Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Old forecaster rule "Warm air advection snow waits for no one".  Might be a 3 or 4 pm start for places like Frederick and Hagerstown.  

At least this is the type of event that has potential to end up better than expected. Rain to snow rarely works in our favor. Especially in my yard. Snow to rain is more of a coin flip. I just want to see snow fall again dammit. If it comes down heavy for an hour while walking my dog then I got my fill to tide me over until the mega blocked march bomb comes in a couple weeks. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

At least this is the type of event that has potential to end up better than expected. Rain to snow rarely works in our favor. Especially in my yard. Snow to rain is more of a coin flip. I just want to see snow fall again dammit. If it comes down heavy for an hour while walking my dog then I got my fill to tide me over until the mega blocked march bomb comes in a couple weeks. 

100% agree

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

that mega block is also falling apart

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Through 0z looks good for snow then things go a little haywire. 850's up to +3 by 6z along the corridor. Precip is mostly done by then so what happens between 0-6z makes or breaks it. My 2-3" call is optimistic but probable on the euro. Not much room to wiggle anymore. That's for sure. 

Kinda like I said after the early 12z returns. I'm not upset with how things look now. If this was go time I would feel good. But I'm concerned we've lost all our breathing room. Any further warming of north trend and we are in trouble and there is still 48 hours to go. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, some sort of -NAO is a lock imho. I'm not going to derail this thread but if you want a chance at a good March snow event then you can't ask for much of a better look down the line. 

I like your positive vibes . Many times positive thinking can equate to a positive outcome, weather zen   :-)

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Sadly it does. If we reserve an F for the bottom 20% of winters all it takes at DCA is 4.9" for the whole winter. It's a pretty low bar. 

We all have our own metrics. It's subjective. By a snow only metric it's pretty bad. But we had 10" of ice on the lakes earlier this winter and I skated a bunch. That doesn't happen every year at all. A sub 10" snow year that includes no frozen lakes and ponds is my failure bar. Lets not go down this road though. We can all grade whatever we want. I think we can all agree that this winter has felt like winter in general. Beyond that becomes personal. 

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Sun angle again?  Really?  And with the way the pattern is setting up, if it comes to fruition like the GEFS has been showing, spring is not likely to be here next month (as in highs above the 50s)

Sun angle crap shows you who knows something and who parrots junk 

its barely mid feb, the sun is still dead, 30 days from now Huge difference but sun is like mid November right now. Waiting for someone to offer how the Dec/Jan "drought" will effect this 

21 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

its barely mid feb, the sun is still dead, 30 days from now Huge difference but sun is like mid November right now. Waiting for someone to offer how the Dec/Jan "drought" will effect this 

I don't know Tenman. I was just walking Wonderdog, and the sun was out and felt pretty strong to my Irish skin.

35 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

I'm not going to get into this, but the sun is not "dead", trees are blooming in South Carolina for goodness sake. And I'm pretty sure the sun angle is more analogous to October at this point, not November. See UV indexes for reference. 

35 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Not saying the sun angle has a little or a lot of influence, but it is not equivalent to mid November. Closer to October. October 26 to be precise. Day length is also pretty close to Oct. 26. Highest altitude for the two days: Feb 15, 38.6 degrees - Oct 26, 38.5 degrees. It does feel nice and warm (not toasty) when there is no wind. A month ago it didn't feel warm even without wind. A month from now it will be warm to toasty. And at 49.3 degrees.

55 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We all have our own metrics. It's subjective. By a snow only metric it's pretty bad. But we had 10" of ice on the lakes earlier this winter and I skated a bunch. That doesn't happen every year at all. A sub 10" snow year that includes no frozen lakes and ponds is my failure bar. Lets not go down this road though. We can all grade whatever we want. I think we can all agree that this winter has felt like winter in general. Beyond that becomes personal. 

Grades are subjective but it gets annoying when some give an F to like 60% of winters. If I failed 60% of my students I would be out of a job. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived