Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

It's cliche and all bit the euro has been a granite boulder with this one. This jumping around at 18z doesn't shake me at all. We're good until around 1am. 

it's not a problem until it's a problem.  i'll feel better about the icon if the gfs doesn't show that type of downsloping/dryness.  it would seem a bit odd to have jumpy precip in this type of event since it's not a clipper.

The split idea could be real. It's gaining support. Can't ignore that. A screw zone between the banding along the baroclinic zone and the band further north with the best upper level support. It happens just unfortunate if it ends up setting up right through the corridor. I'm a little nervous the northern band shifts north more. If I don't break 3" I'm pretty sure that will be why. But it not a storm if im not nervous. At this point I'm rooting to get under the northern band and the 95 corridor is rooting for the southern one. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's cliche and all bit the euro has been a granite boulder with this one. This jumping around at 18z doesn't shake me at all. We're good until around 1am. 

It's not time to panic but I'm not discounting the split screw job either. I've leaned on that euro can't be wrong at this range before and had it pulled out from under me. Anythings possible. But I don't trust the models to nail the location of those bands from this range anyways. Hopefully the euro is correct with a more consolidated look but even the euro did hint a bit at the split. It just wasn't nearly as pronounced. 

I see the ICON has gone with a widespread 1-3" again.  It's had that forecast, with relatively minor variations, on every run for nearly a week now.  On the other hand it has been all over the place on what happens north of us once the coastal forms.  I wonder if for some reason it has a hard time with coastal storms. 

We're still learning its strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it.  It did pretty well on January 17th.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50849-post-event-model-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=4821690

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Gfs added some to precip totals compared to 12z. Should be up to .4-.5 by 12z tomorrow. 

No split worries. Whew!

like you said it looks like things are getting locked in.  the details will determine the boom/bust, but looks like we're gonna see some snow and given the way this winter has been, that's a win.

8 minutes ago, cae said:

I see the ICON has gone with a widespread 1-3" again.  It's had that forecast, with relatively minor variations, on every run for nearly a week now.  On the other hand it has been all over the place on what happens north of us once the coastal forms.  I wonder if for some reason it has a hard time with coastal storms. 

We're still learning its strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it.  It did pretty well on January 17th.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50849-post-event-model-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=4821690

One of those columns is longer then the other. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs added some to precip totals compared to 12z. Should be up to .4-.5 by 12z tomorrow. 

No split worries. Whew!

I think some are looking at it wrong. There will be banding. It happens in every storm. But given the marginal temps and the short duration getting stuck between bands for a couple hours can have a more drastic impact than in a longer colder storm where it evens out more. And I do think the 3k nam and HRDPS with their higher res are picking up on the idea banding features. But there is no way to accurately place those meso features 24 hours out. That's like figuring out exactly where a line of thunderstorms will set up and where the severe cells will be. Yes someone will get hurt by subsidence between bands but that's not something worth worrying too much about 24 hours out. Now if tomorrow afternoon we can see on radar that we are going to be stuck between banding then it's legitimate. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived