Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

DT's map isn't terrible, but his 2" - 4" zone just NW of BWI and DCA could bust if the chips fall the right way.

Keep in mind the DCA on his map is located in MoCo and the BWI on his map is located in Baltimore Co. his map accounts for elevation better then LWX snow map which shows Front Royal, Va and Laurel, MD in the same zone.

43 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

DT's map isn't terrible, but his 2" - 4" zone just NW of BWI and DCA could bust if the chips fall the right way.

Yea, not a bad map but 4 out 5 storms like this the northern tier is usually pretty similar so the contours should bend more west to east with the higher totals. Just being picky.

1-3" in most of MoCo except for the Clarksburg/Damascus zone is my guess. I could see 3-4" in the nw corner of MoCo as long as precip cooperates. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Second best storm of the year. Outside chance it takes the top spot. Sucks that leesburg is dead center of the split bands though. You might have to use traffic cams to get your fix. 

Will definitely be my biggest storm of the year. No doubt in my mind about that. But I dont see 4-6 happening. I think 2-4 is probably realistic though.

NWS Pitt hoisted WSW for the mountains in Garrett County and Preston/Tucker WV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
709 PM EST Fri Feb 16 2018

MDZ001-WVZ512-514-170815-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0002.180217T1900Z-180218T0900Z/
Garrett-Eastern Preston-Eastern Tucker-
Including the cities of Mountain Lake Park, Oakland MD,
Grantsville, Terra Alta, Rowlesburg, Hazelton, Davis, Thomas,
and Canaan Valley
709 PM EST Fri Feb 16 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of around
  6 inches are possible.

* WHERE...In Maryland, Garrett County. In West Virginia, Eastern
  Preston and Eastern Tucker Counties.

* WHEN...From Saturday afternoon through late Saturday night.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Significant reductions in visibility are possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
to monitor the latest forecasts.

3 minutes ago, WestminsterSnowCapitalMA said:

WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 4 inches
  are expected with localized amounts of 5 inches on the hill
  tops.

that will get us a warning in northern MD. how about that retrograding low @ 330 on the gfs 

Not going to happen... 5 inches in a 12 hour period is the minimum  for a WSW.

Winter Storm Warning

A Winter Storm Warning is issued when a significant combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring or imminent.

Significant and hazardous winter weather is defined as a combination of:
1)  5 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 12-hour period or 7 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 24-hour period
AND/OR
2)  Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.
AND/OR
3)  a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and/or ice accumulation with wind.

The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Storm Warning for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (6 inches or more within a 12-hour period; 8 inches or more within a 24-hour period).

Winter Weather Advisory

A Winter Weather Advisory will be issued for any amount of freezing rain, or when 2 to 4 inches of snow (alone or in combination with sleet and freezing rain), is expected to cause a significant inconvenience, but not serious enough to warrant a warning.

If the event is expected to impact the Baltimore/Washington metro areas during rush hours (4-9 am or 2-7 pm on weekdays) forecasted snow totals of one inch will necessitate the issuance of a winter weather advisory. The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Weather Advisory for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (3-5 inches).

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived