globals.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had a similar type system you describe in March 1997...believe it was March 10, 1997. Storm rolled in around 3am as a predicted 1-3/2-4" type deal...kind of blew up a bit more than expected S of LI and we it dumped near 6" of fluff. Temps were about 26-28F early that morning. The snow was over by 9am....we ended up with a snow day out of it. By 11am, no pavement had any snow left on it rendering the shoveling I did at 8-9am as a superfluous exercise. We soared into the low to middle 40s (prob high 40s in the downslope spots) with dripping all afternoon. By nightfall, a crust reformed on top of the snow, which was now abut 2 inches deep. You would have never known it was once 6 inches of picturesque fluff.

Yeah it does sound like your describing THIS nam's look ...  obviously not exactly.

I was a bit shocked to see the NAM so intense back this way given how late it gets the 925 and 850 lows developing, however, the NAM has incredibly intense 700mb VV's and a really solid strip of frontogenesis. The NAM would be a total crusher out east. There is a strip of really above average SST's just off the coast and I think this strip has really helped to enhance these "smaller" events this winter. We have seen several of what appeared to be small events overperform and one of my theories is due to this pocket of higher SSTA's. Looks like the track of the system too would go right over these waters and that would not only further enhance frontogenesis but develop some instability to further enhance snowfall intensity potential. 

The GFS is even less impressive with the development of the 925/850 lows and is a bit further south and east but still suggests the possibility for a solid hit...just a matter of track/placement. I think this is going to be a pretty solid hit favoring eastern CT/RI and into portions of SE MA. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder how well we'll be able to do with snowgrowth and ratios. With southwesterly flow in the low and mid-levels we do pump in some WAA and see temps aloft warm. Looks like some sneaky warm air in the 700mb level could work in which could hurt snow production. 

Plenty cold.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Plenty cold.

Looked like on the Waterbury sounding from NAM bufkit the -10 line started to tickle the SGZ and 700mb temps warmed up to around -7C but then I guess they cool off quite quickly. 

But I overall like how things look. I think there will be a solid 6-10'' zone somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Decent s/w under us on the GFS and the soundings aren't bad either. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The queens are out.

Yep...watch the track of the vortmax. This is pretty classic. GGEM would actually argue for snow up into CNE at least with that track. It's just kind of rounded with the shortwave...but that's something I'd expect them to have a bias toward.

Archived