• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday the 18th ... storm idea/early thoughts...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not sure it's that ridiculous. Many good winters in SE MA featured good winters in the Berks too.

Anyways, NAM is a nuke. 

The thing is the coastal sections are definitely an all or nothing type climate.  You guys probably average just as many 6"+ or 8"+ events a winter as the interior, if not more than interior valleys.  The coastal plain area doesn't really nickel and dime...it's like a few weeks without an event and then you get a 6-10 incher.  

Meanwhile the Berkshire spots have been getting some events and tickling the annual tally up...but as soon as the next 6"+ event comes for the coastal plain everyone seems to forget the multiple wintry events inland that may have been a mixed bag or only a few inches followed by sleet while the coast was raining.  

The highlands get some good events for sure but in terms of percentage of annual climate snow that comes from 6"+ events, the areas within 50 miles of the coast wins hands down.

26 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GFS clearly has no idea on this storm.  I had said earlier today that with systems that aren’t Miller As or Miller Bs such as SWFEs we often see the GFS be too far northwest vs it’s usual tendency to be biased SE.  There is still a better chance this misses than it gives everyone rain 

I agree

I think a miss is  an option. I thought the other day it wasn't though.

Gefs is further north than the op

32 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GFS clearly has no idea on this storm.  I had said earlier today that with systems that aren’t Miller As or Miller Bs such as SWFEs we often see the GFS be too far northwest vs it’s usual tendency to be biased SE.  There is still a better chance this misses than it gives everyone rain 

This is within the ensemble spread of both the EPS and GEFS, however. 

12 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

North of the OP I presume?

They are.  Just pointing out what they show.  The way I see the GFS, it gives these wild scenarios from days 5-6 that are either amped or suppressed than just when we think we see it lock on, it goes the other way, only to start the slow march north in track.  That's what I think we just saw with the 18z run.  

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The thing is the coastal sections are definitely an all or nothing type climate.  You guys probably average just as many 6"+ or 8"+ events a winter as the interior, if not more than interior valleys.  The coastal plain area doesn't really nickel and dime...it's like a few weeks without an event and then you get a 6-10 incher.  

Meanwhile the Berkshire spots have been getting some events and tickling the annual tally up...but as soon as the next 6"+ event comes for the coastal plain everyone seems to forget the multiple wintry events inland that may have been a mixed bag or only a few inches followed by sleet while the coast was raining.  

The highlands get some good events for sure but in terms of percentage of annual climate snow that comes from 6"+ events, the areas within 50 miles of the coast wins hands down.

I'd rather do it coastal style.

No doubt.

Archived