• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

00z GFS is looking fairly flat at 500 through hr 60. Progressive N/S wave with no real dig to the wave. This is not a favorable track for accumulating snows for us.
When the CRAS is in line with the flat look the GFS shows, with the known bias the CRAS has to be extremely overamplified, that in and of itself should tell us which camp probably has the better idea. The gfs has been the king with the ns progressive nina pattern this season for a reason.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
5 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:
00z GFS is looking fairly flat at 500 through hr 60. Progressive N/S wave with no real dig to the wave. This is not a favorable track for accumulating snows for us.

When the CRAS is in line with the flat look the GFS shows, with the known bias the CRAS has to be extremely overamplified, that in and of itself should tell us which camp probably has the better idea. The gfs has been the king with the ns progressive nina pattern this season for a reason.

That’s spot on. Think about it overall...how many progressive N/S waves coming in a west to east pattern ever give this region a hard hit of snow? Just no way for that coastal to get going fast enough or amplify near the coast, so you rely on the front end thump, which is less in a sheared flat pattern the GFS shows.

That’s spot on. Think about it overall...how many progressive N/S waves coming in a west to east pattern ever give this region a hard hit of snow? Just no way for that coastal to get going fast enough or amplify near the coast, so you rely on the front end thump, which is less in a sheared flat pattern the GFS shows.
The strange thing tho is how the NAVGEM has the most amped up solution. The overamped bias cras is flat AF. Left is right, up is down......im not sure what to think but yeah, definitely leaning towards gfs having the better general idea even if it is somewhat 'by itself' verbatim at the surface. A Vegas prop bet on taking the gfs right now would probably have a good payout. Put me down for a dollar :-)

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
12 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

You actually looked at the cras?

I'll worry about the GFS more when at least one other model supports it (the CRAS doesn't count).  The extended RGEM looks good.  Cut back on snow a bit, mostly in SE areas (temp issues, I think), but there's a 4-6" strip along and NW of I95 with locally higher amounts.

4 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Cold air is gone though. Look where the high is...well off north and east so the wedge is also being eroded out. 

That's also a function of lack of precip. If the WAA comes in hot and heavy then evap cooling would get things right. Imho- the warmer mids on the gfs are more related to having no precip than a big change in the antecedent airmass. 

ETA: I expect mixing in my yard either way. But the front end could be decent snowfall no problem if we get the slug in here. 

That's also a function of lack of precip. If the WAA comes in hot and heavy then evap cooling would get things right. Imho- the warmer mids on the gfs are more related to having no precip than a big change in the antecedent airmass. 
Yep. Weaker is the worst thing now. Not north or South

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Hahaha...good reminder. I think I can remember at least 3 times in the last 24 hours that you've reminded us of this. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

ETA: I expect mixing in my yard either way. But the front end could be decent snowfall no problem if we get the slug in here. 

No question, but on that run it’s not supported. Just looks too suppressed.

Just now, MD Snow said:

Hahaha...good reminder. I think I can remember at least 3 times in the last 24 hours that you've reminded us of this. 

It's worked in our favor many times with snow to rain events over the years. If you can get an isothermal column with good rates, insitu CAD generally overperforms. Except with the RGEM. That meso seems too cold too often. 

4 minutes ago, cae said:

I'll worry about the GFS more when at least one other model supports it (the CRAS doesn't count).  The extended RGEM looks good.  Cut back on snow a bit, mostly in SE areas (temp issues, I think), but there's a 4-6" strip along and NW of I95 with locally higher amounts.

Where do you get that?

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's worked in our favor many times with snow to rain events over the years. If you can get an isothermal column with good rates, insitu CAD generally overperforms. Except with the RGEM. That meso seems too cold too often. 

There have been many documented times if the front end thump over performing. Feb 21st 2015, Presidents Day 2016. All examples. Of course if the GFS scenario does happen, we get no front end thump whatsoever

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived