• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday the 18th ... storm idea/early thoughts...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM beyond 24 hours....so take with a grain of salt. But it does show the potential with this vigorous little system. You track that nice compact vortmax just underneath SNE like that from NYC to the Cape, then you're looking at extremely intense ML fronto banding and prob some CSI thrown in there too. Exceptionally heavy snowfall rates for a few hours under that dynamic setup.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NAM beyond 24 hours....so take with a grain of salt. But it does show the potential with this vigorous little system. You track that nice compact vortmax just underneath SNE like that from NYC to the Cape, then you're looking at extremely intense ML fronto banding and prob some CSI thrown in there too. Exceptionally heavy snowfall rates for a few hours under that dynamic setup.

It’s been showing a little unstable/-EPV layer for awhile too. Pretty good height falls in 12 hrs. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

We're seeing increasing interaction with the PV over time on guidance. I think we can see this UL vort consolidate more and the H5 shortwave amp up even further from what the 12z Nam is showing...But I think 12z NAM is pretty close to showing the max potential for this little guy...

still think this goes north and impacts NNE to to PV interaction?  This still looks like a 6 hour storm to me, extremely fast flow.

2 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

still think this goes north and impacts NNE to to PV interaction?  This still looks like a 6 hour storm to me, extremely fast flow.

It's a quick hitter, but the flow is not extremely fast. Disturbance won't gain much latitude beyond what the 12z NAM shows. Flow is too zonal. That said, going forward we can see this "slow" a bit further off the NE coast, as the 12z NAM shows a bit of a negative tilt developing...Negative tilt would help alter the trajectory and broaden impacts, giving a slightly longer duration.  I don't think this is gaining much latitude beyond what the 12z NAM shows. 

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

it's starting to remind me a little of 2005, Dec ... The same potency at mid levels is not there [yet?], but,... the idea of running a difluence axis right over top a seriously compressed llv thickness gradient (thus maximizing UVM) is reasonably analogous as a singular component in a system comparison... 

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

It's a quick hitter, but the flow is not extremely fast. Disturbance won't gain much latitude beyond what the 12z NAM shows. Flow is too zonal. That said, going forward we can see this "slow" a bit further off the NE coast, as the 12z NAM shows a bit of a negative tilt developing...Negative tilt would help alter the trajectory and broaden impacts, giving a slightly longer duration.  I don't think this is gaining much latitude beyond what the 12z NAM shows. 

Mmm... this one may not?  Buuut conceptually/synoptically, I'm not sure I agree with the absolute tenor of this bold statement :) 

We are just starting to sample this thing on the 12z initialization over western Canada and so forth..  If it gets more potent it will roll out a little more lead side s/w ridging which could easily trigger a synoptic feed-back/mean a 100 miles N(S) adjustment in deep layer track in closer hours.   

Archived